Facebook's down... Like completely... Globally...

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Facebook's down... Like completely... Globally...

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Frustration wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:36 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:12 am If you're a monopoly, user satisfaction doesn't matter.
See the famous example of "Ma Bell" for a refutation of that argument. Although it's really not necessary - your argument would hold water only if the users' survival depended on the monopoly's service or product.
Ever read about Standard Oil? Like, the reason we created anti-monopoly laws to begin with? How well did that respond to consumer dissatisfaction?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Unwisely, given that it was so hated that laws were passed against it and a dangerous precedent was established.

Look, the key to understanding human society is to realize that everyone is an idiot, and every faction makes foolish, short-sighted decisions in what it perceives to be its immediate benefit. Corporations, the consumers, lawmakers - they're just different flavors of stupid.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Agreed. All humans are idiots - WHICH INCLUDES YOU. Me as well. Put that in your hat and chew it.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Frustration wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:59 pm Unwisely, given that it was so hated that laws were passed against it and a dangerous precedent was established.

Look, the key to understanding human society is to realize that everyone is an idiot, and every faction makes foolish, short-sighted decisions in what it perceives to be its immediate benefit. Corporations, the consumers, lawmakers - they're just different flavors of stupid.
"Everyone is an idiot" is sort of like saying "I'm not racist, I hate everyone equally". It's a useless assertion at best and a red flag at worst.

However much of an "idiot" individual people may be, we don't have nearly as much power as massive companies. Monopolies are hated and reviled, yet are no less rich for their hatred. Do you think I am doing any damage to Disney or Facebook by fuming at their evil? No, for that you need concerted action.

All I'm hearing from you is "let them do whatever they want, the free market will take care of it."
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

But I DO hate all people, regardless of their race, creed, orientation, or political stance.

But I don't hate all people EQUALLY. That would just be silly.

Free markets work wonders, but they're not panaceas. Mostly because "the people" are idiots, and make foolish and short-sighted purchasing decisions.

I've sworn off Disney. Completely. Anything they purchase is dead to me; anything they make, I will not buy, watch, or otherwise engage in. (Granted, this decision was made somewhat more easy because they've taken over some things I had already given up on, but they do turn out some good things... and I won't have any of it.)

If more people applied my standards, Disney wouldn't dare do half the nonsense they're currently trying. But they do try - because most people don't care.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984