The Straight Pride Parade

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Re: The Straight Pride Parade

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Draco Dracul wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:38 am
Darth Wedgius wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:28 pm Do regressives protest St. Patrick's Day parades because the Irish don't need a parade?
That's actually a very bad example because the Irish had to face decades of persecution to receive mainstream acceptance in America.
Fair point! What about the Doo Dah Parade?
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:41 am
Darth Wedgius wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:28 pm Do regressives protest St. Patrick's Day parades because the Irish don't need a parade?
That's actually a very bad example because the Irish had to face decades of persecution to receive mainstream acceptance in America.
That seems to just be a fun parade. I fail to see what's objectionable about that.

Also, I'm unsure about your use of regressive, as what do they want to regress to?
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Draco Dracul wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:46 am
That seems to just be a fun parade. I fail to see what's objectionable about that.

Also, I'm unsure about your use of regressive, as what do they want to regress to?
Yeah, that reminds me of when I first heard 'Make America Great Again' and I automatically wondered what their points of reference were for 'Great' and 'Again'.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Draco Dracul wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:46 am

That's the point. People aren't objecting to the Doo Dah Parade as unnecessary, but do object to the Straight Pride Parade on those grounds. This suggests to me that there is another component to the outrage, one the objectors either don't want to mention or assume is understood. I'm trying to find out what that is.

As far as what regression is to, IMO less free speech, less tolerance of other opinions, and less equal treatment of people without regard to race, gender, national origin, color, ethnicity, religion, disability, sexual orientation, etc., without privilege, discrimination or bias.

To be fair, "regressives" might be an exaggeration for this issue. I have heard few saying that the parade should be prevented, and I might be lumping people together that I shouldn't.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

They've appointed Milo Yiannopolous as the Grand Marshall. Milo is openly gay, and I think openly a troll.

Some consider Milo racist because he compared Leslie Jones to a gorilla, but I think he was just calling her fat and ugly.

This whole parade is probably a troll to expose some people consider double standards on the left (similar to the "it's OK to be white" flyers), or to provoke silly outrage (similar to the OK symbol being a "white power" gesture). Honestly, the best thing the people who feel outraged by the existence of this parade could do is to ignore it, or to join in and have fun, effectively somewhat co-opting it.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Nobody cares about the fact that it's a parade or the fact that the people are straight, as far as facts in it of themselves. "Outrage" isn't on the grounds that it's not necessary. It's about the fact that straight pride is a direct mocking of gay pride.
..What mirror universe?
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:18 am Nobody cares about the fact that it's a parade or the fact that the people are straight, as far as facts in it of themselves. "Outrage" isn't on the grounds that it's not necessary. It's about the fact that straight pride is a direct mocking of gay pride.
Pretty much. They're making their own parade to try to draw attention away from and devalue the other one. This is a troll move, simple as that.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:14 am Some consider Milo racist because he compared Leslie Jones to a gorilla, but I think he was just calling her fat and ugly.
Unless he's lived under a rock his entire life, there is no way he wouldn't know the racist implications of what he said.
Darth Wedgius wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:14 am This whole parade is probably a troll to expose some people consider double standards on the left (similar to the "it's OK to be white" flyers), or to provoke silly outrage (similar to the OK symbol being a "white power" gesture). Honestly, the best thing the people who feel outraged by the existence of this parade could do is to ignore it, or to join in and have fun, effectively somewhat co-opting it.
So what you're saying is that it's a move to try and further radicalize people by counting on the soundbite heavy media to not give the context they've created? Because both of those were deliberate attempts to funnel more people into white nationalism.
Rasp
Officer

Post by Rasp »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:27 pm How is the system actively working against LGBTQ? Because transsexuals can't join the military? because men who sleep with men can't donate blood? Because Indiana Jones is straight?

And let me list the things society has given me for being straight:

OK, done.
You understand how systemic bigotry works? It's that its exactly that. I might not be codified into law like jim crow but it very much exists. A person in power who hates what you are can and will make your life hell. When the choice is changing jobs every other week or enduring abusive superiors in a lot of cases then you start to see why we have a parade.

At least with the Irish you could argue they are a minority who at one time faced a fair amount of bigotry in many of the same ways and while it might be basically forgotten by now it still happened.

Nobody is "Proud to be straight" This is people who are "Proud to be not gay but we're totally not saying we hate the gays we're just going to yell how not gay we are totally not as an obvious troll move." There is zero reason to do this other than being passive aggressive jerks.

I see post from kids all the time because their parents are bigots and they are scared out of their minds about being kicked out or shunned. Far too often it ends with both of these things.
I am the one who requested Chuck review Kannazuki No Miko. (under an old alias)

I count it among the most despicable things I have ever done to another human being and I'm sorry.

Things I have requested that are not evil:
* Anna's Quest
* Contradiction
* TECHNOBABYLON
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Rasp wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:13 am
Darth Wedgius wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:27 pm How is the system actively working against LGBTQ? Because transsexuals can't join the military? because men who sleep with men can't donate blood? Because Indiana Jones is straight?

And let me list the things society has given me for being straight:

OK, done.
You understand how systemic bigotry works?
He ignores it completely.
..What mirror universe?