Wow They did it.

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Wow They did it.

Post by Madner Kami »

How are New York felon rules in regards to voting rights? I know some states void voting rights for felons, but dunno for sure how the rules in NY are. Would be kinda interesting, to have him be the first president who's not allowed to vote and yet still get voted into office.

Also good luck for pardoning himself. As J!! said, this is only for federal crimes, but entertain the thought. This is not explicitly forbidden and thus should be possible, beyond being a mere taboo. But breaking taboos and creating precedence had rather interesting effects whenever it happened. It was the Gracchii breaking taboos, which lead to Marius. Marius breaking taboos lead to Sulla. Sulla breaking taboos lead to Ceaser. And it didn't get better after that...
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Madner Kami wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 2:01 pm How are New York felon rules in regards to voting rights? I know some states void voting rights for felons, but dunno for sure how the rules in NY are. Would be kinda interesting, to have him be the first president who's not allowed to vote and yet still get voted into office.

Also good luck for pardoning himself. As J!! said, this is only for federal crimes, but entertain the thought. This is not explicitly forbidden and thus should be possible, beyond being a mere taboo. But breaking taboos and creating precedence had rather interesting effects whenever it happened. It was the Gracchii breaking taboos, which lead to Marius. Marius breaking taboos lead to Sulla. Sulla breaking taboos lead to Ceaser. And it didn't get better after that...
He can be elected but can't vote for himself. Not like that matters. Trump never won the popular vote anyway. So one less vote for himself.
I got nothing to say here.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

McAvoy wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 2:37 pmHe can be elected but can't vote for himself. Not like that matters. Trump never won the popular vote anyway. So one less vote for himself.
Yes, I am aware that it wouldn't really change anything. It's just that this has never happened before, at least to my knowledge and thus the situation is intriguing. One would hope, that this obvious oversight will get adressed rather sooner than later, because why should someone who is explicitly bared from voting, be allowed to become the president? In Germany, we call this "Den Bock zum Gärtner machen", literally "Making the ram the gardener". He's rather more likely to gobble everything up and leave what's left in an unrecoverable mess, than do anything even remotely useful.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

Madner Kami wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 2:01 pm How are New York felon rules in regards to voting rights? I know some states void voting rights for felons, but dunno for sure how the rules in NY are. Would be kinda interesting, to have him be the first president who's not allowed to vote and yet still get voted into office
Actually he wouldn't be. Zachary Taylor wasn't able to vote due to the residence restrictions in place at the time. He moved around quite a bit as a consequence of his military career and there were no exceptions in place for that sort of thing in the 1840s.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

NY resident here: voting is only restricted if and while a felon is actually incarcerated.

Florida law is different though, and I don't know which applies.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

My understanding is that for state level convictions, Florida defers to the rule of the state the conviction was from.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Now time will see if this was a blow for freedom or just someone swinging the sword.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

If nothing else it's changed the average felony conviction per president number.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

There is alot of angry MAGAs (obviously) that are stating that the Democrats let the gates open. As in Republicans going after Democrats legally. Which is, I am fine with it, hasn't that been done already at least with non-presidential candidates. But if a presumptive Democrat candidate has broken laws big or small, then by all means put him or her in court. No one should be above the law.
I got nothing to say here.