School bans Maus

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Beastro
Captain

Re: School bans Maus

Post by Beastro »

Nealithi wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:41 pm My own father, now 71 does not like it when his child 50 swears. At all. He does not like seeing it in print or hearing it on TV. So when is the right age to be around swearing. according to my father. Never.

So in an age of smartphones and cheap televisions. Why ban any book? How many of the kids go to the library to read? Are these board members trying for the Streisand effect? Or are they that stupid?
These two are related.

The change in technology is why they're being this way and don't understand how ineffective it is.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

sayla0079 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:31 am They are being idiots. Books like that need to stay in schools so people learn from history and don't repeat mistakes.
They're banning books like Maus because they do not see the Holocaust as a mistake and they want it to happen again.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

Then they are damn fools
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Draco Dracul wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:06 am
sayla0079 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:31 am They are being idiots. Books like that need to stay in schools so people learn from history and don't repeat mistakes.
They're banning books like Maus because they do not see the Holocaust as a mistake and they want it to happen again.
That's a bold claim to levy at a school.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

If the shoe fits...
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:10 am If the shoe fits...
You want it to fit.

This is typical school rules BS like being pissed at Huckleberry Finn because of racism which ignores the entire damn point of the book. I could even see this being an issue alone because it's a comic book. I myself do not like how many libraries have been gutted of books and are 75% comic books and computer terminals with people playing WoW. The downtown one where I used to live degenerated into that and I had to go to the north end of town to be able to properly browse from the other branch.

This is comparable to the claim I see tossed around here and there that Evangelicals only support Israel because they want to usher in the Eschaton. It is a mere means to an end and they care nothing for Jews, they are just obsessed with forcing God's hand and ending things.

I have never seen this from Evangelicals themselves. It speaks of a fear from many Jews themselves that, however justified given their past persecutions, isn't there. Internet edgelords the world over love to rip into them and Americans in general specifically because they feel Israel has cucked them for being so supportive.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Beastro wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:39 am
You want it to fit.

This is typical school rules BS like being pissed at Huckleberry Finn because of racism which ignores the entire damn point of the book. I could even see this being an issue alone because it's a comic book. I myself do not like how many libraries have been gutted of books and are 75% comic books and computer terminals with people playing WoW. The downtown one where I used to live degenerated into that and I had to go to the north end of town to be able to properly browse from the other branch.

This is comparable to the claim I see tossed around here and there that Evangelicals only support Israel because they want to usher in the Eschaton. It is a mere means to an end and they care nothing for Jews, they are just obsessed with forcing God's hand and ending things.

I have never seen this from Evangelicals themselves. It speaks of a fear from many Jews themselves that, however justified given their past persecutions, isn't there. Internet edgelords the world over love to rip into them and Americans in general specifically because they feel Israel has cucked them for being so supportive.
1. It wasn't because it was a comic book.
2. You wanna back up again and tell me what is this fear that Jews have which you claim isn't real?
3. I don't want it to fit. I really don't. I just have a very hard time seeing innocent reasons for banning an award-winning graphic novel about how nazis are bad and the holocaust was real.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:44 am
You want it to fit.

2. You wanna back up again and tell me what is this fear that Jews have which you claim isn't real?
3. I don't want it to fit. I really don't. I just have a very hard time seeing innocent reasons for banning an award-winning graphic novel about how nazis are bad and the holocaust was real.
1: Yes, bad words, nudity and violence, things I'd expect a school board to get pissy about.
2: That Evangelicals see them as a tool to bring about the End Times. Millions of Christian Americans are only rooting for Israel simply to get the Temple rebuilt. After that then the Jews can be damned to hell at the Last Judgement along with everyone rather than such people actually genuinely supporting Israel because they happen to approve of and support a Jewish homeland and their place in the world regardless of whatever Biblical place it has in the world.
3: Then your in the same position I've seen many gun owning Americans feel that they are in. They are actually for sensible gun controls, but they are so worried about the ulterior motives of gun control advocates they feel everything are simple steps towards outright banning firearms that they won't give an inch even on those sensible steps due to assuming their opponents are so utterly cynical and underhanded.

We live in a vortex of mistrust and fear now.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:44 am
You want it to fit.

And importantly despite the depiction of Jewish people as Mice and Nazis as cats, Maus is nonfiction.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Beastro, the question of Christian Evangelists and their ideology is a long rabbit hole that I'd rather not derail this thread is.

On a Totally Unrelated Note, books about race and sexuality are disappearing from school libraries all over Texas. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/te ... ket-newtab I'm sure it's completely innocent, like Beastro says, without any larger agenda or malicious motives.