Mental Illness and White Liberals

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
SSJGodGoku
Officer

Re: Mental Illness and White Liberals

Post by SSJGodGoku »

That was part of the article, not something that I said. Even the article doesn't say what you're claiming it says, as it just says that Nietzsche was one of the forerunners of postmodernist philosophy.
SSJGodGoku
Officer

Post by SSJGodGoku »

Here, this is a perfect example of what I've been talking about:

https://reason.com/2016/10/14/watch-leftist-students-say-science-is-ra/
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

SSJGodGoku wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:45 pm That was part of the article, not something that I said. Even the article doesn't say what you're claiming it says, as it just says that Nietzsche was one of the forerunners of postmodernist philosophy.
SSJGodGoku wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:46 pm Here, this is a perfect example of what I've been talking about:

So what philosophy do you think that is? If it's post-modernist, then why would you call the Democrats "Communist"?

Followup Question: Do you think the Democratic Party of the United States of America is likely to be involved in things happening in the University of Cape Town, South Africa? Did you read that in that deranged blog and go, "yep, this makes sense"?

Do you even read any of these random things you google?
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
SSJGodGoku
Officer

Post by SSJGodGoku »

GreyICE wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:53 pm
SSJGodGoku wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:45 pm That was part of the article, not something that I said. Even the article doesn't say what you're claiming it says, as it just says that Nietzsche was one of the forerunners of postmodernist philosophy.
SSJGodGoku wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:46 pm Here, this is a perfect example of what I've been talking about:

So what philosophy do you think that is? If it's post-modernist, then why would you call the Democrats "Communist"?
The same reason that people call Republicans "Nazis". What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Followup Question: Do you think the Democratic Party of the United States of America is likely to be involved in things happening in the University of Cape Town, South Africa?
Many of their supporters subscribe to the same type of philosophy.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

SSJGodGoku wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:56 pm
GreyICE wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:53 pm

The same reason that people call Republicans "Nazis". What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Followup Question: Do you think the Democratic Party of the United States of America is likely to be involved in things happening in the University of Cape Town, South Africa?
Many of their supporters subscribe to the same type of philosophy.
Goku, you linked to a Marxist attack on post-modernism to talk about the damage Communists are doing to the sciences.

To put it bluntly, I don't think you have the slightest clue what "the same type of philosophy" is. I don't think you can even articulate what you're talking about, that's why you keep googling random links you haven't read - as evidenced by your complete conclusion when I started discussing the actual content of the links.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

SSJGodGoku
Officer

Post by SSJGodGoku »

By "the same type of philosophy" I mean not only postmodernism, but things like the abolition of capitalism which is the eventual aim of such groups.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

SSJGodGoku wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:37 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:57 pm Critical Theory takes observable disparities in society and maps it out in terms of social cause and effect. Which isn't that irrational of a thing; for instance, like reducing events down to objectively physical occurrences. You can do it, but it doesn't work well to distinguish subjective experiences. Given that everything we talk about in terms of issues are driven by social factors, you can lay out a socially deterministic sequencing. Whether that actually implicates or exonerates either the subject or their environment is kind of a separate matter that depends on your just reasoning.
The issue is when they try to make matters of fact (like scientific facts) subject to 'different worldviews' and 'different interpretations', like saying white colonialism and patriarchy molded the formation of modern science, so we need to tear it all down and start from the beginning.
Alright. Well in the interest of cohesion, I'll go ahead and posit that I don't think this is a totally bizarre or outlandish line of thinking. Though, I am still to contend in favor of BLM as an influence on society, and that's more in spite of Marxism and not for an outright endorsement of it.
..What mirror universe?
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

SSJGodGoku wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:18 pmBy "the same type of philosophy" I mean not only postmodernism, but things like the abolition of capitalism which is the eventual aim of such groups.
Okay, as long as you're saying that you're agreeing with the Marxists but are scared of communism, I think that tells me exactly how much thought has gone in to your personal philosophy. You do realize that one of the Marxist complaints about capitalism is that the truth can be bought and sold, and is relative to who has the most money, right?

Ayn Rand is philosophy for tiny children.

BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

GreyICE wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:21 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:57 pm Critical Theory takes observable disparities in society and maps it out in terms of social cause and effect. Which isn't that irrational of a thing; for instance, like reducing events down to objectively physical occurrences. You can do it, but it doesn't work well to distinguish subjective experiences. Given that everything we talk about in terms of issues are driven by social factors, you can lay out a socially deterministic sequencing. Whether that actually implicates or exonerates either the subject or their environment is kind of a separate matter that depends on your just reasoning.
Again, that seems the polar opposite of post-modernism, especially the post-modernism described in the paper. The paper was talking about how the post-modernists were relative and subjective, and incorporating things like personal experience.

It is the typical Marxist school of thought, which approaches philosophy (and everything) a bit like they're a brick layer building a brick wall, for good or for ill.
Just taking a stab here.

Modernism would be an appeal to a fair and impartial justice system as facts are presented. Postmodernism asserts that those facts aren't being interpreted by the court.

So Postmodernism wouldn't be at odds with empirical reasoning there, but it's a super speculation on the empirical system itself.

As far as what the paper is saying, I'm sure there's a center to all of it. I'd need to look at it again though and I've already posted this for now :D
..What mirror universe?
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:20 pmJust taking a stab here.

Modernism would be an appeal to a fair and impartial justice system as facts are presented. Postmodernism asserts that those facts aren't being interpreted by the court.

So Postmodernism wouldn't be at odds with empirical reasoning there, but it's a super speculation on the empirical system itself.
Marxism is a materialist philosophy. Like all materialist philosophies, it's big on rationality, single points of view, objective truth, etc. It's very big on reducing cultures to a summary of material living conditions, and envisioning everything as various forms of class struggle, to the point it'll dismiss ideology as a veneer used by capitalists to distract the proletariat.

The idea of something like Shamanism being taken seriously pisses them off, as you can see from reading the article Goku linked - Shamanism is a non-material way of viewing the world, and is therefore just one more tool that Landlords and Capitalists can use to distract the Proletariat from their living conditions.

The idea of assigning that stuff any weight drives them bananas nuts. It's all tools of oppression designed to distract the working class. All of it. Religion is the opiate of the masses, etc. etc.

Can you tell I find Marxists dreadfully dull? Every fucking time, it circles around to the same damn thing. It's like hearing a verbal record skip.