Hamas Attacks Israel

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
phantom000
Captain

Re: Hamas Attacks Israel

Post by phantom000 »

clearspira wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:28 pm Israel's aim is not to kill off Muslims for the sake of killing off Muslims nor is it to destroy the Palestinians as a people. They are trying to kill Hamas. The elephant in the room here is that Hamas's actions against Israel is far closer to the definition of genocide because they ARE deliberately trying to indiscriminately murder Jews and Israeli's.
What worries me (as in that I can't be certain it is happening but so far no one has convinced me it is not happening) is that Israel's goal is to destroy the Palestinians as a people while using Hamas as a convenient excuse. It might explain why they are upset at the UN for talking about humanitarian aid for the people in Gaza, they don't want outsiders seeing something they're not supposed to.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:28 pmIsrael's aim is not to kill off Muslims for the sake of killing off Mus ims nor is it to destroy the Palestinians as a people. They are trying to kill Hamas. The elephant in the room here is that Hamas's actions against Israel is far closer to the definition of genocide because they ARE deliberately trying to indiscriminately murder Jews and Israeli's.
No, the goal of NETANYAHU is to get the Palestinians out of the West Bank so it can be colonized by Jewish settlers. He has been upfront about this and his hatred as well as disdain for the two state solution. He is a Far Right extremist and has consistently supported illegal settlements, military support for them, and cutting off supplies to drive them out.

Which is to say, murder is not the goal but displacement is.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

clearspira wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:28 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:18 pm So the genocide continues and the president is backing it all the way. I feel sick knowing that I voted for Biden.
Genocide is a word that people love to throw around nowadays. I saw it used a lot when Russia attacked Ukraine. Thing is, it's not a synonym for ''a terrible thing happening'' it actually has a very specific meaning.

''The deliberate killing of a large number of people from a particular nation or ethnic group with the aim of destroying that nation or group.''

Israel's aim is not to kill off Muslims for the sake of killing off Muslims nor is it to destroy the Palestinians as a people.
No, they are trying to destroy the Palestinians as a people. They have made that abundantly clear through their actions and their words. They are making zero distinction between civilians and combatants. They want the people of Palestine dead. Hamas is merely the casus belli to justify committing that genocide. There is nothing a Palestinian in the Gaza strip can do that will convince the armies of Israel not to kill them, short of being out of firing range.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

clearspira wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:28 pm BTW, you have a two party system. Your choice was Trump or Biden. Feeling sick for voting in Biden implies that you either had a third choice or that Trump would be doing something different. Do you think Trump would be doing something different right now? If anything, Putin would probably be knocking on Poland's door right about now and thus we would have two massively destabilised and blood-soaked places to think about as opposed to one and a half.
I don't think 45 would have been any better, but part of being a moral person means acknowledging the consequences of your choice, and I have to recognize that I still voted for a man who is playing cheerleader for Israel's campaign of ethnic cleansing. I have to live with that.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:42 am
clearspira wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:28 pm BTW, you have a two party system. Your choice was Trump or Biden. Feeling sick for voting in Biden implies that you either had a third choice or that Trump would be doing something different. Do you think Trump would be doing something different right now? If anything, Putin would probably be knocking on Poland's door right about now and thus we would have two massively destabilised and blood-soaked places to think about as opposed to one and a half.
I don't think 45 would have been any better, but part of being a moral person means acknowledging the consequences of your choice, and I have to recognize that I still voted for a man who is playing cheerleader for Israel's campaign of ethnic cleansing. I have to live with that.
Eh, Biden is the only major Western leader calling for Israel and Egypt to allow humanitarian aid in and to dial down their attacks. While you may despise "middle path" politics, it might be about the only way to exert pressure from the inside.
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:28 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:42 am
Eh, Biden is the only major Western leader calling for Israel and Egypt to allow humanitarian aid in and to dial down their attacks. While you may despise "middle path" politics, it might be about the only way to exert pressure from the inside.
I think the humanitarian aid should have been the first priority with military support being conditional on those terms.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

phantom000 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:26 pm I think the humanitarian aid should have been the first priority with military support being conditional on those terms.
That may be the moral choice. Practically, it probably means you give up bargaining power and save no one. So where's that land morally after-the-fact?
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

There hasn't really been much assistance beyond the usual anyway. Sent over some advisors who were at the Fallujah disaster to tell them what not to do, that's about it.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

hammerofglass wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:57 pm There hasn't really been much assistance beyond the usual anyway. Sent over some advisors who were at the Fallujah disaster to tell them what not to do, that's about it.
That's another element: Israel doesn't need any military aid from the US and everyone knows that.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Perhaps more accurately, they don’t need anything more than they already have to carry out the mix of murder and displacement they want to accomplish.

Of course, if Iran isn’t willing to sit back and watch, then they’ll be begging for more arms, and will get them. It’s rather disgusting.