Voy: Alter Ego

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
bronnt
Officer

Voy: Alter Ego

Post by bronnt »

Link: http://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/v855.php

I had forgotten this episode. I read the premise and I recalled some of the details: Harry Kim falls in love with holodeck character and then decides he wants to be emotionless because....he's Harry Kim and is so awkwardly written it makes me embarrassed to watch him. But I thought it was much later and was one of the ladies from Fair Haven, so this whole Luau thing had entirely slipped my mind.

Honestly, I'm surprised Chuck actually liked this one. It's nice in that it's one of a VERY few episodes that actually develops Tuvok's character (I hope he reviews "Gravity" sometime soon), but to me everything about it was cringe inducing. It's yet another story of holodeck shenanigans when that story is very, very tired. It's Harry Kim falling in love with yet another character well after it's established that he's in love with Libby and that she's probably waiting for him back home. Harry Kim is so poorly written that you can see Garrett Wang just refusing to give a crap about this episode.

Plus, the overall main plot about a woman threatening to destroy Voyager because she's obsessed with Tuvok, that also made me cringe. Something about that idea made me rather uncomfortable.
Arkle
Officer

Re: Voy: Alter Ego

Post by Arkle »

I honestly did not expect Chuck to score this episode as high as he did. I do not remember this episode fondly.
Incorrect Voyager Quotes: http://incorrectvoyagerquotes.tumblr.com/
My Voyager fic, A Fire of Devotion: http://archiveofourown.org/series/404320
---
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

So should waifuism be added to the list of things Trek predicted?
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

Wasn't there a TNG episode where some kid tried to get rid of his emotions by emulating Data?
Arkle
Officer

Post by Arkle »

J!! wrote:Wasn't there a TNG episode where some kid tried to get rid of his emotions by emulating Data?
Yep. "Hero Worship." Poor kid blamed himself for an event that killed everyone on his ship but him becuase he'd leaned on a console, but Data figures out that was just a coincidence and it was actually the ship's own shields that caused the disaster.
Incorrect Voyager Quotes: http://incorrectvoyagerquotes.tumblr.com/
My Voyager fic, A Fire of Devotion: http://archiveofourown.org/series/404320
---
nebagram
Officer

Post by nebagram »

bronnt wrote:Harry Kim is so poorly written that you can see Garrett Wang just refusing to give a crap about this episode.
Wasn't this the episode where Wang had flu and was filming with a 102 fever or something?

Either way, I agree the episode stank. Then again, it's a Harry Kim sex episode, which is a bit like trying to put on a serious performance of Shakespeare where every character is wearing a massive pair of fake tits, it just terminally weighs the episode down to the point where I barely remembered that it was a Tuvok episode until I watched the review.
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

I'd say the review score is pretty good evidence that Chuck is actually pretty fair. For many viewers, myself included, reading the premise alone is enough for an eye roll and instant -2 on the scorecard. For me, merely decent character work isn't enough to save what is not a very worthy story for a show with such a wide range of possibilities.

On the other hand, maybe the score is greater evidence that the show isn't very good.
The owls are not what they seem.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

See, if he wanted to rid himself of emotions, why didn't he go to Chakotay first?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Laeril
Redshirt

Post by Laeril »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:See, if he wanted to rid himself of emotions, why didn't he go to Chakotay first?
:lol: You know you've got a wooden XO on staff when the VULCAN security officer is more emotive.
A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." - Douglas Adams
TerranceMonster
Redshirt

Post by TerranceMonster »

Harry, Harry, Harry...

1) Falling in love with a holadeck character is like falling in love with an Inflate-A-Date™ or a RealDoll™.
2) Me thinks you're making that all too common mistake of getting love and lust mixed up.
3) As usual, you're a cautionary tale waiting to happen when it comes to such matters.
Last edited by TerranceMonster on Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terrance The Tentacle Monster