Berkeley and the Heckler's Veto

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
TGLS
Captain

Re: Berkeley and the Heckler's Veto

Post by TGLS »

Agent Vinod wrote: Don't know what the fuck the alt right is. Care to explain it?
I posted this site little while ago, in response to a similar statement by you. Do you recognize it?
TGLS wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:The alt-right, or alternative right, is a loosely defined group of people with far-right ideologies who reject mainstream conservatism in favor of white nationalism, principally in the United States, but also to a lesser degree in Canada and Europe.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

TGLS wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote: Don't know what the fuck the alt right is. Care to explain it?
I posted this site little while ago, in response to a similar statement by you. Do you recognize it?
TGLS wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:The alt-right, or alternative right, is a loosely defined group of people with far-right ideologies who reject mainstream conservatism in favor of white nationalism, principally in the United States, but also to a lesser degree in Canada and Europe.
In that case there is nothing alt right about what i said.
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Post by SuccubusYuri »

In general just use Hamilton68 as your pulse. If Putin's robot army is propagating Berkeley violence videos and petitions to label antifa as a terrorist group, automatically assume it's probably the opposite of the side you want to be on, and use that as your starting point.
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

LittleRaven wrote:Have you heard? Milo Yiannopoulos is on the march again.
Ok, I dunno who this 'LittleRaven' guy is, but he obviously overestimates the competence of Berkeley's right wing student organizations.
With just a week to go before its scheduled start date, the far-right’s latest stunt in Berkeley is unraveling before it even began.

According to officials at UC Berkeley, the organizers of the so-called “Free Speech Week” have missed three separate deadlines and failed to provide payments and sign contracts necessary to confirm event space on campus. It’s also unclear if they actually booked the speakers they said they did.

Campus spokesperson Dan Mogulof said the organizers behind the event, including the odious Milo Yiannopoulos and Berkeley’s conservative student publication, The Berkeley Patriot, missed the original August 11 deadline, when they were supposed to sign a contract to reserve rooms and security for the scheduled speakers. They also missed an August 18 deadline, when the contract and associated payment were due.

The campus extended the deadline to August 25, but still the organizers failed to respond. When the deadline was again extended to September 15, the organizers finally managed to sign the contract in time, but failed to provide the required payment.
And now we see the flipside of being a bunch of agent provocateurs. Sure, you have the right to have Milo spout nonsense and nobody is allowed to punch you. But if you fail to jump through the proper hoops in order to organize your event...well, don't expect anyone to shed any tears over your plight. Being a First Amendment warrior is work, bro.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

This reminds me of an attempt that was made on my university campus years ago (during the Bush years) to start up a "conservative" student paper to, in their minds, counter the existing "liberal" student paper. The thing is, they failed to cross their t's and dot their i's, too, and then they had the gall to try to blame their failure on the student president. :lol:
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR