Wisconsin Law Allows Toddlers to Hunt with Guns

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Re: Wisconsin Law Allows Toddlers to Hunt with Guns

Post by Karha of Honor »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:...I have no words.
Do not worry, guns can protect words.
ORCACommander
Officer

Post by ORCACommander »

Frankly fuzzy Anything and everything is legal until a law is made against it.

And quite frankly there are already laws on the book to cover this if the parents are idiots and an accident happens, Endangering a Minor, Neglect
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

ORCACommander wrote:Frankly fuzzy Anything and everything is legal until a law is made against it.

And quite frankly there are already laws on the book to cover this if the parents are idiots and an accident happens, Endangering a Minor, Neglect
Exactly. You can't legislate against crazy and stupid, but you can encourage education and responsibility. Forcing people by making a law about it can never truly stop it from happening. The only way for a good idea to work is to teach and spread it around and change people's mind. Though I am not above punishing people for being stupid and making dangerous mistakes
"Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

Granted, I grew up in New Mexico, but this doesn't seem horribly shocking to me. I fired my first gun before I was 10. Both of my children fired their first gun before they were 10. I made sure of that - I wanted them to know what a gun was and what it could do, because we live in a country with a LOT of guns, and I considered it very important that they respect a gun if they find it.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

LittleRaven wrote:Granted, I grew up in New Mexico, but this doesn't seem horribly shocking to me. I fired my first gun before I was 10.
Had my father not died when I was 6, I would have had a similar experience; he was a farmer and I had a lot of cousins with squirrel guns. But my mother moved us to Chicago and the guns I inherited have never been fired by me.
Last edited by Robovski on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PlasmaHam
Redshirt

Post by PlasmaHam »

I don't see the big deal. Responsible parents can teach their kids to be comfortable around guns at an early age, and there are already laws on the book to prevent irresponsible parents from endangering their kids. The best route here would be to forget legislating a minimal age for hunting, and instead just educating parents and kids on the responsibility of a gun.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

ORCACommander wrote:Frankly fuzzy Anything and everything is legal until a law is made against it.

But that happens AFTER somebody gets shot.

...how about y'all wait until kids are potty-trained before introducing them to a lethal weapon? What harm would that do?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
ORCACommander
Officer

Post by ORCACommander »

And that is exactly what a responsible firearm owners should do. Proper education about firearms does need to start young, so they know not to touch it and treat it with respect. Around age 10 though is when i would start training them in how to use it properly.

Laws do not do well at preventing anything. all they provide is a modicum of justice to those wronged after the fact.
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:...how about y'all wait until kids are potty-trained before introducing them to a lethal weapon? What harm would that do?
Uh....my kids were all potty trained by 3. Shooting came well after that.

If I may ask, Fuzzy....at what age did you get introduced to firearms?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Alright, maybe they can wait until they don't need training wheels for bikes or something? You're not allowed to drive a car until age 16, and that's not INTENDED to kill.

I have never been introduced to firearms. They snub me at parties.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville