"Disney leadership reportedly blamed the same-sex kiss in ‘Lightyear’ for its failure at the box office."

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

"Disney leadership reportedly blamed the same-sex kiss in ‘Lightyear’ for its failure at the box office."

Post by ProfessorDetective »

"Notes were continuously provided to animators in order to make Riley appear “less gay” in ‘Inside Out 2.’"

Yeah, some big wigs are watching too much YouTube...

https://x.com/ToonHive/status/1835723630610645350/
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: "Disney leadership reportedly blamed the same-sex kiss in ‘Lightyear’ for its failure at the box office."

Post by hammerofglass »

Is there a source for this? Maybe an article or something? I've never even heard of Toon Hive.

Pixar employees have been complaining about this kind of thing for years so it wouldn't be surprising, but I also have no reason to trust a random X post.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: "Disney leadership reportedly blamed the same-sex kiss in ‘Lightyear’ for its failure at the box office."

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I think the problem with lightyear it was just too serious, and the characters didn't match what we know.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:35 pm I think the problem with lightyear it was just too serious, and the characters didn't match what we know.
Buzz Lightyear is a funny silly character that parodies Star Wars and Flash Gordon type stories.

The movie is about a guy trapped in a world for centuries.
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

Here's my BIGGEST problem with Lightyear.

This isn't a film made in the 90's, it's a 2020's film. They didn't even CONSIDER trying to make this a film that would make a little boy find it super exciting. Which is the WHOLE POINT of Toy Story. Lightyear should have been an utter love letter to the STUPIDEST stuff ever, and instead, tries and fails to be serious. We didn't get Buzz Lightyear battling Zerg on a shooting star as epic metal plays with a wacky animated dog firing one liners... we got Buzz needing a robot cat to be his therapist because no one in the future knows how to care for a mans PTSD.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Part of why I wish there was a longer article is I wonder if they meant "because the scene got the movie banned in several markets, which the company has no control over".
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.