Hamas Attacks Israel

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Hamas Attacks Israel

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

clearspira wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:20 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:31 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:28 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:42 am
clearspira wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:28 pm BTW, you have a two party system. Your choice was Trump or Biden. Feeling sick for voting in Biden implies that you either had a third choice or that Trump would be doing something different. Do you think Trump would be doing something different right now? If anything, Putin would probably be knocking on Poland's door right about now and thus we would have two massively destabilised and blood-soaked places to think about as opposed to one and a half.
I don't think 45 would have been any better, but part of being a moral person means acknowledging the consequences of your choice, and I have to recognize that I still voted for a man who is playing cheerleader for Israel's campaign of ethnic cleansing. I have to live with that.
Eh, Biden is the only major Western leader calling for Israel and Egypt to allow humanitarian aid in and to dial down their attacks. While you may despise "middle path" politics, it might be about the only way to exert pressure from the inside.
It looks like a pretty milquetoast response to ethnic cleansing and war crimes.

I honestly don't understand why any Democrat is publicly supporting Israel. Like, I know what the Republicans get out of it. They want the Israel chess peices in place for their apocolypse fantasy. But what do the Democrats get out of kissing Israel's ass as if their careers depended on it?
I find it interesting how if you are on the Left then you MUST support Palestine, and if you are on the Right then you MUST support Israel. No True Scotsman fallacy at its finest.
That's...that's not even remotely applicable here. That is not what "no true scottsman" means. At all.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:31 pm It looks like a pretty milquetoast response to ethnic cleansing and war crimes.

I honestly don't understand why any Democrat is publicly supporting Israel. Like, I know what the Republicans get out of it. They want the Israel chess peices in place for their apocolypse fantasy. But what do the Democrats get out of kissing Israel's ass as if their careers depended on it?
I mean there's two:

1. Hamas attacked and carried out a bunch of horrific rapes and murders, including of US citizens.

2. They have more than enough military hardware to wipe out Palestine as is. The only thing that hasn't stopped it before has been pressure from allies.
Madner Kami wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:11 pm Do they? That statement is ignoring a lot of history in the Levant, considering "the Jews" were a genocidal invading force in the Levant a couple thousand years ago and managed to become one again there relatively recently
Seriously. WTF.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:24 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:11 pm Do they? That statement is ignoring a lot of history in the Levant, considering "the Jews" were a genocidal invading force in the Levant a couple thousand years ago and managed to become one again there relatively recently
Seriously. WTF.
Could you be a bit more specific and elaborate on your disagreement, so I can adress your concern? It should've been obvious from context, that those lines were purposefully exaggerated/inflammatory, after all.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Madner Kami wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:35 pm
Could you be a bit more specific and elaborate on your disagreement, so I can adress your concern? It should've been obvious from context, that those lines were purposefully exaggerated/inflammatory, after all.
Ancestral crimes is fucked up to bring up in any context, even to make fun of.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:52 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:35 pm
Ancestral crimes is fucked up to bring up in any context, even to make fun of.
Seriously. WTF xD
Power laces... alright.
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

‘Children were carrying other injured children’: Witness describes aftermath of Israeli strike on Gaza refugee camp

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/31/middleea ... -gaza-intl

This does not look good for the IDF, even if there were Hamas leaders in the camp why not use a special operations team? True civilians could still be killed in the crossfire but not nearly as many as with an airstrike.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

phantom000 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:57 am ‘Children were carrying other injured children’: Witness describes aftermath of Israeli strike on Gaza refugee camp

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/31/middleea ... -gaza-intl

This does not look good for the IDF, even if there were Hamas leaders in the camp why not use a special operations team? True civilians could still be killed in the crossfire but not nearly as many as with an airstrike.
Netanyahu has always been clear his goal was to force the Palestinians to leave. He's taking advantage of this.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

The planning for insurgencies my guess would be what precludes them from being considered more.

I think I heard that drone strikes are overall lighter on civilian casualties.
Power laces... alright.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Where did you hear that?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord