MAGA rioters storm the Senate

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Robovski
Captain

Re: MAGA rioters storm the Senate

Post by Robovski »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:37 am
Robovski wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:39 pm How dare they take their protest to the politicians and government buildings instead of burning down their own neighborhoods and small businesses. That's one big difference there, so yeah, not the same. Can't have those actually responsible for their anger being the target of the ire of the protestors, they should be just ruining their communities.
The man you worship and defend would sell you to an organ-harvesting plant for one diet coke and joke about it later.
EhFC0WUU4AYEZNJ.jpg
I am not resorting to the personal insults you deserve.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Robovski wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:22 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:37 am
Robovski wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:39 pm How dare they take their protest to the politicians and government buildings instead of burning down their own neighborhoods and small businesses. That's one big difference there, so yeah, not the same. Can't have those actually responsible for their anger being the target of the ire of the protestors, they should be just ruining their communities.
The man you worship and defend would sell you to an organ-harvesting plant for one diet coke and joke about it later.
EhFC0WUU4AYEZNJ.jpg
So do you approve or disapprove of the storming of the capitol building?
Robovski wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:22 pm I am not resorting to the personal insults you deserve.
Great. Have a gold medal🏅
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

Double Toasted's Korey Coleman has had enough of this BS.

youtu.be/f5o_cd-OIHA
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

Again, thought I was done but you guys are once again making me afraid for my family's lives.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Haha, wow. Welp, let's restate the thesis for the willfully ignorant.

Being racist makes you a sucker, and y'all have been taken for a ride by people exploiting it. It'd be awesome if we could make the world better, but the modern aristocracy are using people's racism to fight against it. Until you get over yourselves and see the real mechanisms keeping you down, you'll either be stuck where you're at, or the world will get better in spite of you.

What's great is, people trapped in this mindset always imagine folks coming for them, when in order to make the changes leftists (not liberals, leftists) want to make in the world, we have to let go of the idea of means testing and only helping the Right People to start with. So congrats bigots! If you stand down the worst that happens to you is your shitty bigotry causes you to act out and lose a job, and you'll be okay anyway because in order to help people who can't hold a job for real reasons, we have to help you too.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

I obviously disapprove of this as much as the riots over the summer, and I've already said I think the protests had more of a firm moral grounding. And I also want to say I'm entirely relieved this recent action wasn't more destructive than it could have been. Come on, you know that the same way I do. This could have been much worse.

But what concerns me the most is just the rotten system we have, where if you don't support Side A even if you can't in good conscience do so because there's a handful of views you do not share, then you're evil, you're a monster, you're a traitor. I've never seen it this polarized. They say it hasn't been this polarized since civil war days, and I believe it.

And of more pressing urgency to me is a few things. First up, I'm laughing so hard that Mr. Trump lost his Twitter. I can't feel sorry for him here. If anything, that may have been the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back, since he NEEDS that platform to proclaim loudly at people, so that he finally conceded, at least as far as I hear it. Yet if anyone out there has correcting info, please drop it on me. So make no mistake, he's gone in a few weeks, yet stop blaming him for all our horrible problems once he's out. At that point, it's just an excuse to stop addressing our longstanding social problems.

So yeah, it's hilarious to me Mr. Trump lost his Twitter. But when it comes to something like the cancelling of Senator Hawley's book, The Tyranny of Big Tech, I just feel sad. I think this is extremely dangerous, because it's infringing on First Amendment rights and while you lefties are doing so in claims of being in opposition to fascism, you're displaying very real fascist tendencies yourself, censorship, if not outright propaganda. And I think it sets a very dangerous precedent. All you need to do is call somebody a traitor, guilty of sedition, and boom, you get them shut down and cancelled. Personally, that strikes me as feeling all too similar to what Russia is doing now, banning books, or what China is doing. It honestly would not surprise me if we saw a resurgence of something like the House of Un-American Activities.

This isn't right-wingers doing this. These are people who are trying to shut down legitimate criticism. Senator Hawley is NOT rioting like we saw in the summer or a few days ago. Though I'm sure Silicon Valley was all too happy about this. If we can't have a country where your opinion is free to be expressed, and you're forced into silence, then that just shows why society is decayed and breaking down. Plus...

I find it hilarious that everyone is blasting Mr. Trump and his followers over this acting like they're a great threat to democracy, when they aren't! They're a threat to established order, difference. Because we were never a democracy. And we're not as free as we like to pretend. This also ain't sedition when it didn't involve the government or the military or private security or something like that. It's just a bunch of Duck Dynasty loons.

I agree with Madner Kami, what an absolutely beautiful s***show. Yet it doesn't have to be this way. Feh.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Captain Crimson wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:59 pm But when it comes to something like the cancelling of Senator Hawley's book, The Tyranny of Big Tech, I just feel sad. I think this is extremely dangerous, because it's infringing on First Amendment rights
It isn't. This is one business (Simon & Schuster) deciding they don't want to do business with a particular senator (Josh Hawley). You can agree or disagree with whether they ought to have (clearly they thought being linked with a senator who objected to the certification of the Arizona/Pennsylvania electors was a liability), but to claim that they violated anyone first amendment rights is spurious.
Captain Crimson wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:59 pm This also ain't sedition when it didn't involve the government or the military or private security or something like that. It's just a bunch of Duck Dynasty loons.
Let's look at the definition of sedition:
Merriam-Webster wrote:Definition of sedition
incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority
1) It does not follow that sedition is only the province of governmental actors. In fact, nearly all examples in the United States have been people who weren't in government.
2) This is the charge the Democrats are leveling at the various Republican politicians. They say that the politicians' actions caused the storming of the Capitol building. So you can't say that "it didn't involve the government" as if it was an established fact.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Asvarduil
Officer

Post by Asvarduil »

TGLS wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:31 pm
Captain Crimson wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:59 pm But when it comes to something like the cancelling of Senator Hawley's book, The Tyranny of Big Tech, I just feel sad. I think this is extremely dangerous, because it's infringing on First Amendment rights
It isn't. This is one business (Simon & Schuster) deciding they don't want to do business with a particular senator (Josh Hawley). You can agree or disagree with whether they ought to have (clearly they thought being linked with a senator who objected to the certification of the Arizona/Pennsylvania electors was a liability), but to claim that they violated anyone first amendment rights is spurious.
Captain Crimson wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:59 pm This also ain't sedition when it didn't involve the government or the military or private security or something like that. It's just a bunch of Duck Dynasty loons.
Let's look at the definition of sedition:
Merriam-Webster wrote:Definition of sedition
incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority
1) It does not follow that sedition is only the province of governmental actors. In fact, nearly all examples in the United States have been people who weren't in government.
2) This is the charge the Democrats are leveling at the various Republican politicians. They say that the politicians' actions caused the storming of the Capitol building. So you can't say that "it didn't involve the government" as if it was an established fact.
Going a step further: there's a world of difference between protestors who want police to stop killing black folks for any and/or no reason, and are willing to protest to do it, as opposed to a literal army of neck-bearded neo-nazis and neo-confederates trying to depose the lawful government of the United States.

In Captain Crimson's first sentence, the first thing he did was draw a false equivalence between these two VERY different movements that are nowhere near the same in ethics, morals, or illegality.

Worse, these same insurrectionists were protected - as usual - by their natural allies, the police. Police turn on their far-right allies only reluctantly. As we've seen for a while, they shoot everyone else rather easily.

To protect America, three things need to happen:
1) Everyone who broke into the White House needs to be charged.
2) America on the whole needs to rethink public safety. When those who swear an oath to serve and protect break it with gusto, we need a different way to protect people from threats, both foreign and domestic (hell, especially domestic.)
3) We need de-nazification, as well as de-confederation to happen. The American Civil War ended 150 years ago militarily, but it never ended culturally. Because fascism and neo-confederacy have many common beliefs, they tend to be - again - natural allies. The confederate subculture has to go the way of the dodo if America is to endure.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Robovski wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:22 pm EhFC0WUU4AYEZNJ.jpg
This is the regressive left in a nutshell.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Captain Crimson wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:29 pm And every day it seems just like you people want to abolish cops to make the revolution easier. Otherwise you wouldn't seem to show more contempt for cops than the fat cats in Washington. All you do is insist over and over they're tools for fascism, but what can they do? They don't make the laws, they don't pass them, and a lot of this right now is smokescreen tactics in order to push an agenda. You may have good ideals, but you sabotage them at all turns.
Considering both the shit show we saw at the Capitol as compared to what we've seen at BLM protests and the fact that 84% of cops are Trump supporters, reducing or abolishing the police wod make a right wing revolution harder not easier. Also, while the police don't make laws, the have an insane amount of leeway in enforcing.