'Sophia the robot' obtains Saudi Arabian citizenship

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
SlackerinDeNile
Officer

'Sophia the robot' obtains Saudi Arabian citizenship

Post by SlackerinDeNile »

I can't believe this is real, I thought this was some sort of satirical joke at first.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 24851.html

Why would any female want to obtain citizenship in this abusive, sexist country? Most importantly, why would anyone give human citizenship to a robot? It might be one of the most advanced androids yet but it still isn't sentient or self-aware, despite what a lot of people would like to believe. You'd be better off giving citizenship to an actual living being like a cat or a pig.

This strikes me as a bit of novelty propaganda for Saudi Arabia, trying to take the rest of the worlds mind off of all the atrocities that go on there.

I only discovered this very recently so it's still boggling my mind and raises so many unpleasant issues and questions. I might have more to say on it later.
"I am to liquor what the Crocodile Hunter is to Alligators." - Afroman
TGLS
Captain

Re: 'Sophia the robot' obtains Saudi Arabian citizenship

Post by TGLS »

Here's what I recall some of the problems are:

1) Sophia the Robot is not a Muslim, yet has been given citizenship to a country that will only grant citizenship to Muslims.
2) Sophia the Robot does not have to wear a veil, despite being in a country where women must wear veils.
3) Sophia the Robot also has more rights than many foreign workers in Saudi Arabia.

Conclusion: The wrong country was invaded in 2003.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Kinda surprised they beat Japan to this, actually. :lol:
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Admiral X wrote:Kinda surprised they beat Japan to this, actually. :lol:
Can't use bots as "body pillows", if they have citizenship. You'd would need their consent which they can not do (yet), thus making nine tenth of all human-robot interactions illegal.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox