Trump Tax Passes Senate

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Re: Trump Tax Passes Senate

Post by Karha of Honor »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote:
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote:
Madner Kami wrote:A country that allows this, is a country that has given up on democracy and a society of equals.
We are not equals , we never were. We should be equals in front of the law. What makes you think people are equals? We do not have the same abilities.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal,
We know what they really meant and what it meant in practice. Equal in front of the law.
... so what in Madner Kami's post are you arguing with exactly? Because "society of equals" sounds like "equal under the law" to me.
I see equality used as a rhetorical tool used for other purposes. I just wanted to clarify.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

I've looked into this, and it turns out Equal is something Merisant Company makes.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Agent Vinod wrote:
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote:
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote:
Madner Kami wrote:A country that allows this, is a country that has given up on democracy and a society of equals.
We are not equals , we never were. We should be equals in front of the law. What makes you think people are equals? We do not have the same abilities.

We know what they really meant and what it meant in practice. Equal in front of the law.
... so what in Madner Kami's post are you arguing with exactly? Because "society of equals" sounds like "equal under the law" to me.
I see equality used as a rhetorical tool used for other purposes. I just wanted to clarify.

So you were preemptively countering Madner Kami with an argument against a point that poster has not yet made, just in case.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote:
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote:
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote:

So you were preemptively countering Madner Kami with an argument against a point that poster has not yet made, just in case.
I did not think of it in such terms.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Cosmic Karma. It exists.
Senate Republicans Made a $289 Billion Mistake in the Handwritten Tax Bill They Passed at 2 a.m. Go Figure.

It appears that Senate Republicans managed to make a $289 billion or so mistake while furiously hand-scribbling edits onto the tax bill they passed in the wee hours of Saturday morning. The problem involves the corporate alternative minimum tax, which the GOP initially planned to repeal, but tossed back into their stew at the last second in order to raise some desperately needed revenue. The AMT is basically a parallel tax code meant to prevent companies from zeroing out their IRS bills. It doesn’t allow businesses to take as many tax breaks but, in theory, is also supposed to have a lower rate.

Except not under the Senate bill. When Mitch McConnell & co. revived the AMT, they absentmindedly left it at its current rate of 20 percent, the same as the new, lower rate of the corporate income tax that the bill included. As a result, many companies won’t be able to use tax breaks that were supposed to be preserved in the legislation, including the extremely popular credit for research and development costs. Corporate accountants started freaking out about this over the weekend, but the situation reached high farce when a group of lawyers from Davis Polk pointed out that, by leaving the AMT intact, Republicans had essentially undermined their bill’s most important changes to the international tax code.

[...]
Source: https://slate.com/business/2017/12/sena ... -bill.html
Coal CEO: Senate tax plan 'wipes us out'

Coal CEO Robert Murray warns that if the Senate version of tax reform is enacted by President Trump he'll be destroying thousands of coal mining jobs in the process.

"We won't have enough cash flow to exist. It wipes us out," Murray told CNNMoney in an interview on Tuesday.

Murray, a fierce supporter of Trump's efforts to revive coal, condemned the Senate bill as a "mockery" that would inflict a devastating tax hike on beleaguered coal mining firms as well as other capital-intensive companies.

"This wipes out everything that President Trump has done for coal," said Murray, the CEO of Murray Energy, one of America's largest coal companies.

[...]
Source: http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/06/investi ... ray-trump/

While trying to fuck everyone except their supporters, Trump and his cronies are now fucking up their own supporters. They beat themselves in their own game.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

It gives me some brief pleasure, but I know it'll get ironed out and fixed during the big reconciliation of House and Senate. =/
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville