Will there be a 51st US state?

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Re: Will there be a 51st US state?

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

I am VERY pro cutting up several states to make new ones. Texas for instance should be split up into at least 3 peices. California too. Florida needs to be chunked up, Ohio Split, New York and New Jersey split.

I don't think Idaho should be a state, really the whole North West needs to be shuffled a bit for a more coherent set up.

But then I also think the Senate is a stupid system that should have been replaced with a parliament after the Civil War, and radical reformation is needed on several levels of the government to prevent the baked in failure souffle from popping.

No one listens to me. Probably because I have actual degrees in this subject so all of my quixotic ideas come off as impossible.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

Antiboyscout wrote:The entire Yes California movement is based on the idea that the US at large does not represent the ideals and wishes of California and must become independent. How is New California any different other than being on a smaller scale?
The conversation shouldn't be about California at all. The conversation needs to be about American Samoa. Why doesn't America have a responsibility to implement representative democracy throughout the country?
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

I'd say Puerto Rico before American Samoa, but I'll take your point.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I saw the heading and thought that backlash against the culpably inadequate hurricane response was building national momentum for Puerto Rico to get it's long-sought-for statehood. =/ Boy was I disappointed.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

PerrySimm wrote: The conversation shouldn't be about California at all. The conversation needs to be about American Samoa. Why doesn't America have a responsibility to implement representative democracy throughout the country?
Because nobody gave it that responsibility? The federal government has a similar responsibility to actual states, what with "the United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government" being in the constitution and all.
Unless I misunderstood what you were saying.
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Post by SuccubusYuri »

Darth Wedgius wrote:
PerrySimm wrote: The conversation shouldn't be about California at all. The conversation needs to be about American Samoa. Why doesn't America have a responsibility to implement representative democracy throughout the country?
Because nobody gave it that responsibility? The federal government has a similar responsibility to actual states, what with "the United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government" being in the constitution and all.
Possibly also meaning the fact Samoa doesn't have any representation at all. It's the only territory where its population are American nationals and therefore need passports to travel the U.S. Our imperial subject states in the Marianas have more rights than the American population in American Samoa.
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

SuccubusYuri wrote:
Darth Wedgius wrote:
Possibly also meaning the fact Samoa doesn't have any representation at all. It's the only territory where its population are American nationals and therefore need passports to travel the U.S. Our imperial subject states in the Marianas have more rights than the American population in American Samoa.
I think that has to do with keeping Independent Samoa happy. It's sad, but limbo appears to be the best situation American Samoa can be in. As poor as A. S. is I. S. is even worse off, and if A. S. is brought into the fold and has a minimum wage implemented, even the milk toast federal minimum, the little business that is on the island will shrivel up and die.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Antiboyscout wrote:if A. S. is brought into the fold and has a minimum wage implemented, even the milquetoast federal minimum, the little business that is on the island will shrivel up and die.
They started phasing the $7.25 minimum wage in 10 years ago.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

TGLS wrote:
Antiboyscout wrote:if A. S. is brought into the fold and has a minimum wage implemented, even the milquetoast federal minimum, the little business that is on the island will shrivel up and die.
I'm kind out of the loop on this one. I haven't done any research in years, or even kept up with news.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Antiboyscout wrote:
TGLS wrote:
I'm kind out of the loop on this one. I haven't done any research in years, or even kept up with news.
Then maybe you should do some research before making broad predictions about the economic impact of a higher minimum wage.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville