There are more jobs than people out of work, something the American economy has never experienced before

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Re: There are more jobs than people out of work, something the American economy has never experienced before

Post by Darth Wedgius »

I don't have a solid alternate explanation, but a conspiracy of almost all employers would be really impressive.
TexasRed
Doctor's Assistant

Re: There are more jobs than people out of work, something the American economy has never experienced before

Post by TexasRed »

It is starting to happen albeit belatedly. I just got a $1.34 per hour raise. Why? Because everyone was leaving, and it looks like we're getting another raise next year... er this year actually, because the raise happened in August last year.

Another warehouse transshipment company in this area raised its starting pay from $15 to $20 per hour, that's starting pay.

After a month it jumps to $25 per hour.

So yeah pay is starting to rise, but it's happening slowly.

I personally don't think it'll really start going up until the last of the boomers finally start retiring, which won't happen until 2020.

Then the gen Xers will step in to their shoes and frankly there simply aren't enough of them to really matter. Big corps know this and will have no choice but to start pulling in millenials to replace the boomers.

ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

LittleRaven wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:18 pm
ProfessorDetective wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:12 pmOr the economic leaders are refusing to raise them. Just a thought.
But of course, if this is the case, then our economic model is not only flawed, but it's very foundation has been irreparably shattered.

Maybe things are different now. Maybe there really IS a cabal of powerful people that are capable of holding wages down.
Cabal? That would imply that the leaders are working TOGETHER. This isn't some conspiratorial perversion of the (mostly) free market, this is the natural endgame. The players are now so large and labyrinthine, the idea of a 'free' market has become impractical. The mightiest predators have gotten so big, they are now outstripping the ecosystem. The only thing keeping them from going entirely NGO is raw inertia from the old system. Give it fifty years and 'nations' shall be a lost concept. There will only be 'the Company' or 'Corporate' or what have you. Glad I'll be on my death bed by then.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

TexasRed wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:17 am It is starting to happen albeit belatedly. I just got a $1.34 per hour raise. Why? Because everyone was leaving, and it looks like we're getting another raise next year... er this year actually, because the raise happened in August last year.

Another warehouse transshipment company in this area raised its starting pay from $15 to $20 per hour, that's starting pay.

After a month it jumps to $25 per hour.

So yeah pay is starting to rise, but it's happening slowly.

I personally don't think it'll really start going up until the last of the boomers finally start retiring, which won't happen until 2020.

Then the gen Xers will step in to their shoes and frankly there simply aren't enough of them to really matter. Big corps know this and will have no choice but to start pulling in millenials to replace the boomers.
Fingers crossed.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

ProfessorDetective wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:20 am
ProfessorDetective wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:12 pmOr the economic leaders are refusing to raise them. Just a thought.
But of course, if this is the case, then our economic model is not only flawed, but it's very foundation has been irreparably shattered.

Maybe things are different now. Maybe there really IS a cabal of powerful people that are capable of holding wages down.
Cabal? That would imply that the leaders are working TOGETHER. This isn't some conspiratorial perversion of the (mostly) free market, this is the natural endgame. The players are now so large and labyrinthine, the idea of a 'free' market has become impractical. The mightiest predators have gotten so big, they are now outstripping the ecosystem. The only thing keeping them from going entirely NGO is raw inertia from the old system. Give it fifty years and 'nations' shall be a lost concept. There will only be 'the Company' or 'Corporate' or what have you. Glad I'll be on my death bed by then.
I am sure people were saying this in the 70s...

Alright all you lefties, get some guns by the way.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

ProfessorDetective wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:20 am

That is what happens with unchecked capitalism and why there needs to be regulation from governments even if it has become more difficult to do in USA because of legalized form of corruption that is big reason why American political system is so broken. Sad truth is that American politicians no longer answer to people but to corporations and rich that want to keep making more and more money on expense of American citizens while feeding they propaganda.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard