Another day, another police beating in America

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
GreyICE
Captain

Re: Another day, another police beating in America

Post by GreyICE »

Captain Crimson wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:33 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:00 pm So you got any thoughts on GreyICE's list of demands, Madner?
I'd agree with most of the points, except bits and bobs. To that, I will counter-retort.

What do you expect from people charged with a duty who are carrying armed weapons, which demands a certain level of respect to the awesome power they possess? A military mindset is not going to be that far removed from them, and it is buried within all social settings, despite our peaceful veneer. And riot gear and kicking down doors has their place. As to civilian oversight, I'd agree here, but I'd also say that I would prefer an exception for genuine undercover cases, like detectives and the like.
We expect all gun owners with a concealed carry permit to be better than that. Every single one. And for the most part? They are. So how can we ask everyone in America with a CCW permit - millions of people - to act with restraint and have it happen, then turn around and say "but the police can't"? I feel like I know CCW holders who are responsible people, and I don't want to think that they're all secretly just waiting to "wield their awesome power".

In fact I'd like to say that many of them would prefer to never fire their gun at all except at the range or when hunting. Many have told me as much. I believe them. Some of them have been ex-military, and have wielded awesome power. One drove a tank - an actual M-1 Abrams. He enjoyed shooting, and is good at it (although I haven't spoken to him in several years, but I doubt he got worse). Good man. Sold most of his guns when his first kid was born because he didn't want his kids to grow up to do what daddy did. I don't think he ever wanted to fire a gun at a human ever.
Captain Crimson wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:33 pmAnd riot gear and kicking down doors has their place.
Sure. But not for drugs. For weapons smugglers, maybe. For Al Qaeda. You don't even need a team in every city - you could have a handful of hyper militarized teams that trained on army bases and came in when shit got real (police Delta Force). That way there isn't pressure to use them either. Once your city spends two million dollars on SWAT, they have to do something with it. If a state (or for smaller ones, groups of states) fund a few highly trained squads, there's much less pressure to use them.

There are "bad dudes" who need that. But they're rare, and they'll be made more rare by more peace, not less. Criminals ultimately don't want the sort of heat that being militarized brings, because they're a business (an unethical and violent one, but a business nevertheless). No one buys from you if you're in a shootout.

The war on drugs has cost our country so, so much. And I can only look at what we paid and say "we lost."
Captain Crimson wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:33 pmAs to civilian oversight, I'd agree here, but I'd also say that I would prefer an exception for genuine undercover cases, like detectives and the like.
Definitely! Oversight when cases or over, or when things have gone sideways. The intent is not to sit there staring over a cops shoulder whenever they write a ticket. Just review times when force was used, when it was used, and look over major cases. Maybe a random sampling of other ones, make sure they're all in order, but the intent would not be to bury the police under paperwork or justifications.

A better trained police would use force less anyway. Maybe eventually the civilian oversight begins to feel superfluous, and the special prosecutor spends most of their time playing golf because the rare times the police use force are obviously justified. That'd be a wonderful thing to waste money on, rather than wasting it on payments to people who have been wronged by the police, faultlessly imprisoned, beaten, killed.

I'd love to waste money instead having people check through the police's work and prepare reports showing us all was well. That strikes me as an ideal world, in many ways.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Captain Crimson wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:00 am Also, while I will never defend police outreach, while I want justice for their victims, at the same time, they're in an extremely dangerous job
Not as dangerous as they like to make out, and I notice we don't make excuses for garbage men who murder people just because it's on the job.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Madner Kami wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:36 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:00 pm So you got any thoughts on GreyICE's list of demands, Madner?
A good example of you not actually reading or, rather, understanding anything I wrote in either this thread regarding this theme or any other on this board so far. But hey, I'll humour you:

2. Transparency and oversight. Full civilian oversight boards. Independent prosecutor to bring charges. Full investigations.

Every government institution should be held to those principles.

3. End the culture of silence. Transparency in all dealings. Cops whose body cameras "malfunction" can be gone. Cops who stand by quietly, go. No one needs them.

How switching off your camera is a thing in the first place, is beyond me, given the purpose they serve. Courts accepting eye-witness testimony from cops who switched their cameras off, are a joke. I do get why courts do it (prejudices of all kinds aside, there's the obvious co-dependency between police and judges, as neither can do their job without the other, so obviously one doesn't bite the hand one is fed by), but that can be solved by off-loading cases were police misconduct is investigated to specialized institituions which are not a direct part of the regular hierarchy of the current judicial or executive system.

4. End qualified immunity being applied to uses of violence (added in 2005). Restrict it behind the 1967 boundaries. No more immunity for acts of violence.

I'm not versed in the legalese mentioned in this point, but in general, you want your cops to be able to use force, even deadly, in cases where they are in doubt. In a country where pretty much everyone can be armed, this is doubly so, both in order to defend themselves as well as defend the people they are bound to protect from harm. However, proper training in de-escalation, recognition (of arms in particular), a proper vetting process of your aspirants and the things mentioned in 3, should adress this problem, as well as proper investigation and, if necessary, prosecution after the fact.

5. Train in methods other than the use of force. Train them that force is a last resort, train them in non-violent methods. The last thing cops need to be doing is reaching for handcuffs, not the first. Train in communication, establishing trust, and openness. And hold them to that.

Just being nice to each other, goes a long way. If you ask someone to give him your papers and he instinctively reaches for his glove-box and the person in question has not shown any agressive or funky behaviour, then the likelyhood of him reaching for a weapon is almost zero. THings like that shouldn't needed to be taught, but heyho... we in america yo. Hey, radical procedural suggestion: Ask the person where his papers are, before asking to get the papers. Or better yet, ask the person to leave the car and ask for where the papers are and get them yourself. Should solve almost every problem...

1. End the militarization of the police force.

You got military and you got police. Those are two distinct forces. Certainly, where military surplus can be used (e.g. ammunition, certain types of arms, maybe even some technical equipment), trickle-down is acceptable and welcome to reduce the running costs. A sheriff with a Bradley is a no go for obvious reasons though.

No more no knock tactics

No idea what that is.

, no more riot gear

You do need a riot police. For obvious reasons. And since a force that is trained to deal with riots needs to be high on manpower for obvious reasons, you'll likely not want to make it a specialized force. Training regular policemen for riot situations is perfectly sensible and supplying them with the necessary gear an obivous necessity.

no more smashing down doors to say hello.

Lacking context.

No nighttime raids

Same. Why? What's the context? Why shouldn't police be allowed to conduct a raid on, say, a drug-dealers home at night? Am I missing something?

no shooting through windows,

Because ... ?

no murdering dogs.

If the dog is a threat, then off the dog. Simple. Dogs are weapons, in case you missed it. That is, unless you talk about the kind of dog that is barely larger than one's foot.

Focus on de-escalation.

See the myriad of earlier replies of mine.
Shooting through windows is a problem because of the many, many times the police aimed for somebody and killed somebody else, often uninvolved, frequently even asleep at the time.

Police dogs are specifically "trained" to be aggressive and do not distinguish between threats and bystanders.

I don't see eye to eye with you on 4 and 5, and doubt I ever will. Your response on 5 is especially a point of contention for me. Starbucks baristas can get yelled at without poisoning anyone. Garbage collectors have a much more dangerous job than police. If you need people to be police and nice to you in order to not kill them, you should never be allowed to have a gun in the first place, much less a badge. Still, we've established some common ground. That's good.

Now if only we could get any of this stuff passed into law without police rioting. Or even ask for it in protests without them using non-lethal weapons in a potentially lethal manner on said protesters.
Last edited by Fuzzy Necromancer on Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

And now, a word from our protestors and protest veterans

G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

One reform we could use is increased psychological testing to weed out people who are not good in a tense, quick situation.

While the murder of George Floyd stems from obviously abusive behavior on the part of the cops, a lot of unjustified police killings come about because the policeman has to make a split-second life or death decision and he makes the wrong one.

Definitely, there needs to be more testing to make certain that officers can handle themselves well.
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Oh look, during the protests sparked by the police murdering an unarmed black man, the police murdered another unarmed black man. Specifically one famous for providing free food to police. He wasn't even protesting, he was just running his restaurant in the general vicinity.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/06/kentucky-man-killed-by-law-enforcement-during-george-floyd-protest-had-provided-police-officers-with-free-meals/
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:45 am
Captain Crimson wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:00 am Also, while I will never defend police outreach, while I want justice for their victims, at the same time, they're in an extremely dangerous job
Not as dangerous as they like to make out, and I notice we don't make excuses for garbage men who murder people just because it's on the job.
False equivalency. It is not expected from garbage men to go into potentially hostile areas, to face life and death, or permanent crippling.

Also, I'm curious, do you support these riots? Even though they're accomplish nothing long-term past giving Mr. 45 ammo and helping the other side to dig their heels in.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

No, garbage men DO face life or death and permanent crippling. They literally have a higher risk of on-the-job death than police do. The highest of any profession in the USA, depending on how you parse what counts as a separate profession.

You keep saying “it’s horrible that an innocent black man was killed, but destroying property has to stop”.

Try saying “It’s horrible that property is being destroyed but killing innocent black men has to stop”
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Captain Crimson wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:49 amAlso, I'm curious, do you support these riots? Even though they're accomplish nothing long-term past giving Mr. 45 ammo and helping the other side to dig their heels in.
How do you know what it is or isn't accomplishing long-term?
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:09 am
Captain Crimson wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:49 amAlso, I'm curious, do you support these riots? Even though they're accomplish nothing long-term past giving Mr. 45 ammo and helping the other side to dig their heels in.
How do you know what it is or isn't accomplishing long-term?
Property damage? Vandalism? Looting? Not the peaceful demonstrations, obviously, but setting buildings on fire? It emboldens Mr. 45 when he rails against anarchy. Do you support anarchism?