Hamas Attacks Israel

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Hamas Attacks Israel

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:37 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:58 pm
phantom000 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:44 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:25 am Yeah the distinction between stacked housing units and spread out huts doesn’t quite extinguish the concern.
Israel said the strike on the camp was to eliminate an important Hamas leader, fine, that is a legitimate military strategy except you can do that with one bullet, why do you need an air bomb?
You might want to ready what I wrote above and put two and two together.
Explain it to me like I'm a child, because I'm still not seeing your point.
IIRC he was saying that there's an underground complex, probably as part of a horde of networking underground infrastructure that's longstanding as a base of operations for various contingents that have operated on the land over the years. Not to mention housing a sacred artifact supposedly capable of transferring information through parallel realms, shrouded in mystery to outsiders.
Power laces... alright.
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

US warns Israel amid Gaza carnage it doesn’t have long before support erodes

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-team-send- ... 3400.html?

I like to think this is a step in the right direction but I do have to wonder how much influence the USA has right now. Can Biden actually reign in Netanyahu or is he just shaking his fist in the air?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

phantom000 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:02 pm US warns Israel amid Gaza carnage it doesn’t have long before support erodes

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-team-send- ... 3400.html?

I like to think this is a step in the right direction but I do have to wonder how much influence the USA has right now. Can Biden actually reign in Netanyahu or is he just shaking his fist in the air?
US is largely a silent benefactor. Support is more garnished on national interests rather than state economic commerce curriculum. It's not a carrot and stick situation.
Power laces... alright.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

We could just try to stop giving them weapons funding and see how that works. Has anyone tried that or are we going to keep rubber stamping it in the hope that maybe they'll listen if the US asks politely?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:35 pm We could just try to stop giving them weapons funding and see how that works. Has anyone tried that or are we going to keep rubber stamping it in the hope that maybe they'll listen if the US asks politely?
What, and risk the cannon fodder for a hypothetical war with Iran not being fully equipped?
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:35 pm We could just try to stop giving them weapons funding and see how that works. Has anyone tried that or are we going to keep rubber stamping it in the hope that maybe they'll listen if the US asks politely?
But they’re not Soviets, so we have to do anything they discretely ask for by terms of economic support.
Power laces... alright.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Israel has a well developed arms industry. Shutting off the supply would be meaningless.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Obama talked a bit about his administration’s own efforts at negotiation. Iirc the rootedness of the situation tended to stretch diplomatic efforts by the us.
Power laces... alright.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

hammerofglass wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:40 pm
What, and risk the cannon fodder for a hypothetical war with Iran not being fully equipped?
Please elaborate. I'm not very familiar with the role Iran plays in this situation.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:13 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:40 pm
Please elaborate. I'm not very familiar with the role Iran plays in this situation.
The US has been funding the IDF to act as a local proxy for generations. That's a very expensive bridge to burn.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.