Hamas Attacks Israel

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Hamas Attacks Israel

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:45 am So, Israel's been attacking a hospital. https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/11/ ... sraels-war I've heard that all the journalists there are being arrested but I haven't found a source for that.
Didn't this already happen and it was Hamas?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:15 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:45 am So, Israel's been attacking a hospital. https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/11/ ... sraels-war I've heard that all the journalists there are being arrested but I haven't found a source for that.
No. That was the Hamas bottle rocket that destroyed a car park. This is an actual raid on somewhere that Hamas is using as a base. Because that is what these cowards do. They shield themselves using babies and the sick.

I have no problem with this because I have no problem in accepting who the good guys are in this conflict. Hint: its not the side that dislocated a woman's legs so that they could rape her to death easier.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

So you're okay with your daughter being shredded by shrapnel as long as there's a rapist in the building?
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

clearspira wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:27 pm
No. That was the Hamas bottle rocket that destroyed a car park. This is an actual raid on somewhere that Hamas is using as a base. Because that is what these cowards do. They shield themselves using babies and the sick.

I have no problem with this because I have no problem in accepting who the good guys are in this conflict. Hint: its not the side that dislocated a woman's legs so that they could rape her to death easier.
I don’t think people are comparing Israel to Hamas, as simple as that makes the situation.
Last edited by BridgeConsoleMasher on Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Power laces... alright.
MightyDavidson
Officer

Post by MightyDavidson »

There really aren't any good guys in this situation clearspira. Hamas is evil so is Netanyahu. What Hamas did was terrible, no doubt but you can't drop bombs on innocent civilians and call yourself the good guy.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Not every conflict has "good guys".
Good guys don't dump white phosphorus on civilians.
You talk as if as long as Hamas commits atrocities, any atrocities Israel commits are morally justified.

Seriously, every time Israel does something evil, you point out an evil thing Hamas has done. You don't actually have anything to say in defense of Israel's actions, because they are morally defensible. But you've decided this is a simple good guys vs bad guys conflict, so you will cheer for killing anyone in Palestine and call it righteous.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

hammerofglass wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:50 pm So you're okay with your daughter being shredded by shrapnel as long as there's a rapist in the building?
Oh my sweet summer child... if it was only rape I might agree with you. But its not. We are talking here about gang raping women to death, slicing off their breasts and parading their naked corpses through the streets. You talk of daughters being killed by shrapnel? That is MERCIFUL in comparison.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:33 pm

Not every conflict has "good guys".
Good guys don't dump white phosphorus on civilians.
You talk as if as long as Hamas commits atrocities, any atrocities Israel commits are morally justified.

Seriously, every time Israel does something evil, you point out an evil thing Hamas has done. You don't actually have anything to say in defense of Israel's actions, because they are morally defensible. But you've decided this is a simple good guys vs bad guys conflict, so you will cheer for killing anyone in Palestine and call it righteous.
OK. So what's the alternative here guys? You all seem to be so against killing the buggers. So I guess we...?

Leave them alive to continue raping people to death?

Negotiate with people who happily kidnap babies and chop off their heads?

Write them a mean letter?

I am unable and unwilling to agree that there are not good guys and bad guys in this war. Nothing that Israel has done compares to this. Nothing.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

clearspira wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:05 amI am unable and unwilling to agree that there are not good guys and bad guys in this war. Nothing that Israel has done compares to this. Nothing.
Sweet summer child you are indeed. Have you followed how many Palestinians have been killed by Israel since... Let's say 2005? I can guarantee you, that Hamas has to do a few more of those attacks until things are even. Attrocities commited by Israeli settlers and the IDF aren't as rare as one would presume given the lack of media-coverage either. And as long as Israel covers wonderfully colourful people like these...
For decades, Daniella Weiss has been one of the leaders of Israel’s settlement movement. Weiss became involved in settlement politics in the wake of the 1967 war. In the early seventies, her family moved to the settlements in the West Bank and she later served for a decade as mayor of Kedumim, a community in the north. She has also been arrested numerous times, including for assaulting a police officer and interfering with an investigation into the destruction of Palestinian property. More recently, she has been affiliated with the Nachala settlement organization, which helps younger settlers establish illegal outposts in the West Bank, an initiative that’s controversial even among the settler community. (Weiss is a neighbor and an ally of Bezalel Smotrich, the extremist minister of finance, who has said that the Palestinian people do not exist and that Palestinian communities need to be erased; he also lives in Kedumim.)

Weiss and I recently spoke by phone. Since the Hamas massacre of October 7th, Benjamin Netanyahu’s government—in addition to invading Gaza—has, with its allies in the settler movement, become increasingly aggressive in the West Bank. Sixteen Palestinian communities have been removed from their land, and a hundred and seventy-five Palestinians have been killed.

[...]

How would you describe the settler movement?

I see the settler movement today as a direct continuation of the settler movement of a hundred and twenty, thirty, forty years ago. I see it as a chapter in the history of Zionism, and we are in one of those chapters of modern Zionism. Settlement is the way to return to Zion.

You said, “Settlement is the way to return to Zion”?

Yes. It’s the end of the dispersion and the beginning of the revival of the Jewish nation in this homeland.

What are the borders of that Jewish nation?

The borders of the homeland of the Jews are the Euphrates in the east and the Nile in the southwest. [This would include the territory of multiple Middle Eastern countries as well as the territory that Israel controls today.]

There’s a Palestinian slogan that has become very controversial: “From the river to the sea,” which means from the Jordan River to the Mediterranean Sea. It’s controversial because it would include all the land that currently makes up Israel. But you’re saying from the river to the—

What is controversial?

Palestinians sometimes use the slogan “From the river to the sea.” But what you’re saying is that from the river to the Nile is the Jewish homeland, correct?

Of course. If someone decides to invent a new religion today, who will decide the rules? The first nation that got the word from God, the promise from God—the first nation is the one who has the right to it. The others that follow—Christianity and Islam, with their demands, with their perceptions—they’re imitating what existed already. So, why in Israel? They could be anywhere in the world. They came after us, in the double sense of the world.

[...]

I was trying to understand where Palestinians who live in the West Bank should go.

Why should they go? Why should they go?

They should stay where they are, you’re saying?

They should accept the fact that in the Land of Israel there is only one sovereign. This is the issue. So let’s not confuse things. We the Jews are the sovereigns in the state of Israel and in the Land of Israel. They have to accept it.

If they accept it, should they receive full voting rights and things like that?

In the state of Israel, they have the right to vote for the Knesset, because Ben-Gurion gave them this right. He trusted them—and, even if he didn’t trust them, he didn’t have much of a choice. Three years after the Holocaust, he wanted to have a state for the Jews, and he knew the world would make problems with the issue of voting. But, in the seventy-five years since independence, the Arabs in the state of Israel and the Arab members of the Knesset showed in every possible way that their idea is to establish a Palestinian state. They are not working for the interests of the state of Israel. So I think the Arabs in Judea and Samaria have no right to ask for rights or take part in elections for the Knesset. They lost their right to vote for the Knesset. They will never get this right. They will have their own Palestinian Authority where they can run their civilian affairs in a logical way, but not as members of the Knesset. No, no, no.

[...]

When you say that the government’s been better, but it hasn’t realized your dreams, what are those dreams?

Two million Jews in Judea and Samaria. More settlements, more farms, bigger cities.

When you say that you want more Jews in the West Bank, is your idea that the Palestinians there and the Jews will live side by side as friends, or that—

If they accept our sovereignty, they can live here.

So they should accept the sovereign power, but that doesn’t necessarily mean having rights. It just means accepting the sovereign power.

Right. No, I’m saying specifically that they are not going to have the right to vote for the Knesset. No, no, no.

[...]
Well... If it walks like a Nutzi, looks like a Nutzi and speaks like a Nutzi, it might very well be one. Blood and Soil... There are no good sides in the Levant. A lot of innocent people, trapped between two sides who do not want peace, but mutul extermination. That is the Levant.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

clearspira wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:56 am
hammerofglass wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:50 pm So you're okay with your daughter being shredded by shrapnel as long as there's a rapist in the building?
Oh my sweet summer child... if it was only rape I might agree with you. But its not. We are talking here about gang raping women to death, slicing off their breasts and parading their naked corpses through the streets. You talk of daughters being killed by shrapnel? That is MERCIFUL in comparison.
And that makes it okay for the people you consider good guys to murder completely unrelated children, does it?
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.