Lesbians being pressured into sex by pre-op transwomen

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Lesbians being pressured into sex by pre-op transwomen

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Fuzzy isn't it generally understood that being a transgendered person is something commonly might need a bit of transparency when opting for conventional warp speed relationships, particularly when you're looking for a cis partner?
..What mirror universe? ;/
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Honestly genital preference seems like less a "don't accept you as your real gender" thing and more on the level of "not into brunettes" to me. They aren't interested in you, too bad. Move on.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:03 pm
Mickey_Rat15 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:26 am Except, apparently, there are a lot of gay people who disagree with that assertion and think their sexual orientation is based on the sex of their potential parrtner, not the gender identity.

Your statement is, at best, controversial.
Yes and not all trans people are gay nor do all gay people support trans rights. Trans men and women seek recognition as the sex their brain functions as. My general take on the subject is, "Treat them as the sex they identify as. Because it will cause immense suffering to them otherwise."
Except that trans people are not of the sex their gender identity matches to. Even if an accurate description of a person causes them "immeasurable harm" then that does not create an obligation on everyone else to deny the truth to spare their egos.
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Mickey_Rat15 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:34 pm
Mickey_Rat15 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:26 am Except, apparently, there are a lot of gay people who disagree with that assertion and think their sexual orientation is based on the sex of their potential parrtner, not the gender identity.

Yes and not all trans people are gay nor do all gay people support trans rights. Trans men and women seek recognition as the sex their brain functions as. My general take on the subject is, "Treat them as the sex they identify as. Because it will cause immense suffering to them otherwise."
Except that trans people are not of the sex their gender identity matches to. Even if an accurate description of a person causes them "immeasurable harm" then that does not create an obligation on everyone else to deny the truth to spare their egos.
Both medical science and the weight of human history is on the side of trans people, so what truth would you be denying by supporting them?
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

hammerofglass wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:10 pmIt's your scenario that you brought up to justify treating millions of people in an already hated group as lesser over an inherent trait.
I do not in the slightest bit understand how you come to the conclusion that what I said justifies anything the like. If someone is rejecting a partner based on any trait, it is their right to do so and noone has a say in that matter. Unless you are arguing that one partner has no say in who they want a relationship with. You do realize that, right?
hammerofglass wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:10 pmHonestly you did it so broadly you could fit anything in there. "You're well into the relationship only to feel betrayed you found out they're x (colorblind, Jewish grandma, voted for other party) therefore x are all decievers."
And this is correct. If someone is hiding something about themselves intentionally, then they are dishonest to their partner. I find honesty to be one of the most fundamental things that makes a good relationship and you seem to agree, because the point you are making is, that someone shouldn't have to hide who they are in a relationship. And this is absolutely correct, as I keep saying, but that doesn't mean that the other partner has to accept said partner whether they like whatever trait upsets them or not.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:51 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:10 pmIt's your scenario that you brought up to justify treating millions of people in an already hated group as lesser over an inherent trait.
I do not in the slightest bit understand how you come to the conclusion that what I said justifies anything the like. If someone is rejecting a partner based on any trait, it is their right to do so and noone has a say in that matter. Unless you are arguing that one partner has no say in who they want a relationship with. You do realize that, right?
hammerofglass wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:10 pmHonestly you did it so broadly you could fit anything in there. "You're well into the relationship only to feel betrayed you found out they're x (colorblind, Jewish grandma, voted for other party) therefore x are all decievers."
And this is correct. If someone is hiding something about themselves intentionally, then they are dishonest to their partner. I find honesty to be one of the most fundamental things that makes a good relationship and you seem to agree, because the point you are making is, that someone shouldn't have to hide who they are in a relationship. And this is absolutely correct, as I keep saying, but that doesn't mean that the other partner has to accept said partner whether they like whatever trait upsets them or not.
If that is what you meant and it wasn't meant as the coded language I took it as than we have no disagreement and I apologize for the misunderstanding.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

Draco Dracul wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:43 pm
Mickey_Rat15 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:34 pm

Both medical science and the weight of human history is on the side of trans people, so what truth would you be denying by supporting them?
What science says that transgender people are actually of the sex that matches the gender identity they claim?
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:24 pm Fuzzy isn't it generally understood that being a transgendered person is something commonly might need a bit of transparency when opting for conventional warp speed relationships, particularly when you're looking for a cis partner?
It is not generally understood. If you're dating somebody and you think they might be trans, it's on YOU to ask, not on THEM to disclose. If that seems awkward or embarrassing for you, just imagine how it feels for them.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:43 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:24 pm Fuzzy isn't it generally understood that being a transgendered person is something commonly might need a bit of transparency when opting for conventional warp speed relationships, particularly when you're looking for a cis partner?
It is not generally understood. If you're dating somebody and you think they might be trans, it's on YOU to ask, not on THEM to disclose. If that seems awkward or embarrassing for you, just imagine how it feels for them.
It's not really a matter of social politics, it's a standard etiquette of dating to have provision for compatibility issues in developing a relationship, especially in the case of most people expecting a sexual encounter at some point.

To say that being trans has no specific designation to relationship standards, as if it's unlike searching for a particularly straight or homosexual relationship, seems kind of unfounded or postmodern.

Though there is plenty to say about the people in a culture who do have to cringe at such a matter, and to what extent at that. But what you're talking about sounds not different from a straight man going into a lesbian bar and being subjected to lesbians getting annoyed that his conversations were of more propositional nature. It doesn't sound weird for a gay man to expect his lover to have a penis for sexual desire.
..What mirror universe? ;/
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:43 pm
This is an attitude I do not not understand. If a transperson should fear violence from a romantic interest if they find out the transperson's nature. It seems to me, as a matter of pragmatism, it is in the transperson's self-interest to control the circumstances of when and where that happens.