Facebook's down... Like completely... Globally...

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Re: Facebook's down... Like completely... Globally...

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Nealithi wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:37 am
ProfessorDetective wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:06 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:10 pm I'm honestly kind of confused by how big a deal people still make about Facebook. It's been a ghost town for a few years now.
It's the main social media network for a lot of the developing world and a lot of barely tech-literate Americans (the older types who learn one way to do things and will NOT budge from it, eg Zoom, Yahoo Mail).
My issue with this comment is there is a mockery attached to learned skills. Keep adapting or some such nonsense. I can get to the programs I want to run with these three clicks. Now they are hidden behind obscure sounding names and take more steps to get the same results you had the day before. But the 'old' people are to blame. Why has the GUI for mailing been altered? Used to be Name, Company Name, Address. No no now it is a quiz. Give us the postal code. Oh we don't recognize that. Three more times then direct you to a person for what is supposed to be a simple online experience that Used to work. Guess what the new version forced down everyone's throats only accepts five numeric digits. No alphabet and no more than five. Great, but my Home postal code covers five towns and has three streets with the same name and numbers. You need the other four to actually get to MY house. And international shipping? Good luck.
It can't be the new and improved system can't handle it. The old one is still in place buried and works fine still. But if you raise a question on dumbing down things to uselessness. Or altering things because you can. Then get blown off because 'You are old and barely tech-literate'.
Explain why my mother is not allowed to have a simple folder labelled Christmas 2019. Where she put all her photos for that year. And a Windows update will wipe her shortcuts and move the folder somewhere else?
That's not a stubborn unwillingness to keep current, that's Microsoft trying to reinvent the wheel and hobbling the cart... Yet again. Everyone trips when they get the rug yanked out from underneath them.

I was referring to the folks who would balk at a straight, hitchless, upgrade just because it's got a new number next to it name. New/different is bad types. Get a lot of this with pop culture, too.

And as to your grandmother's photos, a USB flash drive may be a good solution. Windows is less likely to bork an external drive. Don't know about that... Shipping(?) program you're using.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Shouldn't people who stick with what they learned way back be the ones who actively refuse to keep files on the desktop? That was something it was beat into our heads was always bad practice in the 90's.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Untitled.jpg
Power laces... alright.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

ProfessorDetective wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:49 pm
Nealithi wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:37 am
ProfessorDetective wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:06 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:10 pm I'm honestly kind of confused by how big a deal people still make about Facebook. It's been a ghost town for a few years now.
It's the main social media network for a lot of the developing world and a lot of barely tech-literate Americans (the older types who learn one way to do things and will NOT budge from it, eg Zoom, Yahoo Mail).
My issue with this comment is there is a mockery attached to learned skills. Keep adapting or some such nonsense. I can get to the programs I want to run with these three clicks. Now they are hidden behind obscure sounding names and take more steps to get the same results you had the day before. But the 'old' people are to blame. Why has the GUI for mailing been altered? Used to be Name, Company Name, Address. No no now it is a quiz. Give us the postal code. Oh we don't recognize that. Three more times then direct you to a person for what is supposed to be a simple online experience that Used to work. Guess what the new version forced down everyone's throats only accepts five numeric digits. No alphabet and no more than five. Great, but my Home postal code covers five towns and has three streets with the same name and numbers. You need the other four to actually get to MY house. And international shipping? Good luck.
It can't be the new and improved system can't handle it. The old one is still in place buried and works fine still. But if you raise a question on dumbing down things to uselessness. Or altering things because you can. Then get blown off because 'You are old and barely tech-literate'.
Explain why my mother is not allowed to have a simple folder labelled Christmas 2019. Where she put all her photos for that year. And a Windows update will wipe her shortcuts and move the folder somewhere else?
That's not a stubborn unwillingness to keep current, that's Microsoft trying to reinvent the wheel and hobbling the cart... Yet again. Everyone trips when they get the rug yanked out from underneath them.

I was referring to the folks who would balk at a straight, hitchless, upgrade just because it's got a new number next to it name. New/different is bad types. Get a lot of this with pop culture, too.

And as to your grandmother's photos, a USB flash drive may be a good solution. Windows is less likely to bork an external drive. Don't know about that... Shipping(?) program you're using.
Straight numbered changes never bother anyone here. Other than they seem to never be straight up improvements. There is always a change. I have told her to use the flash drives or her external harddrive. Now this is an old person issue. She acts like the external is voodoo or something the package marketing said it was great for music files. So she thought it was an audio media storage. But to be fair she learned computers with punch cards. Literally.

The shipping software is/was the FedEx online shipping estimate. It was good. Give the address, size and weight of the package it gave a display of all the way to ship with costs. If you had an account it neatly gave base cost and your discounted cost. Once they moved it to the bloody quiz it was useless and my FedEx rep could not make the thing work.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

hammerofglass wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:58 pm Shouldn't people who stick with what they learned way back be the ones who actively refuse to keep files on the desktop? That was something it was beat into our heads was always bad practice in the 90's.
You just brought up one of my very old headaches. My mother for a while was keeping her logins and passwords on her desktop. Because it had been beat into her not to have a written list.
I finally showed her how I could snapshot her desktop and have all her information. So she at least moved it to an excel file off the desktop.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

You pretty much have to have a written list of passwords and logins, given the number of sites that want them. Otherwise you'd be stuck repeating the limited number of complex passwords that can be reliably retained in personal memory, and then the sites on which you'd repeated them would be vulnerable when one was broken.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

If you don't want to be stuck in an upgrade cycle that revolves around profit motive instead of user satisfaction, don't use software that's made inside of that business model.

The "we don't have a choice" lie is the kind of thing that makes itself true only when enough people believe in it, and it's a lot harder to get back out of that hole once we've all collectively been pulled in.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

There's nothing wrong with the profit motive. What's important is to ensure that it's user satisfaction, not dissatisfaction, that's profitable.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

who seriously uses facebook now a days.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:58 pm who seriously uses facebook now a days.
If we include Instagram and WhatsApp... Most of the planet.