Best Buy to stop selling physical CDs on July 1st

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Admiral X
Captain

Best Buy to stop selling physical CDs on July 1st

Post by Admiral X »

link
There's not much reason to shop for CDs when you download or stream all your music, and big-box stores are reacting to that decline. Billboard sources have learned that Best Buy has told suppliers that it will remove music CDs from its stores as of July 1st. The chain was only making $40 million per year from the plastic discs -- a drop in the bucket for a retailer this size. Vinyl aficionados will still find records on sale for the next 2 years, according to the insiders, although they may have to be sold next to the turntables themselves.
Have to admit that while I still buy CDs, I mainly get them from either Amazon or from a local place because they also have a lot of used ones at discounted price.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Best Buy to stop selling physical CDs on July 1st

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I feel bummed. =/ I prefer to own physical cds.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
raiken_
Redshirt

Re: Best Buy to stop selling physical CDs on July 1st

Post by raiken_ »

I really only buy cds. Granted, I've been so disconnected from music lately that I've only bought 4 albums released since 2010 (half of which were Weird Al, so ... take that for what you will).