Japan needs babies.

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Japan needs babies.

Post by Madner Kami »

For the record:

The Ainu are not the indiginous people of Japan. They are descendants of a group called the "Jomon People" or "Jomon Culture", which in itself is increasingly becoming an umbrella term for at least 2, maybe 3 distinct major groups of people. The direct ancestors of the Ainu are one of those groups, the other are the ancestors of what would become the Emishi people.
It's debated that the Ryukyuan people (what would become the Okinawans) should be considered as a Jomon group as well, given they share more genetic material with both Emishi and Ainu, than they do with the Wajin/Yayoi/Yamato, the ancestors of today's dominant japanese population group.

The Wajin mainly immigrated from the Korean peninsula, not China and were themselves driven out of their lands in Southern Korea by, well, the people that would become the Koreans.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Rasp
Officer

Post by Rasp »

I have a problem with the assumption that just because someone is mixed race that somehow makes them separate from the culture they were raised in, which seems to be one of the big sticking points for Japanese racists. The idealized "pure japanese" that does not exist but conservative segments cling to it regardless.

Japanese rule of 7 did a fantastic piece on this.
http://japaneseruleof7.com/japanese-racism/
I am the one who requested Chuck review Kannazuki No Miko. (under an old alias)

I count it among the most despicable things I have ever done to another human being and I'm sorry.

Things I have requested that are not evil:
* Anna's Quest
* Contradiction
* TECHNOBABYLON
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Rasp wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:37 pm I have a problem with the assumption that just because someone is mixed race that somehow makes them separate from the culture they were raised in, which seems to be one of the big sticking points for Japanese racists. The idealized "pure japanese" that does not exist but conservative segments cling to it regardless.

Explains how a lot of the circa-1940s leadership found common ground with The Reich. Their definitions of 'pure' were different, but still... At least Japan, as far as I know, didn't partake in any kind of active 'cleansing'. As far as I know.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Rasp wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:37 pm I have a problem with the assumption that just because someone is mixed race that somehow makes them separate from the culture they were raised in, which seems to be one of the big sticking points for Japanese racists. The idealized "pure japanese" that does not exist but conservative segments cling to it regardless.

That is your Western viewpoint of what racism is yes. ''But what about the website I linked to?'' Ah, yes, a website where the ''about page'' clearly indicates that the owner of the site is not native to Japan and thus is looking at their culture using eyes and ideas that the natives wouldn't. This may be hard to accept, but they are not us.

And BTW, by our standards, MOST Japanese are conservative. The word ''segment'' implies that to be a minority viewpoint.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

I dunno, most forms of racism have some parallel system. For example, both Barack Obama and Kamala Harris are biracial (black/white and black/South Asian respectively). And indeed Kamala Harris seems to identify more with her Indian family and background. But both are referred to as black unless specifically having this sort of discussion about the nature of racial bias. And this more or less dates back to Jim Crow and the attempt to institute One Drop laws: they never fully materialized legally, but the way we talk about biracial or other mix-raced people was impacted, meaning that people of mixed race are almost always referred to by the most marginalized ethnicity they belong to.
AlucardNoir wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:50 am

I'm not American, I'm east European. I know the history of my country and my people and I know how we suffered under repeated migrations and invasion. How we were denied the right to govern ourselves up until the 19th century and how foreigners with different languages and cultures imposed their laws, rules and taxes on us for centuries on end. I know history, and I am neither blind nor stupid. Multiculturalism and the praised diversity for diversity's sake are failed experiments. And something I would not wish on anyone.
In what way are immigrants, going to great lengths and expense to move to your specific country among many options (because if you can afford to immigrate to a wealthy nation at all, you could go to any of them) analogous to imperialist invaders?

Someone making a life in your nation among many options will have specific reasons for choosing it, all of which will relate to some affinity for your culture. Doubly true for Japan, island nation in its own corner of the world.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

CmdrKing wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:01 pm

I dunno, most forms of racism have some parallel system. For example, both Barack Obama and Kamala Harris are biracial (black/white and black/South Asian respectively). And indeed Kamala Harris seems to identify more with her Indian family and background. But both are referred to as black unless specifically having this sort of discussion about the nature of racial bias. And this more or less dates back to Jim Crow and the attempt to institute One Drop laws: they never fully materialized legally, but the way we talk about biracial or other mix-raced people was impacted, meaning that people of mixed race are almost always referred to by the most marginalized ethnicity they belong to.
Seeing is believing a lot of the time. African American, Asian, and Latino communities in America aren't necessarily concerned with specific mixing because they identify more apparently by visual features. Not as much I think with Gay/Lesbian and Jewish people.

Still though, a lot of issues as far as any of the groups has faced has been of a more distinct majority. That movie Selena has a scene that talks about not being accepted by Latin or white Americans when mixed (so I guess it is beyond appearances on some levels). Bisexual erasure being another thing. Pretty certain there's issues regarding this or that Native American tribe's blood quantum measures.
..What mirror universe?
AlucardNoir
Officer

Post by AlucardNoir »

CmdrKing wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:01 pm
AlucardNoir wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:50 am I'm not American, I'm east European. I know the history of my country and my people and I know how we suffered under repeated migrations and invasion. How we were denied the right to govern ourselves up until the 19th century and how foreigners with different languages and cultures imposed their laws, rules and taxes on us for centuries on end. I know history, and I am neither blind nor stupid. Multiculturalism and the praised diversity for diversity's sake are failed experiments. And something I would not wish on anyone.
In what way are immigrants, going to great lengths and expense to move to your specific country among many options (because if you can afford to immigrate to a wealthy nation at all, you could go to any of them) analogous to imperialist invaders?

Someone making a life in your nation among many options will have specific reasons for choosing it, all of which will relate to some affinity for your culture. Doubly true for Japan, island nation in its own corner of the world.
See the response John Cleese's "London is no longer English" comment for proof on how mass migration effects a country. London is no longer English, and the main counter argument were that it's British, as if British and English were synonymous, and that it's racist to point it out. What you're describing is migrants assimilating to the local culture, what's happening is the local culture being replaced by migrants.

None of the Africans illegally crossing the Mediterranean see into Europe today are coming here because they like or have an appreciation for our cultures and languages, they're doing it because Europe is in a better financial position then their home countries are and they want to take part of those extra resources for themselves. The same way none of the South Americans coming to the US are doing so because they apreciate it's North American Anglo-Saxon culture. They're coming to the US because it's richer then all the other South and Central American countries they've gone through to reach the US and as such they have the highest change of getting something from it. Fuck mass migration. And I sincerely hope Japan doesn't go the EU route and sentence their own people to extinction.
If Chuck or a mod reads this feel free do delete my account. I would do it myself but I don't seem to be able to find a delete account option. phpBB should have such an option but I guess this isn't stock phpBB.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

You think that that "London is no longer English" comment is proof because it fits your own bias and that's what you want to hear. Let's be honest here. That's only reason why you believe that to be true.

You are also ignoring fact that not everyone who migrates does so because they want to but because they have to for one reason or other. You also seem to assume worst about them. But I guess you think that they should just suffer and die like animals because they aren't caucasians and don't have same culture. I see that colonial era attitudes are still strong.

By the way that Anglo-Saxon culture that was result of mixture of cultures and English language was formed by mixing language that Saxons spoke with what Normans who conquered England spoke and Latin with modern alphabet that we use having been created in Arab and is thus called Arabic alphabet.

Yeah, I have no reason to take you seriously anymore because you lack sense and you act based on emotion that is fear.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

AlucardNoir wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:35 am
North American Anglo-Saxon culture.
Wow really?
Huh, yup
Wow.

Yeah, sorry to tell ya bud, but you really need to stop listening to fascists about the way the world works. It's makin' ya say headass nonsesnse.
AlucardNoir
Officer

Post by AlucardNoir »

Mecha82 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:01 am You think that that "London is no longer English" comment is proof because it fits your own bias and that's what you want to hear. Let's be honest here. That's only reason why you believe that to be true.

You are also ignoring fact that not everyone who migrates does so because they want to but because they have to for one reason or other. You also seem to assume worst about them. But I guess you think that they should just suffer and die like animals because they aren't caucasians and don't have same culture. I see that colonial era attitudes are still strong.

By the way that Anglo-Saxon culture that was result of mixture of cultures and English language was formed by mixing language that Saxons spoke with what Normans who conquered England spoke and Latin with modern alphabet that we use having been created in Arab and is thus called Arabic alphabet.

Yeah, I have no reason to take you seriously anymore because you lack sense and you act based on emotion that is fear.
IF the only reply for "London is no longer English" is "London is as British as it's ever been" then we have a break in communication. And yes, the english have been historically "white", not that that term was actually used until rather recently. English was what was used, that's why there was so much discrimination in the anglo-saxon US against the Irish, because the Irish were not English, not anglo-saxon, not part of the group. "White" is a race, but here's the thing, outside of the US with it's melting pot wishful dreams, we also have ethnicities and historically those have been the source of much "intra-racial" fighting. Before it was fashionable to look down of the "poor savage", before having different gods was a fashionable excuse for war, fighting your neighbors that spoke a different language and which had different local customs and traditions was the norm. Actually, that kind of intra-racial fighting is what led to the World Wars and the dismantling of the colonial system in the first place. The white Germans and Italians feeling left out by the white English and the white French that had more or less carved the rest of the world for themselves.

Also, just so we're clear, you're accusing me of a colonial attitude when my very argument is one that is by it's very nature against colonialism - namely that every people deserves it's own patch of land to call home? One that is based on the fact that when you mix different cultures and ethnicities you historically end up with tears and bloodshed? As has been the case in eastern Europe where different ethnicities were forced together, as has been the case for the middle east, or Africa, or any other region on the globe where western Europe drew the map with multicultural, multilinguistic, multiethnic countries in mind. Yeah, I must be the greatest colonialist since Columbus.

I just love it when regressive like you just go full McIntosh. The anglo-saxons aren't the result of "the mixture of cultures", they're the result of the repeated brutal conquest of a region by foreign invaders - just like the rest of the world, and every single other culture on the planet right now. They're not the result of some nice and peaceful cohabitation that resulted in the mixture of languages and cultures. They're the result of war, rape and the forced adoption of the victor's cultural and linguistic norms by the vanquished.
If Chuck or a mod reads this feel free do delete my account. I would do it myself but I don't seem to be able to find a delete account option. phpBB should have such an option but I guess this isn't stock phpBB.