"Researchers have developed a Very Big Disc™ that can store up to 200 terabytes of data..."

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: "Researchers have developed a Very Big Disc™ that can store up to 200 terabytes of data..."

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I do wonder how expensive these will be
McAvoy
Captain

Re: "Researchers have developed a Very Big Disc™ that can store up to 200 terabytes of data..."

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:15 pm
ProfessorDetective wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:40 am Physical media may be making a comeback.
I'm not sure the capacity restraints were really a driving force of the decline.
Nope. Just the physical part of the physical media that was a driving force.
I got nothing to say here.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

McAvoy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:39 pm
ProfessorDetective wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:40 am Physical media may be making a comeback.
I'm not sure the capacity restraints were really a driving force of the decline.
And high-speed internet proliferation.
..What mirror universe?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:01 am
Yep that includes people like me who likes to collect digital versions of everything. Whereas before I used to have a several binders filled with movies and TV shows. Even then it took up space with the cases. Whereas now it takes up zero physical space. High speed definitely helped too since even downloading a at the time a standard AVI file of a 45 minute episode of 350 MB would take awhile, but was still worth it. Even if I had to wait the next day to watch it.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

McAvoy wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:25 am
Yep that includes people like me who likes to collect digital versions of everything. Whereas before I used to have a several binders filled with movies and TV shows. Even then it took up space with the cases. Whereas now it takes up zero physical space. High speed definitely helped too since even downloading a at the time a standard AVI file of a 45 minute episode of 350 MB would take awhile, but was still worth it. Even if I had to wait the next day to watch it.
I think it’s more a matter of mobility and practical consumption. Anywhere your device is you can just type a url to play. Just the effort of getting the disc out of the jacket and needing to load it is superfluous.
..What mirror universe?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:30 am
McAvoy wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:25 am
I think it’s more a matter of mobility and practical consumption. Anywhere your device is you can just type a url to play. Just the effort of getting the disc out of the jacket and needing to load it is superfluous.
True. Especially with alot of mobile computers (as in tablets and laptops) not even coming with a disc player of any kind anymore. Though if you use the internet to watch movies, you still need internet and a half decent one at that.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:30 am I think it’s more a matter of mobility and practical consumption. Anywhere your device is you can just type a url to play. Just the effort of getting the disc out of the jacket and needing to load it is superfluous.
That amount of effort is also negligible, so it's a bit disturbing if that's seen as a significant enough advantage to matter. Mobility, yes, in some situations, and ability to get hold of in the first place, but not the effort.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Riedquat wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:42 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:30 am I think it’s more a matter of mobility and practical consumption. Anywhere your device is you can just type a url to play. Just the effort of getting the disc out of the jacket and needing to load it is superfluous.
That amount of effort is also negligible, so it's a bit disturbing if that's seen as a significant enough advantage to matter. Mobility, yes, in some situations, and ability to get hold of in the first place, but not the effort.
It's mainly just a matter of just how necessary it is to do something other than use the commonplace web browser or cellphone.
..What mirror universe?
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I think some people just like the idea of owning their media, because how many online only shows are going to be lost due to coropate greed, we shouldn't have to worry about lost media in this day and age but yet we do.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:52 am I think some people just like the idea of owning their media, because how many online only shows are going to be lost due to coropate greed, we shouldn't have to worry about lost media in this day and age but yet we do.
Not that those shows get physical releases either.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.