School bans Maus

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

School bans Maus

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/arts/holoc ... l-district

Republicans hate being called Nazis, also ban a comic book that says Nazis are bad
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
sayla0079
Captain

Re: School bans Maus

Post by sayla0079 »

They are being idiots. Books like that need to stay in schools so people learn from history and don't repeat mistakes.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Moreso they’re being honest. They want to repeat history, and need to keep as many people ignorant as possible so they’ll join them.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

I wish to strip away the rhetoric of 'right wing' and 'southern' here to question a few points.
They consider the swearing. Eight whole words of it by their own count. To be age inappropriate. On the surface that seems a valid enough concern. But then I ask, what age is this appropriate?
My own father, now 71 does not like it when his child 50 swears. At all. He does not like seeing it in print or hearing it on TV. So when is the right age to be around swearing. according to my father. Never.

As a general stance I am wary of any book deemed inappropriate for children. In the extreme someone may decide math textbooks fill those children with notions they don't need. Or like banning Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn because they have language in them that is offensive today. I read both of these as an elementary student. Not because my school had us read them. Because I was home sick often and reading was something I could do while in bed with a fever. No class taught these, but they were in the school library. Many books never taught to students were in there to be read. I also know schools do not have identical reading policies. In Jr High NJ we read Silas Mariner. When I transferred to Florida for a bit we read Animal Farm. (Honestly I thought the teacher going over Animal Farm did a better job.)

So in an age of smartphones and cheap televisions. Why ban any book? How many of the kids go to the library to read? Are these board members trying for the Streisand effect? Or are they that stupid?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Banning Maus is pretty indefensible, IMHO.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Nealithi wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:41 pmOr are they that stupid?
Take a guess.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Nealithi wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:41 pm
So in an age of smartphones and cheap televisions. Why ban any book? How many of the kids go to the library to read? Are these board members trying for the Streisand effect? Or are they that stupid?
I think it's a way to appeal to their Nazi voter base. It's a way of showing they support them and they don't care about how bad it looks to the other side anymore.
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

One of the sillier objections is that the bad behavior by the Nazi sympathetic characters in the story teaches the students that making threats towards other people is acceptable. This does not seem to indicate that the objections are based on Nazis are not bad.

Some of the other objections are less silly, like an image of the results of the author's mother's suicide attempt may be reasonably judged age inappropriate for a required reading assignment.

What is odd is that the people defending the book seem to think that graphic novel, no matter what the quality, is so central to teaching 8th graders about the Holocaust that they have to drop the entire subject if not allowed to use it.

There have been issues with YouTube demonetizing historical content covering WWII and the atrocities associated with it, like Timeghost's World War II in Real Time series, especially the War on Humanity episodes, because actual footage of terrible events were deemed too explicit, and you cannot say YouTube is run by conservatives.
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:21 pm
I think it's a way to appeal to their Nazi voter base. It's a way of showing they support them and they don't care about how bad it looks to the other side anymore.
If one wants to be unfair, it is not as if the Progressive Left have lately been against the results of the Holocaust. Or against demonizing people and using the law against people based on their race and ethnicity.
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Mickey_Rat15 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:58 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:21 pm
If one wants to be unfair, it is not as if the Progressive Left have lately been against the results of the Holocaust. Or against demonizing people and using the law against people based on their race and ethnicity.
Who do you define as the Progressive Left and what have they been in favor of on the results of the holocaust?