Nancy Pelosi suspected assassination attempt; husband held prisoner and assaulted with hammer at home

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
CmdrKing
Captain

Re: Nancy Pelosi suspected assassination attempt; husband held prisoner and assaulted with hammer at home

Post by CmdrKing »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:35 am I should point out that I live in Kentucky.

I think the part that pisses me off most is the closing ranks element of all this. 90% of the people I know are Republicans and I don't think they're criminals or against democracy. I do think the LEADERSHIP of the Republican party is criminal and Trump in particular. Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul have tried to run this country into the ground, my state they've succeeded in, and I could list all day their repulsive policies.

I can hate THESE people without hating the other side and yes I am bewildered why the GOP as a whole keep rallying behind these people.
My experience is overall the opposite honestly. Individual, voting-base level republicans generally do believe their representatives do good work and support most of the “causes” they fight for (if not always the way they do so).

They are genuinely all aboard, to pull an example relevant to me, for the genocide of trans people. They just wish for it to be conducted in a way that allows them plausible deniability of the outcome by dressing up the means in respectable cloth.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: Nancy Pelosi suspected assassination attempt; husband held prisoner and assaulted with hammer at home

Post by hammerofglass »

CmdrKing wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:26 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:35 am I should point out that I live in Kentucky.

I think the part that pisses me off most is the closing ranks element of all this. 90% of the people I know are Republicans and I don't think they're criminals or against democracy. I do think the LEADERSHIP of the Republican party is criminal and Trump in particular. Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul have tried to run this country into the ground, my state they've succeeded in, and I could list all day their repulsive policies.

I can hate THESE people without hating the other side and yes I am bewildered why the GOP as a whole keep rallying behind these people.
My experience is overall the opposite honestly. Individual, voting-base level republicans generally do believe their representatives do good work and support most of the “causes” they fight for (if not always the way they do so).

They are genuinely all aboard, to pull an example relevant to me, for the genocide of trans people. They just wish for it to be conducted in a way that allows them plausible deniability of the outcome by dressing up the means in respectable cloth.
I know Republicans who are all for the genocide of trans people and Republicans (including some of my best friends who are the most accepting people I know) who flat-out refuse to believe their party calling for it is happening no matter how blatant. I don't know any who think it's good and don't acknowledge it or that think it's bad and do.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

hammerofglass wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:06 pm

I know Republicans who are all for the genocide of trans people and Republicans (including some of my best friends who are the most accepting people I know) who flat-out refuse to believe their party calling for it is happening no matter how blatant. I don't know any who think it's good and don't acknowledge it or that think it's bad and do.
And here we have a couple of entries from the tin-foil hat brigade.
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Mickey_Rat15 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:34 pm And here we have a couple of entries from the tin-foil hat brigade.
Please explain what is conspiratorial about that.
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

Draco Dracul wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:49 pm
Mickey_Rat15 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:34 pm And here we have a couple of entries from the tin-foil hat brigade.
Everything.
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

The famed conspiracy of "going outside and talking to people".
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Mickey_Rat15 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:20 pm
Everything.
So Florida isn't forcibly detransitioning people and texas isn't trying to take trans kids from thier homes? Lile the only the latter sputtered out is most of the states social workers quite in protest.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Yes, I suppose it would be extra horrifying to find out the problem in America is the people.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Mickey_Rat15 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:20 pm
Everything.
Quod erat demonstrandum.

Like, let’s be clear. My claim here is that the current actions of the Florida Medical Board, barring injunction, already rise to meet the definition of genocide as laid out by the UN ( https://www.un.org/en/genocideprevention/genocide.shtml )

Further I would suggest that engaging in this lower level form of genocide frequently leads subsequently to meet the layperson’s definition of the word.
However conservatives, from Mitch McConnell down to mickey_rat15, are deeply invested in denying these things, either for their own peace of mind or as a calculated tactic to diminish opposition against them.

(This is also why it’s important not to pin this just on the leaders OR to hand wave it away something wrong with ‘the people’. It’s disproportionately the domain of conservatism as an ideology and we need to grapple with that reality and it’s potential causes.)
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

The best evidence that trans people don't have to worry about genocide is that some of them are openly claiming that they are targets of genocide.

People who are truly at risk in that way don't have the safety and sense of security to make those sorts of claims.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984