Far-right violent attacks doubled between 2016 and 2017

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Admiral X
Captain

Re: Far-right violent attacks doubled between 2016 and 2017

Post by Admiral X »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:47 am As far as you are concerned, the continued existence of Antifa is enough of an excuse to dismiss any and all problems with right-wing domestic terrorism.
Nah, more about where your focus is.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Worffan101 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:35 am In all seriousness, I'm not surprised at all. Twitler's been tacitly encouraging these whack jobs for years, no wonder they went out and started killing people.
That tacit encouragement happens to be something you've got to read between the lines for, I take it?
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Cassandra wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:41 am
Admiral X wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:53 am Oh, well let's just ignore all the antifa and BAMN activity then.
Right wing nut jobs shooting and bombing normal people with the defacto complicity of the federal government are rather more important than delusional snowflakes who can, on good days, get far enough beyond their bedroom doors to punch the odd right wing nut job.

There might be some place for whataboutism, but this isn't it.
If we're talking about threats sent through the mail, suspicious envelopes were sent to the White House and several military leaders before these wanna-be pipe bombs were sent anywhere. You probably didn't hear as much about it in the news, though.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/201 ... 516061002/

The poisoning attempt / scare wouldn't have worked any better than the flawed pipe bombs would have worked, though.

Then there was the GOP office that was shot up. Or the intersection in an Oregon town that Antifa took over without the local PD (does that count as the defacto complicity of the local government?). They also accused drivers who didn't cooperate of being... white (with apologies for the strong language).

I agree that violence from the left doesn't excuse violence from the right. I disagree that violence on the left are "delusional snowflakes who can, on good days, get far enough beyond their bedroom doors to punch the odd right wing nut job."
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:33 am I hate this world so much, I just want it to burn down...
... and that's pretty much what's happening.

Earth will probably look like Planet Venus by the time the century's out.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:04 pm
Worffan101 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:35 am In all seriousness, I'm not surprised at all. Twitler's been tacitly encouraging these whack jobs for years, no wonder they went out and started killing people.
That tacit encouragement happens to be something you've got to read between the lines for, I take it?
How about you read what the man says on his twitter feed for a start? Like, actually read it, and watch his rallies, and take note of the many words coming out of his fat gob. I know it's not exactly easy to get through without some pepto-bismol and a stiff drink, but maybe if you could be bothered to apply a fraction of your attention and a few crumbs of active listening other people wouldn't have to spoon-feed you their hot takes on the hateful rhetoric he's been spewing non-stop since before he took office. As it is, I really feel like effort on my part would be wasted because when I point to anything short of the man dancing naked on the washington monument with "GO FORTH MY MINIONS AND KILL THE BROWN INVADERS" tattooed on his nutsack would be responded to with an accusation of self-proclaimed mind-reading powers.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Well, I certainly did not know about these envelopes, but I note those had castor seeds, not actual refiend ricin. I also note the article has no mention of his political leanings, and given his government career ending and his military official targets, that would seem to suggest more of a personal grudge for the loss of his job than a Leftist agenda.

These far right terrorism attacks, on the other hand, are confirmed far right and measured in statistically significant amounts.

Also gotta say, Antifa taking over an intersection is really more of the "punching people" level of violent action. Putting it next to a public shooting is a bit "Murder, arson, jaywalking".
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:52 pm
How about you read what the man says on his twitter feed for a start? Like, actually read it, and watch his rallies, and take note of the many words coming out of his fat gob. I know it's not exactly easy to get through without some pepto-bismol and a stiff drink, but maybe if you could be bothered to apply a fraction of your attention and a few crumbs of active listening other people wouldn't have to spoon-feed you their hot takes on the hateful rhetoric he's been spewing non-stop since before he took office. As it is, I really feel like effort on my part would be wasted because when I point to anything short of the man dancing naked on the washington monument with "GO FORTH MY MINIONS AND KILL THE BROWN INVADERS" tattooed on his nutsack would be responded to with an accusation of self-proclaimed mind-reading powers.
So, "sure, lots of evidence, go find it yourself"....
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:58 pm Well, I certainly did not know about these envelopes, but I note those had castor seeds, not actual refiend ricin. I also note the article has no mention of his political leanings, and given his government career ending and his military official targets, that would seem to suggest more of a personal grudge for the loss of his job than a Leftist agenda.

These far right terrorism attacks, on the other hand, are confirmed far right and measured in statistically significant amounts.

Also gotta say, Antifa taking over an intersection is really more of the "punching people" level of violent action. Putting it next to a public shooting is a bit "Murder, arson, jaywalking".
My understanding is that the pipe bombs may not have been things that would actually explode, either. Like I said, either an attack done incompetently or something designed to scare.

There was, as I noted, the shooting up of a GOP office as well.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:42 pm
This argument kind of loses a lot of weight when the President is openly calling Nazis "very fine people" and using '30s-style racist stereotypes in his xenophobic rants, Darth. You don't have to work to find evidence of Trump being awful, just wait for him to open his mouth.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Worffan101 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:55 am
Darth Wedgius wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:42 pm
This argument kind of loses a lot of weight when the President is openly calling Nazis "very fine people" and using '30s-style racist stereotypes in his xenophobic rants, Darth. You don't have to work to find evidence of Trump being awful, just wait for him to open his mouth.
He never called Nazis "very fine people." He said there were very fine people on both sides of a particular disagreement, some people on one side were Nazis, and some on the left decided those were the ones Trump meant.

If you can't point out xenophobia or 30s-style racist stereotypes, or if those are also as much assumptions on your part as the very-fine-Nazis assumption, then I think I have my answer.