Tim Sweeny says to get dem poltiks out his games!

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Antiboyscout
Captain

Re: Tim Sweeny says to get dem poltiks out his games!

Post by Antiboyscout »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:58 pm
Antiboyscout wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:18 pm
OR, It's because you agree with the politics in question

Never is it an honest exploration of the politics in question. When has progressive ideology been painted in a negative light or even in shades of gray?
Well, there aren't too many games that are about Medicare for all, Unionization, the minimum wage, universal suffrage, or whatever else you may qualify as progressive.

I guess you could say, environmentalism is a big part of games, but a lot of that depends on magic versus technology as a metaphor and in the real world magic isn't real, so the literal-ness of many environmental messages falls flat and you have to think in terms of the bad guys being metaphors for climate change and magic in terms of renewable/sustainable development. But even then, most of the time the metaphor involves using violence to win the argument.

I guess you could look at games like "Stardew Valley" but that isn't a commune, it is still a capitalist game, it just looks down on corporations sucking the life out of people.

Most games are conflict based and the use of fire arms or strength is often the deciding factor on defeating the bad guy.

I don't know if you would qualify that as inherently Progressive, but I don't.

I would argue the overwhelming amount of games out there tilt toward points 11 and 12 of fascism rather than anything related to Progressive politics.
http://www.openculture.com/2016/11/umberto-eco-makes-a-list-of-the-14-common-features-of-fascism.html
Out of place minority inclusion often involving literal revisionist history in order to appeal to modernist inclusivity and diversity pushes, and of course painting them as inherently good things.

Why wouldn't you assume Stardew Valley is an environmentalist game. They literally label the corporate cola trash that can be fished out of the rivers.

Do you not consider Anti-Fa and the concept of the 'workers revolution' as progressive?
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

Antiboyscout wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:47 pm Out of place minority inclusion often involving literal revisionist history in order to appeal to modernist inclusivity and diversity pushes, and of course painting them as inherently good things.

Why wouldn't you assume Stardew Valley is an environmentalist game. They literally label the corporate cola trash that can be fished out of the rivers.

Do you not consider Anti-Fa and the concept of the 'workers revolution' as progressive?
I don't know what minority inclusion you are pointing to. Expanding or contracting the presence of minorities to show an idealized past is common in historical fiction especially if you want to market that to the public. If the game makers want that and consider it a selling point, that is again capitalism.
Besides, it is all historical fiction, they are allowed to make things askew from reality if they wish.

I did point to "Stardew Valley" as environmentalism... but in the context of a capitalist system. Again it is not a commune. You still work to tame and categorize natural elements for profit. The presence of powerful corporations pushing inferior junk and ruining your experience... Well I guess that is pretty progressive, it could also be seen as a commentary on how it is an independent game not a company like EA selling micro-transaction junk.

I am a little curious as to what video game has Antifa in it. "Wolfenstein" is the first one that comes to mind?

I guess it depends on what you consider progressive. To me, progressive values fall outside of make believe war and make believe conflict, they have to do with exploration, sustainability, and constructing a civilization bent toward learning and peace.

If progressive values are only defined as "opposing fascism" or "opposing conservatism" then yeah, I can see how you could try to frame some games as progressive.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Antifa supposedly dates the alt-right, and is supposed to be as old as the EU or something. It's a loose ideology that doesn't have any kind of established organization. You can say it's on the side of progressives, but it's practically fair to say that it's mostly by proxy considering they are targeting very specific things like Trump and nazis.

Technically you can "say" the same thing about actual racists on the right. It's the same field of associative parameters that people don't necessarily care to vie with (though I wouldn't compare them in nature of offense, by tantamount or quality). Though of course some do, I often see it as an appeal to antifascism as an ideology more than a direct consideration of the more abrupt demonstrations they've put forth.
..What mirror universe?
AlucardNoir
Officer

Post by AlucardNoir »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:46 pm I don't know what minority inclusion you are pointing to. Expanding or contracting the presence of minorities to show an idealized past is common in historical fiction especially if you want to market that to the public. If the game makers want that and consider it a selling point, that is again capitalism.
Besides, it is all historical fiction, they are allowed to make things askew from reality if they wish.

I did point to "Stardew Valley" as environmentalism... but in the context of a capitalist system. Again it is not a commune. You still work to tame and categorize natural elements for profit. The presence of powerful corporations pushing inferior junk and ruining your experience... Well I guess that is pretty progressive, it could also be seen as a commentary on how it is an independent game not a company like EA selling micro-transaction junk.

I am a little curious as to what video game has Antifa in it. "Wolfenstein" is the first one that comes to mind?

I guess it depends on what you consider progressive. To me, progressive values fall outside of make believe war and make believe conflict, they have to do with exploration, sustainability, and constructing a civilization bent toward learning and peace.

If progressive values are only defined as "opposing fascism" or "opposing conservatism" then yeah, I can see how you could try to frame some games as progressive.
As he said, you don't have a problem with the inclusion of politics because as your post here shows you agree with it. You think people equate "opposing fascism" to "opposing conservatism" yet you yourself equate progressivism with communism.

You are OK with historical revisionism, while one of the main problems of political inclusion is the games media attack on historical accuracy. As exemplified by the many attacks game reviewers levied against Kingdom Come: Deliverance and the many articles that condemned historical games as excuses for racism fallowing it's launch and success.

You bring up Wolfenstein as an example of "pregressivism" in order to build your strawman that "opposing fascism" equated "opposing conservatism". The only people that had a voice condemning Wolfenstein back in the 90's did so because they thought it was too insensitive towards a serious topic. Nobody was listening to any neo nazi complain their precious NAZIs were getting slaughtered and nobody does so today. The only games in that series that have ever been attacked as being "too" progressive were the latest Bethesda games that made the character behave like SJW caricatures, or Twitter SJWs, or Tumbler SJWs.
If Chuck or a mod reads this feel free do delete my account. I would do it myself but I don't seem to be able to find a delete account option. phpBB should have such an option but I guess this isn't stock phpBB.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:46 pmI guess it depends on what you consider progressive. To me, progressive values fall outside of make believe war and make believe conflict, they have to do with exploration, sustainability, and constructing a civilization bent toward learning and peace.
Progressivism is specifically a reform of undue social inequalities.
..What mirror universe?
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

AlucardNoir wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:33 am As he said, you don't have a problem with the inclusion of politics because as your post here shows you agree with it. You think people equate "opposing fascism" to "opposing conservatism" yet you yourself equate progressivism with communism.
I don't equate them. I am trying to illustrate a spectrum.
See, I acknowledge environmentalism as a progressive value, and that you could contextualize "Stardew Valley" as an environmental game.
But, it is also a capitalist game, you are there to exploit/tame nature for profit, because that is contextualized as a more fulfilling way of life.
But it also criticizes capitalism.

So is it Progressive? Are there no conservatives that think making a living on a family farm is an ideal existence? From that perspective it could be seen as a really Conservative game, a return to a prelapsarian vision of ideal living.
AlucardNoir wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:33 am You are OK with historical revisionism, while one of the main problems of political inclusion is the games media attack on historical accuracy. As exemplified by the many attacks game reviewers levied against Kingdom Come: Deliverance and the many articles that condemned historical games as excuses for racism fallowing it's launch and success.
I don't know what games media you are referring to with revisionist history. If this is about Call of Duty, I haven't played them since CoD4: Modern Warfare, because from what my brother tells me, their worldviews became fucking bonkers.
From what I remember about Kingdom Come: Deliverance, the game is not racist, the player base was. The game's discussion boards were loaded with weird Deus Vult BS and the developers were just not bothering to police that shit on their platform because being a small developer they did not want to turn money away... and as a result they got labeled as condoning it... which they were.
AlucardNoir wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:33 am You bring up Wolfenstein as an example of "pregressivism" in order to build your strawman that "opposing fascism" equated "opposing conservatism". The only people that had a voice condemning Wolfenstein back in the 90's did so because they thought it was too insensitive towards a serious topic. Nobody was listening to any neo nazi complain their precious NAZIs were getting slaughtered and nobody does so today. The only games in that series that have ever been attacked as being "too" progressive were the latest Bethesda games that made the character behave like SJW caricatures, or Twitter SJWs, or Tumbler SJWs.
Strawman?
I brought up Wolfenstein as an example of antifa, because you kill fascists in it.
Not Progressive politics.

Again my position was:
Rocketboy1313 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:46 pm I guess it depends on what you consider progressive. To me, progressive values fall outside of make believe war and make believe conflict, they have to do with exploration, sustainability, and constructing a civilization bent toward learning and peace.

I don't know the history of games media reviewers, so I don't know or care about the 90's reviews, and from what I understand about the modern games they are still about killing Nazis, I don't know what SJW things you are complaining about, again I don't play them. But if your position is that a game about killing Nazis can be apolitical, I am deeply confused by your worldview.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:56 am
Rocketboy1313 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:46 pmI guess it depends on what you consider progressive. To me, progressive values fall outside of make believe war and make believe conflict, they have to do with exploration, sustainability, and constructing a civilization bent toward learning and peace.
According to Google it is, "support for or advocacy of social reform."

But like I said, "To me..."
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:23 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:56 am
According to Google it is, "support for or advocacy of social reform."

But like I said, "To me..."
Well like I think my interpretation is a bit more precise is all. All those things you listed are just coinciding facets.
..What mirror universe?
AlucardNoir
Officer

Post by AlucardNoir »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:21 am I don't know the history of games media reviewers, so I don't know or care about the 90's reviews, and from what I understand about the modern games they are still about killing Nazis, I don't know what SJW things you are complaining about, again I don't play them. But if your position is that a game about killing Nazis can be apolitical, I am deeply confused by your worldview.
In other words you're making literal use of the straw man fallacy while hiding behind your ignorance on the subject as an excuse.
If Chuck or a mod reads this feel free do delete my account. I would do it myself but I don't seem to be able to find a delete account option. phpBB should have such an option but I guess this isn't stock phpBB.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

I'm interested in seeing what game has Antifa in it. Liberal Crime Squad, though that's satire.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu