The Russian Invasion of Ukraine

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: The Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Post by Madner Kami »

phantom000 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:03 pm War is returning to Russia, Zelenskyy says after drone attacks

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/dron ... -rcna97217

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/dron ... -rcna97217

This makes me think of what Sheridan said to Ivanova; 'fight them without becoming them.' Random drone strikes on Russian cities is not going to impact the Russian war effort, the city busting of WW2 proved that if anything it just makes them want to fight you even more. If he's not very careful Zelenskyy might make it look like he is killing civilians in a petty game of tit-for-tat. If he confines his drone strikes to military bases then at least he could argue that he is only targeting the Russian war effort, not the Russian people or even necessarily the Russian state.
Those drones were aimed at and hit buildings where the russian Ministry of Defence holds office. Don't fall for the russian misinformation strategy. You may come back to Sheridan's quote, once Ukraine starts to systematically attack civilian-only infrastructre, like churches where people and particularly children were looking for shelter or Ukraine starts massacring entire towns.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

And Kerch-Boom Part 3 appears to have been released. Let's see what part of the bridge gets tired tonight... Listened-in radio-communication (Nitter.net)
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

Russian families sold on Putin's promise of affordable, seaside living are selling their homes and hunting for cheaper properties in occupied Ukraine

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/r ... smsnnews11

To me, this looks like the beginning of Palestine 2.0 but I am curious how much of this is Russian propaganda. I can see Putin trying something like this as a long term strategy to strengthen his hold on the reason, leaders have tried similar plans in the past, but how desperate do you have to be to want to live about 100 miles from an active warzone?
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

phantom000 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:36 pm [...] an active warzone?
̶n̶̶u̶̶c̶̶u̶̶l̶̶a̶̶r̶ Spechul Military Operation
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

phantom000 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:36 pm Russian families sold on Putin's promise of affordable, seaside living are selling their homes and hunting for cheaper properties in occupied Ukraine

To me, this looks like the beginning of Palestine 2.0 but I am curious how much of this is Russian propaganda. I can see Putin trying something like this as a long term strategy to strengthen his hold on the reason, leaders have tried similar plans in the past, but how desperate do you have to be to want to live about 100 miles from an active warzone?
I think it's very hard for us to understand in the free world just what an iron grip Putin has over the media. There is nothing in Mariupol. Nothing. For someone to want to move there is the height of stupidity.

But the Russian people probably don't know that.

I'll say this though. If you arrive there, take in the sights of the blood and rubble and still think to yourself "I'll have a bit of this, thank you very much,'' then you deserve everything you get. You mention Palestine, difference is that the sympathy for the Russians in comparison is incredibly small. No one will mourn the cold hearted bastard that takes up residence in a city that is 95% destroyed.
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

clearspira wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:38 pm
phantom000 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:36 pm Russian families sold on Putin's promise of affordable, seaside living are selling their homes and hunting for cheaper properties in occupied Ukraine

I think it's very hard for us to understand in the free world just what an iron grip Putin has over the media. There is nothing in Mariupol. Nothing. For someone to want to move there is the height of stupidity.

But the Russian people probably don't know that.

I'll say this though. If you arrive there, take in the sights of the blood and rubble and still think to yourself "I'll have a bit of this, thank you very much,'' then you deserve everything you get. You mention Palestine, difference is that the sympathy for the Russians in comparison is incredibly small. No one will mourn the cold hearted bastard that takes up residence in a city that is 95% destroyed.
It depends on how things play out down the line, I mean the whole Russian occupation zone could collapse in a year but if it doesn't and there a whole generations of Russians growing up in cities like Mariupol that would create new obstacles for Ukraine to reclaim it. But that really depends on how Ukraine's counter offensive goes and what happens afterward.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

What's to be done with Russian occupiers? From the works of Jack Vance:
In Emphyrio, criminals are "exiled to Bauredel". This involves using an advancing wall to push them over the border. One inch on the Bauredel side of the border is another, fixed, wall.
I can't help but wonder how many people are voluntarily relocating to occupied territory, and how many are 'voluntarily' doing so.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

Russia and Ukraine trade drone attacks as Kyiv claims it took out a key S-400 missile defense system

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukrai ... 9d9a41a150

I get the feeling this is a sign of things to come, given that drones are becoming more common on the ground as well as in the air how long before entire wars are fought with nothing but unmanned weapon systems?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

phantom000 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:14 pm Russia and Ukraine trade drone attacks as Kyiv claims it took out a key S-400 missile defense system

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukrai ... 9d9a41a150

I get the feeling this is a sign of things to come, given that drones are becoming more common on the ground as well as in the air how long before entire wars are fought with nothing but unmanned weapon systems?
How long will it be? Ten to twenty years. Maximum. Any small country will be able to have a formidable strike capability for very little cost.

The next truly scary breakthrough will be stealth drones completely impervious to any kind of radar or ground-to-air missile. They probably already exist.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BREAKING NEWS, this one is big.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66599733

Wagner chief Yevgeny Prigozhin has been killed in a plane crash. And if there is anyone here who thinks that this is an accident I have some magic beans to sell you. If the remnants of Wagner loyal to him react badly we are talking insurrection here.