San Francisco to allow police 'killer robots'

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Re: San Francisco to allow police 'killer robots'

Post by Draco Dracul »

clearspira wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:45 pm
Draco Dracul wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:43 am
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:59 pm Again, I just feel if they can do their job with out any risk to their lives, why not? Are cops still supposed to risk their lives when they have another option?
I mean my preference would be for most of them to be fired, most of thier funding be redirected to social service as to actually prevent crime, and the jobs of investigation, providing citations, and responding to mental health crises be made into separate roles not directly tied to being an armed violence doer.
With the amount of guns your country has on the streets, it will never work. You are not Norway. You are a country where every school shooting or gay club massacre is met with "oh, is it Tuesday again?"
I'm not sure how that's relevant to the viability of this proposal as A) guns are a tool used in crime rather than a source of crime in and of themselves and B) the typical police response to someone armed is to cower. Like we're not even months removed from dozens of police, including SWAT, standing around and doing nothing as dozens of children were murdered. In Club Q the only thing the police did was save the murderous scumbag as he was subdued by patrons of the club.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Frustration wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:19 pm
Draco Dracul wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:43 am I mean my preference would be for most of them to be fired, most of thier funding be redirected to social service as to actually prevent crime, and the jobs of investigation, providing citations, and responding to mental health crises be made into separate roles not directly tied to being an armed violence doer.
And then all the problems that motivated them to develop so dangerously in the first place go unchecked.
The problem that lead police to develop in the first place was that poor people wanted too many rights. Modern police strategies were developed from techniques used by slave catchers, colonial troops, and mercenaries like the Pinkertons.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

And our knowledge of how to treat wounds came from battlefields, corpse dissections (which were once considered morally abhorrent), and Devil's bargains with organizations like Unit 731.

Your point is?
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

It was your point.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Frustration wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:53 pm And our knowledge of how to treat wounds came from battlefields, corpse dissections (which were once considered morally abhorrent), and Devil's bargains with organizations like Unit 731.

Your point is?
I mean the key difference is that medical procedures save peoples lives, cops brutalize the poor. Police do not prevent crime nor do they protect people as neither is their job. There job is to protect the property of the rich and the main innovations were finding a way of doing that without making the armed violence class part of the upper society nor needing the rich to shell out the money themselves.

The comparison is bad because not only are the benefits of the police existing at all incredibly dubious but your choice of comparisons are pretty terrible as there was nothing of any scientific merit from Unit 731, their exoneration was such a miscarriage of justice that even they were surprised that they were allowed to live.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Looks like SF reversed the decision already.

https://apnews.com/article/police-san-f ... de672a7fd1
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

Draco Dracul wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:57 am
Frustration wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:53 pm And our knowledge of how to treat wounds came from battlefields, corpse dissections (which were once considered morally abhorrent), and Devil's bargains with organizations like Unit 731.

Your point is?
I mean the key difference is that medical procedures save peoples lives, cops brutalize the poor. Police do not prevent crime nor do they protect people as neither is their job. There job is to protect the property of the rich and the main innovations were finding a way of doing that without making the armed violence class part of the upper society nor needing the rich to shell out the money themselves.

The comparison is bad because not only are the benefits of the police existing at all incredibly dubious but your choice of comparisons are pretty terrible as there was nothing of any scientific merit from Unit 731, their exoneration was such a miscarriage of justice that even they were surprised that they were allowed to live.
It always confuses me when people say things like this, when I owe my life to police officers. It offends me, actually.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Draco Dracul wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:43 pm
clearspira wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:45 pm
Draco Dracul wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:43 am
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:59 pm Again, I just feel if they can do their job with out any risk to their lives, why not? Are cops still supposed to risk their lives when they have another option?
I mean my preference would be for most of them to be fired, most of thier funding be redirected to social service as to actually prevent crime, and the jobs of investigation, providing citations, and responding to mental health crises be made into separate roles not directly tied to being an armed violence doer.
With the amount of guns your country has on the streets, it will never work. You are not Norway. You are a country where every school shooting or gay club massacre is met with "oh, is it Tuesday again?"
I'm not sure how that's relevant to the viability of this proposal as A) guns are a tool used in crime rather than a source of crime in and of themselves and B) the typical police response to someone armed is to cower. Like we're not even months removed from dozens of police, including SWAT, standing around and doing nothing as dozens of children were murdered. In Club Q the only thing the police did was save the murderous scumbag as he was subdued by patrons of the club.
The problem is, you do not live in the real world. The USA is an insanely violent place. Perhaps this is one of those things where you need to actually leave the USA and travel to see by just how much. The fact that you have annual massacres should be proof of this.

If you disarm the police in America then you will have anarchy. The street gangs will rule Mad Max style. It is already too late for you. The best you can manage is a sticking plaster.

Please tell me that you are not proposing the idea that the Bloods and the Crips will hand in their Uzi's and never bother a soul again. I am seriously wondering what sugar-coated gated community you must live in at this point.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

clearspira wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:14 pm The problem is, you do not live in the real world. The USA is an insanely violent place. Perhaps this is one of those things where you need to actually leave the USA and travel to see by just how much. The fact that you have annual massacres should be proof of this.
Violence doesn't come from nowhere, it is not some unique characteristic of people in the US, it's emergent from the conditions of poverty, and de facto segregation that plagues the country. I want to actually address the root problems instead of just meeting people with violence, enslaving them, and then restricting both their ability to vote and their ability to work.

Police have shown themselves to be incredibly bad at stopping and preventing such massacres. Putting police in schools has done nothing to deter mass shooters, but it has massively increased the number of minority students going to jail.
If you disarm the police in America then you will have anarchy. The street gangs will rule Mad Max style. It is already too late for you. The best you can manage is a sticking plaster.
My guy the police in NYC tried to prove how valuable they were by doing a massive work slow down only to have to stop because crime was going down. Violent crime is significantly less than it was 40 years ago, and it continued to drop even as the number of police fell in the late 00s-early 10s.
Please tell me that you are not proposing the idea that the Bloods and the Crips will hand in their Uzi's and never bother a soul again. I am seriously wondering what sugar-coated gated community you must live in at this point.
I mean the goal is defeat the gangs by ending the poverty and discrimination from which they historically draw their membership. And if they are still a problem or become more violent in the absence of police, guns are easy to get in the US you can create community self defense and I trust the average person a lot more than I do a cop because the average person is less likely to be a domestic abuser.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

Draco Dracul wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:46 pm
clearspira wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:14 pm The problem is, you do not live in the real world. The USA is an insanely violent place. Perhaps this is one of those things where you need to actually leave the USA and travel to see by just how much. The fact that you have annual massacres should be proof of this.
Violence doesn't come from nowhere, it is not some unique characteristic of people in the US, it's emergent from the conditions of poverty, and de facto segregation that plagues the country. I want to actually address the root problems instead of just meeting people with violence, enslaving them, and then restricting both their ability to vote and their ability to work.

Police have shown themselves to be incredibly bad at stopping and preventing such massacres. Putting police in schools has done nothing to deter mass shooters, but it has massively increased the number of minority students going to jail.
My guy the police in NYC tried to prove how valuable they were by doing a massive work slow down only to have to stop because crime was going down. Violent crime is significantly less than it was 40 years ago, and it continued to drop even as the number of police fell in the late 00s-early 10s.
I mean the goal is defeat the gangs by ending the poverty and discrimination from which they historically draw their membership. And if they are still a problem or become more violent in the absence of police, guns are easy to get in the US you can create community self defense and I trust the average person a lot more than I do a cop because the average person is less likely to be a domestic abuser.
Even the richest and most privileged people in the world commit crime, even violent crime. Ending poverty and the like, won't end all crime forever and ever.

I understand that racism and poverty cause most crime but at the same time, I hate leftists removing all agency from criminals and blaming it all on society. This is another reason that I like the ending of The Bad Guys. They were victims of societal prejudice but still ultimately were responsible for their own actions and willingly went to prison.

And about police being domestic abusers, wile 40% is a worrying percentage, at the same time, you do realize that is the minority, right?

And ever since the George Floyd protests, more and more cops quit and less aspiring cops don't join because everyone hates them. The police need reform but how can they do that if no one is willing to give them a chance to?