MAGA rioters storm the Senate

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: MAGA rioters storm the Senate

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:18 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:12 am
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:06 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:10 pm
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:01 pm Again, I hate this too but my the only reason I still bring up the left is because their habit of just dismissing murderers from their side as just being outliers and not doing anything to stop it from happening again makes it easier for those outliers to become more and more the norm, until, something like this happens from the left.
That's kind of their problem and not ours though. Nobody else on the left is really supposed to answer for them. Shit that's how the right operates as well.

If you believe it is such a problem, then the rational course is to argue against the people causing the problem, and not make up a hierarchy of blame by your own personal moral account that's rather secular.

Again, I'm personally supportive of your pacifism and passivism, but I also believe you hold a somewhat unfair view and expectation of Black Lives Matter.
But also, the problem is that the problem seems to be the left in general ignoring their extremists, not any particular individuals.
It's not "their" extremists. Leftist youtubers aren't enabling black nationalist extremists. This kind of thing has been a social force since before the civil rights era and doesn't define black rights, much less "the left."

You're grossly misrepresenting or misunderstanding the organizational structure of the left and/or black civil rights movement.
I guess but I still say it's the rhetoric that is emboldening those black nationalists.
Very much an overestimation of their platform.
..What mirror universe?
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:01 pm Again, I hate this too but my the only reason I still bring up the left is because their habit of just dismissing murderers from their side as just being outliers and not doing anything to stop it from happening again makes it easier for those outliers to become more and more the norm, until, something like this happens from the left.
That's kind of their problem and not ours though. Nobody else on the left is really supposed to answer for them. Shit that's how the right operates as well.

If you believe it is such a problem, then the rational course is to argue against the people causing the problem, and not make up a hierarchy of blame by your own personal moral account that's rather secular.

Again, I'm personally supportive of your pacifism and passivism, but I also believe you hold a somewhat unfair view and expectation of Black Lives Matter.
But also, the problem is that the problem seems to be the left in general ignoring their extremists, not any particular individuals.
It's not "their" extremists. Leftist youtubers aren't enabling black nationalist extremists. This kind of thing has been a social force since before the civil rights era and doesn't define black rights, much less "the left."

You're grossly misrepresenting or misunderstanding the organizational structure of the left and/or black civil rights movement.
I guess but I still say it's the rhetoric that is emboldening those black nationalists.
Yeah, unlike the rhetoric for MAGA Right DB?
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:32 am

Very much an overestimation of their platform.
Thebestoftherest wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:33 am Yeah, unlike the rhetoric for MAGA Right DB?
MAGA are scum too but really think, in 2014, protestors chanted "What do we want? Dead Cops" and then two officers were murdered. And we still have shit like this with things like "Moms for Dead Cops".
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

On top of the storming of the national capital, there were attacks at a lot of state capitols. I want to go to Harrisburg to do Antifa stuff, but I'm worried because I'd have to take multiple forms of public transportation to get there so that's more exposure risks and cases in my state are pretty high. Plus, I honestly don't know if I have the energy for it. =/
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:27 am
MAGA are scum too but really think, in 2014, protestors chanted "What do we want? Dead Cops" and then two officers were murdered. And we still have shit like this with things like "Moms for Dead Cops".
Here’s the thing: I don’t believe you.

You’ve reliably presented a double standard which holds cops should face LESS criticism and LESS scrutiny in the conduct of their literal jobs, which involves shooting people, than a social movement and marches involving thousands and millions.

WHEN did you see and hear these things. In what context. Do you have evidence to suggest this is widespread?

Give me a reason to believe this isn’t second hand lies from your cop relatives feeding you the racist idea that all Black people are a danger to them.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

I don't think it's even that I think it's just videos he sees on youtube and the general commercial liberal media climate.
..What mirror universe?
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

CmdrKing wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:28 pm

You’ve reliably presented a double standard which holds cops should face LESS criticism and LESS scrutiny in the conduct of their literal jobs, which involves shooting people, than a social movement and marches involving thousands and millions.

WHEN did you see and hear these things. In what context. Do you have evidence to suggest this is widespread?

Give me a reason to believe this isn’t second hand lies from your cop relatives feeding you the racist idea that all Black people are a danger to them.
I second CmdrKing here.
I also have police relatives and was a cop at one point.
No question I saw more racist behavior from fellow cops than I saw communities or community members actively opposing cops. My experiences are anecdotal and a decade old, but the idea of pointing to even a handful of cases of protestors chanting that sort of thing (especially when there were national demonstrations of millions of people) is not the same sort of pattern as the systemic issues within the police as a culture and as a professional institution.

Also, fun fact, ALL OF THIS remains a false dichotomy and case of "what about" that has no merit.
None of this shit relates to or forgives the increasingly disturbing information coming out about the events at the capital, an event that is still under investigation, and an impeachment vote is being taken AS I WRITE THIS.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

It's not all black people but even one such extremist is too many and not caring about those extremist makes it easier for them to become the norm.

and those instances of cop death threats come from the wiki article I sited before and the police thread here, respectively.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:51 pm

I second CmdrKing here.
I also have police relatives and was a cop at one point.
No question I saw more racist behavior from fellow cops than I saw communities or community members actively opposing cops. My experiences are anecdotal and a decade old, but the idea of pointing to even a handful of cases of protestors chanting that sort of thing (especially when there were national demonstrations of millions of people) is not the same sort of pattern as the systemic issues within the police as a culture and as a professional institution.

Also, fun fact, ALL OF THIS remains a false dichotomy and case of "what about" that has no merit.
None of this shit relates to or forgives the increasingly disturbing information coming out about the events at the capital, an event that is still under investigation, and an impeachment vote is being taken AS I WRITE THIS.
I never said it forgives the MAGA riot but the think is, the right will never listen to us, telling them how awful they are is never going to accomplish anything but being critical of our own side can ensure we won't become as bad as them.

I don't want to focus on my worries but I cannot help it.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

You're simplifying matters into left and right far too conveniently. The extremists aren't "on our side" ever.
..What mirror universe?