Fox News showcases poll in favor of Biden.

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Fox News showcases poll in favor of Biden.

Post by Thebestoftherest »

We really need an age limit for president, we need someone who isn't delusional running for president.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

There is no age limit on being a fool.

Biden's actually accomplished some things, but almost none of them get attention in the news. The insulin price caps are a huge deal, for example.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:23 pm There is no age limit on being a fool.

Biden's actually accomplished some things, but almost none of them get attention in the news. The insulin price caps are a huge deal, for example.
You can generalise with age and sometimes put limits on it because of that, but that's only because assessing individuals across a whole population is impractical. The results aren't good - there are always exceptions in either direction, but often that's all that's reasonable.

When it comes to a position like the president of the USA though it's not as if you've got an entire population to assess, so individual assessment is reasonable, and arbitary limits not.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Riedquat wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:12 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:23 pm There is no age limit on being a fool.

You can generalise with age and sometimes put limits on it because of that, but that's only because assessing individuals across a whole population is impractical. The results aren't good - there are always exceptions in either direction, but often that's all that's reasonable.

When it comes to a position like the president of the USA though it's not as if you've got an entire population to assess, so individual assessment is reasonable, and arbitary limits not.
Here is the thing, the chances of someone being not mentally or physically fit as they age gets high. Yes there are people who buck this trend. Yes there are physically and mentally fit people out there in their 80's.

But then factor in experience in being a politician and perhaps even connections to be a president, those chances get lower. It's not like we would suggest imposing the age limit to 60.

We have a case where two presidential candidates could very well die during their 2nd presidency, could very well sharply decline during that time. It's not secret Biden is struggling with dimentia and it's no secret Trump is experiencing a mental decline himself.

The only reason why both of them are on the ticket, is because of Trump. Biden might have not run a second term IMO if Trump decided he wasn't.
I got nothing to say here.
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:55 am

Here is the thing, the chances of someone being not mentally or physically fit as they age gets high. Yes there are people who buck this trend. Yes there are physically and mentally fit people out there in their 80's.

But then factor in experience in being a politician and perhaps even connections to be a president, those chances get lower. It's not like we would suggest imposing the age limit to 60.

We have a case where two presidential candidates could very well die during their 2nd presidency, could very well sharply decline during that time. It's not secret Biden is struggling with dimentia and it's no secret Trump is experiencing a mental decline himself.

The only reason why both of them are on the ticket, is because of Trump. Biden might have not run a second term IMO if Trump decided he wasn't.
It's literally what Biden has said, he ONLY did so to oppose Trump, and I'll take his word on that. You can tell by a lot he DESPISES the guy, and I can tell he does so personally. Should the democrats have picked another person? Sure. But frankly, given Biden is putting competent people in charge of things, that's way better than 'God King Trump'.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

I'll never forgive Biden for not just stepping down to let somebody else run against 45 for the second term, but honestly that ranks pretty low on the list of things I'll never forgive the fucker for.
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 3:19 pm I'll never forgive Biden for not just stepping down to let somebody else run against 45 for the second term, but honestly that ranks pretty low on the list of things I'll never forgive the fucker for.
Who you wanted would never get into office. Get over it. Really, do it. America is NOT ready for a real progressive. Obama and Biden are BARELY that and most of America treated them as the anti christ trying to destroy American society with 'Gays and communism and blacks'. You have to ACCEPT that we are not there yet. You can be VERY mad at that, I am also the same. But who the FUCK who would be the option to be that candidate? AOC is literally the working woman politician and she is HEAVILY DESPISED by MODERATES for being 'too progressive' and even other Democrat voters think she 'goes too far' when she is UBER MILD to me on stuff. This country NEEDS to take the right step and if we throw them in the pool, we will suffer ANOTHER civil war.

We fought one because Lincoln WON the election, and by our standards, Lincoln was a racist moderate. It was just he was SLIGHTLY more progressive and had the guts to stand by his words. GET. OVER. IT. It is a chain, where we have to get better slowly and bring everyone to a better country. Bash Biden on what he has done, no problem there, but DON'T pretend we would have won with anyone else more progressive. The HARSH reality is that we have to still deal with moderates to make this country better. We fuckin lost healthcare because we WEREN'T EVEN ABLE TO ACCEPT POOR PEOPLE SHOULD SURVIVE. We are NOT that country... and it hurts. But we can be. Trump won the first election and is still an option, because so much of America DESIRES that. We have to kill that by showing everyone that this progress is better. I know it's not easy to accept, and we shouldn't even be in this situation, it's a disgrace we are. But we are, and we have to live in that country. When I was born, gay marriage was not legal, but it was STARTING to be accepted by circles more than just the obvious. The sad reality is, progress is slow... but once it becomes stone, it is VERY accepted by everyone. That is reality. Things are getting better... it sucks how slow it is, but we are dealing with people who want to drag us to pure evil, and we have to fight with the allies who want to stop that, even if they are not nearly as good as we want them to be.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Nobody700 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 3:05 am
McAvoy wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:55 am

It's literally what Biden has said, he ONLY did so to oppose Trump, and I'll take his word on that. You can tell by a lot he DESPISES the guy, and I can tell he does so personally. Should the democrats have picked another person? Sure. But frankly, given Biden is putting competent people in charge of things, that's way better than 'God King Trump'.
I know. It's why that thought he would be a one term president and then steps down mindset came about before the 2020 election. For us, it would just be a reset. Democrats would find an heir to Obama and Biden and it will be that.

Definitely true. Biden is putting people who know what they are doing in charge and leaving them be. Unlike Trump who I don't know how many of his staff he fired or they quit during his term and turns out they were not that good according to Trump. Nevermind those previously in his administration who are opposed to Trump. All these people who are vocal about have Trump back in 2024 is a seriously bad idea.
I got nothing to say here.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Nobody700 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 3:52 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 3:19 pm I'll never forgive Biden for not just stepping down to let somebody else run against 45 for the second term, but honestly that ranks pretty low on the list of things I'll never forgive the fucker for.
Who you wanted would never get into office. Get over it. Really, do it. America is NOT ready for a real progressive. Obama and Biden are BARELY that and most of America treated them as the anti christ trying to destroy American society with 'Gays and communism and blacks'. You have to ACCEPT that we are not there yet. You can be VERY mad at that, I am also the same. But who the FUCK who would be the option to be that candidate? AOC is literally the working woman politician and she is HEAVILY DESPISED by MODERATES for being 'too progressive' and even other Democrat voters think she 'goes too far' when she is UBER MILD to me on stuff. This country NEEDS to take the right step and if we throw them in the pool, we will suffer ANOTHER civil war.

We fought one because Lincoln WON the election, and by our standards, Lincoln was a racist moderate. It was just he was SLIGHTLY more progressive and had the guts to stand by his words. GET. OVER. IT. It is a chain, where we have to get better slowly and bring everyone to a better country. Bash Biden on what he has done, no problem there, but DON'T pretend we would have won with anyone else more progressive. The HARSH reality is that we have to still deal with moderates to make this country better. We fuckin lost healthcare because we WEREN'T EVEN ABLE TO ACCEPT POOR PEOPLE SHOULD SURVIVE. We are NOT that country... and it hurts. But we can be. Trump won the first election and is still an option, because so much of America DESIRES that. We have to kill that by showing everyone that this progress is better. I know it's not easy to accept, and we shouldn't even be in this situation, it's a disgrace we are. But we are, and we have to live in that country. When I was born, gay marriage was not legal, but it was STARTING to be accepted by circles more than just the obvious. The sad reality is, progress is slow... but once it becomes stone, it is VERY accepted by everyone. That is reality. Things are getting better... it sucks how slow it is, but we are dealing with people who want to drag us to pure evil, and we have to fight with the allies who want to stop that, even if they are not nearly as good as we want them to be.
Agreed. We can not forsake "good enough" for "perfect". I'd love to just pull it all down and rebuild, too. But that ain't happening short of Civil War II and I do NOT like my chances of survival if that comes to pass.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Well then, I guess it's time to drink heavily and sob.