The Joker broke real reality

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Re: The Joker broke real reality

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

ProfessorDetective wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:31 pm
'Beware the Batman'...

That show deserved a fairer shake then it got.
My man.

As to the film itself, haven't seen it yet, but I've seen way more movies this year than I usually do, so I'll probably wait to rent it or watch it online eventually. Seems like an interesting film, getting critical acclaim from audiences and all.

Can we just stop and appreciate the fact that Joker was supposed to be a one-off villain who was supposed to die in the first issue of Batman, and then they realized how much potential the character had so tacked on an extra panel with a paramedic saying he survived a knife to the chest and falling off a building? Crazy.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:41 pm
Makeshift Python wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:00 pm I didn't know much of Gary Glitter when watching the movie, but I did think to myself after the movie how I hadn't heard the tune at any sporting event for a long time. Then I learned why.
Yeah pretty much.

Everybody knows the song since it's played in sports movies that came out leading to the turn of the century, but it was nonetheless vague for being a one hit wonder and having no lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEGq6rNDOlk
He was a pretty big name in Britain for a long time, topping the charts several times.

He wasn't near as big in American, but he was more than a one-hit wonder I think.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Jonathan101 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:08 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:41 pm
Makeshift Python wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:00 pm I didn't know much of Gary Glitter when watching the movie, but I did think to myself after the movie how I hadn't heard the tune at any sporting event for a long time. Then I learned why.
Yeah pretty much.

Everybody knows the song since it's played in sports movies that came out leading to the turn of the century, but it was nonetheless vague for being a one hit wonder and having no lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEGq6rNDOlk
He wasn't near as big in American, but he was more than a one-hit wonder I think.
I wouldn't doubt it. I mistook him for the era more of entering hair metal in the US, not unlike Cameo transitioning from disco to early prototype hip hop for a minute. Glam Rock dates back to the early 70's.
Power laces... alright.
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

Makeshift Python wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:10 pm I went to an advanced screening. No shootings or moral degradation took place. Overall, it was a pretty dull flick. Not worth any hype.
Surely a dull movie needs more hype than an exciting movie
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Highest grossing R-rated movie in history. Can't be that dull, can it?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

As dull as one could find the movie Taxi Driver. For a story about the Joker though there's much to be desired.
Power laces... alright.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

Saw it the other night. Powerful and engaging film with a fantastic character study that makes the Joker a truly tragic figure created by the world around him. The violence is suitably realistic and startling.

The most interesting thing is how much they leave up to audience interpretation, as once it's revealed that Arthur imagined certain interactions, it means that so much of the film is brought into question and left up to the audience's imagination; was Thomas Wayne really the Joker's father and simply cover it up? Since this Thomas Wayne is a bit of an asshole, it's not outside the realm of possibility that he forged adoption papers and had Penny Fleck put away. The Thomas Wayne we're used to probably would have politely and calmly tried to talk sense into Arthur, maybe even offer to help, but this guy just flat out hits a guy who believes him to be his father, and as a man who never knew his own father, I could sympathize.

Also, the movie has a reference to freaking Wolfen! It's the poster seen at the end when Bruce is standing over his dead parents.

Also, was I the only one amused by Penny Fleck being played by the lady who voiced Velma's mom in Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated? And that Joker's boss is the same guy who played Raphael in the 1990 TMNT movie? Crazy.
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

Jonathan101 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:18 pm The issue isn't simply enjoying it, it's that he's actually making money from it right now because the song was put in the film.

Seems Glitter won't be getting any royalties.
“Gary Glitter’s publishing interest in the copyright of his songs is owned by U.M.P.G. and other parties, therefore U.M.P.G. does not pay him any royalties or other considerations,” Universal told The Los Angeles Times in a statement.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/news/gary-glitter-wont-get-royalties-joker/
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/16/us/gary-glitter-joker-royalties.html
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

What a major blow for capitalism. smh
Power laces... alright.