Will there be a 51st US state?

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Antiboyscout
Captain

Re: Will there be a 51st US state?

Post by Antiboyscout »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:
Antiboyscout wrote:
TGLS wrote:
Antiboyscout wrote:if A. S. is brought into the fold and has a minimum wage implemented, even the milquetoast federal minimum, the little business that is on the island will shrivel up and die.
They started phasing the $7.25 minimum wage in 10 years ago.
I'm kind out of the loop on this one. I haven't done any research in years, or even kept up with news.
Then maybe you should do some research before making broad predictions about the economic impact of a higher minimum wage.
Forbes artical: "The American Experience Of A Too High Minimum Wage: Employment Down By 35%, GDP Down By 23%"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstal ... 5010805c1c
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Post by SuccubusYuri »

The most consistent figure for minimum wage increase is "no more than 60% the median wage". That's where the 15 movement comes from (median wage in the US being ~25/hr). So, yes, obviously, the tuna industry is going to crumble when you insist they pay their employees double what they were paying them previously.

Though this article of Forbes is pinning the blame for Puerto Rico's economic troubles on the minimum wage. But I was told by the president it's because they're a tax haven and poor infrastructure investment. We'll obviously have to figure out which of these is true, because otherwise the answer would have to be that economics are complicated and trends can't be pinned down to a single person, factor, or climate that will automatically produce perfect success for every human being on the planet.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I know they weren't stellar to start with, but I'm guessing that Roland-Emmerich-movie-sized hurricane and the continuing lack of clean water or power in major areas, including the stuff needed to keep their medical supply factors functioning, aren't exactly doing Puerto Rico any favors.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville