Far-right violent attacks doubled between 2016 and 2017

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Far-right violent attacks doubled between 2016 and 2017

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/10/ ... ges-936274

here's this
chanting "lock her up!" about his political opponents
offerign to pay legal fees for people who commit violence at his rallies
spawning the whole "Obama is an illegal sekret muslim immigrant" conspiracy

Your stubborn insistence and refusal to see what is dangling in front of your face makes it really hard to believe that you are arguing in good faith.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

TGLS wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:01 am Well you can't argue with facts.
I personally haven't looked into this and I'm not saying this particular story is inaccurate, but facts are manipulated all the time.

How do you define a hate crime? What exactly makes it right wing? What makes it left wing? Are these definitions uniform are reported the same way across all areas? How do we know that, with increased exposure, hate crimes aren't simply being identified and reported more readily?

People tend to take numbers as authoritative, but they're only worthwhile if you have enough accurate information properly framed and interpreted.
The owls are not what they seem.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I mean, Trump was the one to start the whole "Obama is a secret Muslim" conspiracy. Fuzzy's right about that. But it gets a few assumptions wrong. The first and most obvious is that a Muslim President... well, that there's somehow something wrong with that? If they're a natural-born citizen, then there's nothing wrong with that except racism and prejudice. Second would be that it's pure conspiracy. Third is that even when Obama provided his birth certificate, something no other sitting President has ever been forced to do, then they just insisted that it's fake. Really. And lo and behold, Obama wasn't a secret Muslim who sold us out to the terrorists. They were wrong.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:37 pm I mean, Trump was the one to start the whole "Obama is a secret Muslim" conspiracy. Fuzzy's right about that. But it gets a few assumptions wrong. The first and most obvious is that a Muslim President... well, that there's somehow something wrong with that? If they're a natural-born citizen, then there's nothing wrong with that except racism and prejudice. Second would be that it's pure conspiracy. Third is that even when Obama provided his birth certificate, something no other sitting President has ever been forced to do, then they just insisted that it's fake. Really. And lo and behold, Obama wasn't a secret Muslim who sold us out to the terrorists. They were wrong.
Considering how barbaric Islam is it's perfectly reasonable that he should not be president with certain beliefs. I would not want a Chritian showing up from from 15th century to run the United States.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

ChiggyvonRichthofen wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:19 pm
TGLS wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:01 am Well you can't argue with facts.
I personally haven't looked into this and I'm not saying this particular story is inaccurate,
Hey man, don't let that stop you from barreling in without a scrap of knowledge or context! I'm sure the devil needs lots of advocates!
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Oh yeah, just reminding everyone: Slash is a totally blatant Islamophobe, please ignore everything he says.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:34 am
Worffan101 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:55 am
Darth Wedgius wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:42 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:52 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:04 pm
That tacit encouragement happens to be something you've got to read between the lines for, I take it?
How about you read what the man says on his twitter feed for a start? Like, actually read it, and watch his rallies, and take note of the many words coming out of his fat gob. I know it's not exactly easy to get through without some pepto-bismol and a stiff drink, but maybe if you could be bothered to apply a fraction of your attention and a few crumbs of active listening other people wouldn't have to spoon-feed you their hot takes on the hateful rhetoric he's been spewing non-stop since before he took office. As it is, I really feel like effort on my part would be wasted because when I point to anything short of the man dancing naked on the washington monument with "GO FORTH MY MINIONS AND KILL THE BROWN INVADERS" tattooed on his nutsack would be responded to with an accusation of self-proclaimed mind-reading powers.
So, "sure, lots of evidence, go find it yourself"....
This argument kind of loses a lot of weight when the President is openly calling Nazis "very fine people" and using '30s-style racist stereotypes in his xenophobic rants, Darth. You don't have to work to find evidence of Trump being awful, just wait for him to open his mouth.
He never called Nazis "very fine people." He said there were very fine people on both sides of a particular disagreement, some people on one side were Nazis, and some on the left decided those were the ones Trump meant.

If you can't point out xenophobia or 30s-style racist stereotypes, or if those are also as much assumptions on your part as the very-fine-Nazis assumption, then I think I have my answer.
Dude, he could literally hail Hitler and you'd rush to his defense with how it's just "ironic" or something.

His rants against the 'migrant caravan' are laden with '30s-era "they're coming for our wimminz!" tropes like overemphasizing how many "strong young men" are allegedly part of this 'caravan' as it that were a bad thing. He very much did call the Nazis very fine people, and the Nazis themselves went and bragged about it--just look at what Richard Spencer said about it afterwards. He accused Mexican immigrants of being "criminals and rapists" when in real life immigrants are by FAR the LEAST likely demographic to commit crimes. He failed to mention, on Holocaust Remembrance Day, that Jews were the primary victims of the fucking Holocaust.

Trump is a fucking racist, Darth, and your attempts to obfuscate that are pathetic as all Hell.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

And let's be clear here. I know many Muslims, men and women, in my own city and my own building who'd make far better presidents than that freakshow we have in office. Hell, it's bad when even Fox News is trying to calm down their viewers who are so deathly paranoid the rapist hordes are about to smash through the border! And the thing about American Muslims, even my own right-wing friends on Discord would admit that's because they've "assimilated" better here than those overseas. And if they're natural-born citizens who have assimilated well, then they have every right to run for office. And this assumes all Muslims are brown-skinned foreigners too, when they can be white! So there you go.

Let's also be realistic and concede that, yes, in the 1930s and 1940s, there really were whole armies of bestial young men with no respect for females drunk on their own lust to murder and inflict pain on others coming for other people's "wimminz" and small, helpless girls. That would be the Japanese, the Nazis, and the Soviets, of course. Nuff said. Or the women who tagged along and just stood there and watched and laughed like sadistic freaks as those animals had their way with their victims even as they begged them for help. Of course, times have changed, but we're never that far removed from our barbaric past. Civilization breaks down, that could easily happen again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMssTJbXs78
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:56 am https://www.politico.com/story/2018/10/ ... ges-936274

here's this
chanting "lock her up!" about his political opponents
offerign to pay legal fees for people who commit violence at his rallies
spawning the whole "Obama is an illegal sekret muslim immigrant" conspiracy

Your stubborn insistence and refusal to see what is dangling in front of your face makes it really hard to believe that you are arguing in good faith.
Lock her up for a political opponent he suspected committed a crime, yes? And offering to pay legal fees for those committing violence to stop assaults (throwing tomatoes). As far as what you believe about me arguing in good faith or not, I'm OK with that.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:45 pm Oh yeah, just reminding everyone: Slash is a totally blatant Islamophobe, please ignore everything he says.
You got a problem with general religionphobia? Why?
Yukaphile wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:36 pm And let's be clear here. I know many Muslims, men and women, in my own city and my own building who'd make far better presidents than that freakshow we have in office. Hell, it's bad when even Fox News is trying to calm down their viewers who are so deathly paranoid the rapist hordes are about to smash through the border! And the thing about American Muslims, even my own right-wing friends on Discord would admit that's because they've "assimilated" better here than those overseas. And if they're natural-born citizens who have assimilated well, then they have every right to run for office. And this assumes all Muslims are brown-skinned foreigners too, when they can be white! So there you go.

Let's also be realistic and concede that, yes, in the 1930s and 1940s, there really were whole armies of bestial young men with no respect for females drunk on their own lust to murder and inflict pain on others coming for other people's "wimminz" and small, helpless girls. That would be the Japanese, the Nazis, and the Soviets, of course. Nuff said. Or the women who tagged along and just stood there and watched and laughed like sadistic freaks as those animals had their way with their victims even as they begged them for help. Of course, times have changed, but we're never that far removed from our barbaric past. Civilization breaks down, that could easily happen again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMssTJbXs78
Better than Trump according to you is not exaclty a glowing endorsement for a Muslim US president.