"Researchers have developed a Very Big Disc™ that can store up to 200 terabytes of data..."

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: "Researchers have developed a Very Big Disc™ that can store up to 200 terabytes of data..."

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Loki did, mandolorian did.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: "Researchers have developed a Very Big Disc™ that can store up to 200 terabytes of data..."

Post by hammerofglass »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:36 am Loki did, mandolorian did.
The Willow series never got one, just to keep it Disney+. I'm still pissed about that, it wasn't anything great but I liked it in a comfort show kind of way.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:13 pm
Riedquat wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:42 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:30 am I think it’s more a matter of mobility and practical consumption. Anywhere your device is you can just type a url to play. Just the effort of getting the disc out of the jacket and needing to load it is superfluous.
That amount of effort is also negligible, so it's a bit disturbing if that's seen as a significant enough advantage to matter. Mobility, yes, in some situations, and ability to get hold of in the first place, but not the effort.
It's mainly just a matter of just how necessary it is to do something other than use the commonplace web browser or cellphone.
Perhaps, but that's different from the "isn't it great!" type of argument we usually get for trivial conveniences.

Personally speaking I tend to find it rather absurd doing something in a more high tech way that worked perfectly well without it, and inevitably people try to dismiss that with equally absurd attempts to take it to extremes.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

hammerofglass wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:02 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:36 am Loki did, mandolorian did.
The Willow series never got one, just to keep it Disney+. I'm still pissed about that, it wasn't anything great but I liked it in a comfort show kind of way.
I was looking forward to seeing it some day just as a bit of nostalgia for the original film.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:52 am I think some people just like the idea of owning their media, because how many online only shows are going to be lost due to coropate greed, we shouldn't have to worry about lost media in this day and age but yet we do.
Yeah I know but we’re talking about what’s keeping which products or services in business. And some people doesn’t stack up to a whole bunch.
..What mirror universe?
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

You say that but some people read physical books, some people goes to plays and they are not going anywhere.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Just recently I saw a picture of the giant gap left when Best Buy starting to not carry physical releases of movies or music anymore. Best Buy used to have aisles of nothing but DVDs or VHSs and same goes with music.

Its not about actually owning the media anymore by the looks of it but the advantage of having the music, all music available without have a book case tucked away everywhere you go.
I got nothing to say here.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

For anything I'm likely to watch more than once I prefer to have my own copy than stream it. With music I'm usually listening to it off the HDD (streaming just for the odd bit), I'd prefer LPs if I had somewhere for a decent setup - there's something about the whole package there that feels special (CDs don't though).

I end up buying CDs occasionally because sometimes they're cheaper than a download, which makes little sense, and even less when the download's compressed in some lossy format.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I used to buy DVDs and Blu Rays. I was one of those who was buying the Trek DVD season collections when they were $99-$129 a season. I used to be there when they were released on Tuesday.

In fact part of my digital collection is me copying my own collection into the digital format.
I got nothing to say here.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

DVDs and Blu Rays are a digital format in the first place.

I've still got a large pile of DVDs and Blu Rays, I haven't found it worth the time to copy those. I think the difference with them and music is (beside the file sizes and time taken to rip) that whilst I'll frequently listen to the same music I'm not going to watch the same film or programme very often.