Good News: Irish help out Native Americans to repay the kindness they were shown during the great famine

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Good News: Irish help out Native Americans to repay the kindness they were shown during the great famine

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

https://news.yahoo.com/irish-dig-deep-support-virus-201156553.html

So, after the trail of tears, when they were already devastated by the genocide attempts of the $20 bill guy, the Chocktaw nation dug deep into their pockets to personally deliver support money to the Irish people. Now, the Irish People are helping out Choctaw communities hardest hit by the pandemic with donations.
:)
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Captain Crimson
Captain

Re: Good News: Irish help out Native Americans to repay the kindness they were shown during the great famine

Post by Captain Crimson »

I don't get why we as a society have to focus on stuff that is at least several decades or centuries old? The civil war, WWII, and other things? I get researching it from a historical perspective, but if it's become a talking point in our social discourse, I see that as an issue. There's no growth that way.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Good News: Irish help out Native Americans to repay the kindness they were shown during the great famine

The past matters because it still has a very tangible effect on the present. The Civil War and WWII may have ended long ago but there are still people championing the ideology of the losing sides or crafting political policy based on that ideology, so we need to reckon with that when planning for the future. Reagan has been dead and moldering in his grave for years but his policies have still saddled my entire generation with unshakeable student debt.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

We should never let the past be forgotten, lest we never learn from it... but we CAN let it DIE, especially if it's out of living memory.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

I tend to think it matters because most people are VERY weak-willed, and so are prey to the instincts we still have yet to overcome from thousands of years ago. But as Captain Kirk has stated, we can choose not to act on them.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

In before focus on the past becomes a debate over the importance of canon in Star Wars...

But good on the Irish! Another way in which Blazing Saddles holds so true today.
JoeThree
Officer

Post by JoeThree »

Good on the NAs and Irish. Charity should begin at home.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

...how is international outreach a charity that begins at home? I'm really trying to see eye to eye on this one, but...what?
JoeThree
Officer

Post by JoeThree »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:59 am ...how is international outreach a charity that begins at home? I'm really trying to see eye to eye on this one, but...what?
The support, according to the article, was largely from donations, not government mandated taxation and redistribution. It's not a good deed if your money is taken from you at gun-point for charity, but it is if you decide "You know, these people have been good to us, might as well pay it back".
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Time is the predator of which we are all stalked.
..What mirror universe?