Prince Philip Dies

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Prince Philip Dies

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

The colonizers who presided over the imperial occupation of India do not get the benefit of the doubt.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

Um, I might be mistaken, but I don't think Philip really did anything about India. I know his uncle Louis Montbadden was like one of the last governors of India, but Philip was a young naval officer when India gained independence right? Didn't Philip also save a stranded pacific islanders life against the wishes of the Captain of the Ship he was on and go of course to bring him back to his home island? I'm no Prince Philip apologist, but don't blame him for things he didn't actually do.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I am willing to concede that I might have to look further into the subject so as to gain a better informed opinion. Prince Philip really hasn't been on my radar for that long.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

My knowledge of Price Phillip is from what I have read from sites like Ranker and what I have seen on The Crown.
I got nothing to say here.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:02 am My knowledge of Price Phillip is from what I have read from sites like Ranker and what I have seen on The Crown.
I'm sorry for your loss.
Power laces... alright.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:09 am
McAvoy wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:02 am My knowledge of Price Phillip is from what I have read from sites like Ranker and what I have seen on The Crown.
I'm sorry for your loss.
???? Loss of knowledge?
I got nothing to say here.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Muzer wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:23 pm To be honest I suspect that was probably a failed attempt at a joke, rather than him actually wishing death on large numbers of people.

I think the think about Prince Philip is that a lot of people saw him as like your granddad who constantly makes jokes but just doesn't realise (or, if you want to be cynical, is willingly ignorant to) how hurtful it is to some people to say the sorts of things he does. I think because so many people know someone like that a lot of people were more willing to cut him slack even for his worse blunders.
He's just a Brit. You have to understand the acerbic culture to get it just like with Far Eastern politeness and face saving. Take a look at British comedies and how everyone is antagonistic towards one another right down to families in a way America comedies aren't. About the closest America came to was Frasier with how he and his circle are always trading barbs at one another.

So long as you know he didn't mean any harm willfully, you can laugh at his boldness. An example of that was a friend my mom made years ago. After sitting silently as his own friend chatted with her for the better part of an hour, he finally said "You've got a nice pair of tits!", to which my mom laughed at. She knew it was in jest and respected his boldness which made them fast friends.

Take the "eating dogs for the anorexic" joke. Philip made it at a blindness research fund raiser or something he'd attended specifically because he himself dealt with his own diminishing vision problems. If he was making fun of the blind, he was joking about himself as well.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:48 pm I am willing to concede that I might have to look further into the subject so as to gain a better informed opinion. Prince Philip really hasn't been on my radar for that long.
Here's some more right up your alley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mi2ocQU6_Y
Muzer
Redshirt

Post by Muzer »

Beastro wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:27 am
Muzer wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:23 pm To be honest I suspect that was probably a failed attempt at a joke, rather than him actually wishing death on large numbers of people.

I think the think about Prince Philip is that a lot of people saw him as like your granddad who constantly makes jokes but just doesn't realise (or, if you want to be cynical, is willingly ignorant to) how hurtful it is to some people to say the sorts of things he does. I think because so many people know someone like that a lot of people were more willing to cut him slack even for his worse blunders.
He's just a Brit. You have to understand the acerbic culture to get it just like with Far Eastern politeness and face saving. Take a look at British comedies and how everyone is antagonistic towards one another right down to families in a way America comedies aren't. About the closest America came to was Frasier with how he and his circle are always trading barbs at one another.

So long as you know he didn't mean any harm willfully, you can laugh at his boldness. An example of that was a friend my mom made years ago. After sitting silently as his own friend chatted with her for the better part of an hour, he finally said "You've got a nice pair of tits!", to which my mom laughed at. She knew it was in jest and respected his boldness which made them fast friends.

Take the "eating dogs for the anorexic" joke. Philip made it at a blindness research fund raiser or something he'd attended specifically because he himself dealt with his own diminishing vision problems. If he was making fun of the blind, he was joking about himself as well.
I'm a Brit myself. British comedy is more about self-deprecation I find; putting down others is mostly done when they know you're kidding. Of course this is why it works with comedians on TV and radio, because they know the other is only doing it for the laugh. And I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the shouting matches between Lee Mack and David Mitchell on WILTY for example — but that's exactly my point, they give as good as they get and both know it's ultimately all done for laughs. It's somewhat different when your target is someone who might be more inclined to be genuinely hurt by it.

Not saying I don't find some of Prince Philip's remarks funny either, btw; I just think sometimes they are genuinely insensitive and the potential for harm outweighs the mild amount of humour, especially for someone in such a position that he should really know better. Often if I find them funny it's more in a cringe humour sort of way, and I'm not normally one for cringe humour...
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Muzer wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:36 pm
Beastro wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:27 am

I'm a Brit myself. British comedy is more about self-deprecation I find; putting down others is mostly done when they know you're kidding. Of course this is why it works with comedians on TV and radio, because they know the other is only doing it for the laugh. And I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the shouting matches between Lee Mack and David Mitchell on WILTY for example — but that's exactly my point, they give as good as they get and both know it's ultimately all done for laughs. It's somewhat different when your target is someone who might be more inclined to be genuinely hurt by it.

Not saying I don't find some of Prince Philip's remarks funny either, btw; I just think sometimes they are genuinely insensitive and the potential for harm outweighs the mild amount of humour, especially for someone in such a position that he should really know better. Often if I find them funny it's more in a cringe humour sort of way, and I'm not normally one for cringe humour...
Self-depreciation is there, but the friendly bits at people are too. Often I find, at least in my family, that they're there as a sign to show that you're one of us. We don't rag on strangers, that would be rude, but doing it to each other shows we know and trust each other to be sarcastic or blunt.