San Francisco to allow police 'killer robots'

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Re: San Francisco to allow police 'killer robots'

Post by Draco Dracul »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:48 am Even the richest and most privileged people in the world commit crime, even violent crime. Ending poverty and the like, won't end all crime forever and ever.
But it will end a hell of a lot more crime than giving murder robots to the police.
And about police being domestic abusers, wile 40% is a worrying percentage, at the same time, you do realize that is the minority, right?
You that's more than double the rate of the general population, right?
And ever since the George Floyd protests, more and more cops quit and less aspiring cops don't join because everyone hates them. The police need reform but how can they do that if no one is willing to give them a chance to?
Could you give an example of a police organization making its own proposal for internal reform? Because from my prospective police organizations have been resisting even modest attempts at reform.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

Draco Dracul wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:00 am
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:48 am Even the richest and most privileged people in the world commit crime, even violent crime. Ending poverty and the like, won't end all crime forever and ever.
But it will end a hell of a lot more crime than giving murder robots to the police.
And about police being domestic abusers, wile 40% is a worrying percentage, at the same time, you do realize that is the minority, right?
You that's more than double the rate of the general population, right?
And ever since the George Floyd protests, more and more cops quit and less aspiring cops don't join because everyone hates them. The police need reform but how can they do that if no one is willing to give them a chance to?
Could you give an example of a police organization making its own proposal for internal reform? Because from my prospective police organizations have been resisting even modest attempts at reform.
There are reforms happening, I forget what exactly it was but there is the LAPD removing that one policy that was misused to target minorities and seems to be working.

Leftists say they'd cut cops slack if they improve but how am I supposed to believe most of them when they seem to hate every thing, every single cop does, regardless if it's good or bad?

And even if policing is reformed from the outside, why should anyone want to join, when, everyone would still hate them for no reason?

I was abused for being autistic and that gave me an "all sins are equal" mindset when it comes to prejudice, "mere" interpersonal prejudice, included. Any win for activists is a victory, of course but I won't be satisfied till even the most innocuous prejudice is eliminated from the human condition, forever.

I also noticed you skipped my point about leftists removing agency from criminals, which is just as insulting as the way right wingers treat them.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:28 am
There are reforms happening, I forget what exactly it was but there is the LAPD removing that one policy that was misused to target minorities and seems to be working.

Leftists say they'd cut cops slack if they improve but how am I supposed to believe most of them when they seem to hate every thing, every single cop does, regardless if it's good or bad?

And even if policing is reformed from the outside, why should anyone want to join, when, everyone would still hate them for no reason?
I have to say it's not really a good sign for reform as something actually happening if you're "example" is something you can't remember. Like I can't even check if it has an impact or is being followed because you can't even state what it is.

You're wanting slack for cops while providing absolutely zero evidence that any reform has occurred.
I was abused for being autistic and that gave me an "all sins are equal" mindset when it comes to prejudice, "mere" interpersonal prejudice, included. Any win for activists is a victory, of course but I won't be satisfied till even the most innocuous prejudice is eliminated from the human condition, forever.
So to you judging someone for being black and judging someone for being a nazi are the same thing?
I also noticed you skipped my point about leftists removing agency from criminals, which is just as insulting as the way right wingers treat them.
I really don't see how empathy is a bad as hatred in this case. It's an acknowledgment that if I were in the same place I might do the same thing.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

pilight wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:06 am
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:22 am And if these robots can stop crime wile eliminating the risk of the officers controlling them, why would you not want them used? Unless you just want dead cops.
Because of the high probability of them being used on people who aren't criminals plus the likelihood of collateral damage.
Cops aren't even supposed to blow up criminals either. There's a reason executioner is a separate job.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:28 amThere are reforms happening, I forget what exactly it was but there is the LAPD removing that one policy that was misused to target minorities and seems to be working.

Proving once again, that your apology and promise to not engage this anymore was worthless drivel. Great job, DBF. (o.-)b
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Draco Dracul wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:27 am
So to you judging someone for being black and judging someone for being a nazi are the same thing?
Huh?

He's talking about zero tolerance and trying to cite judgmental behavior on "both sides".
Power laces... alright.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:19 pm
Huh?

He's talking about zero tolerance and trying to cite judgmental behavior on "both sides".
Thank you.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:28 am

I have to say it's not really a good sign for reform as something actually happening if you're "example" is something you can't remember. Like I can't even check if it has an impact or is being followed because you can't even state what it is.

You're wanting slack for cops while providing absolutely zero evidence that any reform has occurred.
I really don't see how empathy is a bad as hatred in this case. It's an acknowledgment that if I were in the same place I might do the same thing.
Judging someone for being a Nazi is an exception that should go without saying.

And I reminded myself, the LAPD ended "pretextual stops".

And I do have empathy for criminals forced into what they do by society but they still have responsibility for their actions.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Leftists aren’t supposed to remove agency from individuals,, they’re supposed to recognize issues on a collective level or recognize how an individual is mistreated particularly/specifically.
Power laces... alright.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:09 pm Leftists aren’t supposed to remove agency from individuals,, they’re supposed to recognize issues on a collective level or recognize how an individual is mistreated particularly/specifically.
But it seems like they really do remove agency from individuals, most of the time. Again, I go back to my observation about the ending of The Bad Guys.