The Abortion Debate

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Admiral X
Captain

Re: The Abortion Debate

Post by Admiral X »

It's why I really look down on people trying to legislate their morality on others.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

Admiral X wrote:It's why I really look down on people trying to legislate their morality on others.
So you look down on everyone that has ever had a political opinion ever? All legislation has a moral element to it, Plato and Aristotle figured that out forever ago.
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Yeah, but there's a difference between legislation which has a basis in actual objectively measurable harms/benefits, and one that's based on something like "My 3,000 year-old book says so".
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Yeah, but there's a difference between legislation which has a basis in actual objectively measurable harms/benefits, and one that's based on something like "My 3,000 year-old book says so".
It's more immediately based on the classical liberal notion that the state is obligated to protect innocent life, which most people would agree has some objective benefits, the real question is: what counts as life? Which sure as hell isn't going to be answered through internet bickering.

I'm not anti-abortion BTW, I'm just trying to break up the circlejerk.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Well, we wouldn't want any appearance of consensus and understanding around here; how else are we going to get Chuck to come in here to tell us all to behave afterall?
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

Robovski wrote:Well, we wouldn't want any appearance of consensus and understanding around here; how else are we going to get Chuck to come in here to tell us all to behave afterall?
Bit late to respond to this one but as long as everyone is not letting their passions getting the better of them and keeps the debate civil, everything is fine.

The purpose of discussion is not to arrive at a consensus though. It is to express, challenge and have your own ideas challenged. Sometimes another's point of view will change your own opinion, other times it will not but you may discover why someone else has to their own conclusion.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Fixer wrote:
Robovski wrote:Well, we wouldn't want any appearance of consensus and understanding around here; how else are we going to get Chuck to come in here to tell us all to behave afterall?
Bit late to respond to this one but as long as everyone is not letting their passions getting the better of them and keeps the debate civil, everything is fine.

The purpose of discussion is not to arrive at a consensus though. It is to express, challenge and have your own ideas challenged. Sometimes another's point of view will change your own opinion, other times it will not but you may discover why someone else has to their own conclusion.
Well, that was pure snark, to be fair. I know we don't have to agree; I don't expect us to agree, we are nerds on the internet after all, we fight over everything.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

lets all have a viscous argument about what arguments are for!
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

J!! wrote:lets all have a viscous argument about what arguments are for!
What for? It's really simple. Everyone is allowed to keep his arguments and argue, because it doesn't change the fact that I am right and everyone else is wrong, unless they happen to agree with me. Also, your mom.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Rabble rabble rabble rabble!