Facebook's down... Like completely... Globally...

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Facebook's down... Like completely... Globally...

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I guess that true.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Frustration wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:22 pm You pretty much have to have a written list of passwords and logins, given the number of sites that want them. Otherwise you'd be stuck repeating the limited number of complex passwords that can be reliably retained in personal memory, and then the sites on which you'd repeated them would be vulnerable when one was broken.
My Mom had a good idea by keeping the list of passwords and usernames on a piece of paper and hiding it somewhere in the house. Let's say, you woukd have to spend a lot of time in that house looking for it.

Me? I use the more or less the same password but changed around with different numbers and changed letters.
I got nothing to say here.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

McAvoy wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:42 am
Frustration wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:22 pm You pretty much have to have a written list of passwords and logins, given the number of sites that want them. Otherwise you'd be stuck repeating the limited number of complex passwords that can be reliably retained in personal memory, and then the sites on which you'd repeated them would be vulnerable when one was broken.
My Mom had a good idea by keeping the list of passwords and usernames on a piece of paper and hiding it somewhere in the house. Let's say, you woukd have to spend a lot of time in that house looking for it.

Me? I use the more or less the same password but changed around with different numbers and changed letters.
She put them "Some where safe"?
My family does that. Heck I have done that. Best way to never find something.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Nealithi wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:48 am
McAvoy wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:42 am

She put them "Some where safe"?
My family does that. Heck I have done that. Best way to never find something.
Oh she knows where it is. I know where it is. It's a pretty simple hiding spot too.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Frustration wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:20 pm There's nothing wrong with the profit motive. What's important is to ensure that it's user satisfaction, not dissatisfaction, that's profitable.
Seriously? No caveat or conditions to that?

If you're a monopoly, user satisfaction doesn't matter. If you can force people to use your product because it's an industry standard, user satisfaction doesn't matter. If your product is the only one affordable to the people, user satisfaction doesn't matter. If you have fat government contracts, user satisfaction doesn't matter. There are all sorts of ways to get around the pesky little issue of "Is it a good product?" or even "does it work at all?".

Also like...there's a lot of profit motive based decisions that are hugely unethical for reasons unrelated to user satisfaction.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:12 am
Frustration wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:20 pm There's nothing wrong with the profit motive. What's important is to ensure that it's user satisfaction, not dissatisfaction, that's profitable.
Seriously? No caveat or conditions to that?

If you're a monopoly, user satisfaction doesn't matter. If you can force people to use your product because it's an industry standard, user satisfaction doesn't matter. If your product is the only one affordable to the people, user satisfaction doesn't matter. If you have fat government contracts, user satisfaction doesn't matter. There are all sorts of ways to get around the pesky little issue of "Is it a good product?" or even "does it work at all?".

Also like...there's a lot of profit motive based decisions that are hugely unethical for reasons unrelated to user satisfaction.
Oddly I am finding I kinda agree here. Ma Bell had a monopoly on the phone service. My grandfather worked for them and he was not happy with the break up. And initially neither were my parents. Since all the new companies got to use the lines the remnant of Bell had to maintain. But with the break up companies had to compete for customers and they had to do so with innovation or lower costs. Or at least the appearance of lower costs.
On the first part the nice house (I call it nice others may not be so kind) I live in we had a good Ma Bell telephone. Heavy with a heavy cord and to replace it required someone from Ma Bell to come replace it for you. Shortly after we could get more decorative phones. Lighter phones and gasp, push button phones. We still have the old land line. Mostly because it has been to this house since 1964. But the 'old' phone being used would be unrecognizable to us in 1980.
On the cheaper side. I do have an anecdote, big surprise. My aunt called AT&T to cancel because Sprint's ten cents a minute was too good to pass up. The person on the phone with her. "Okay. But you are paying less than that now." Turns out it wasn't easy to see. But she was only paying eight cents a minute. But Sprint made their deal sound good.
So yeah breaking a monopoly does seem good. If the broken monopoly serves a purpose. Later Microsoft was to be hit with anti-monopoly standards and they had to prove they were not a monopoly. And some of the idiocy tossed on them was pretty stupid. Okay so Windows can't bundle a word processor, spell checker, and internet browser? That is like saying Ford may not put a stereo or AC in their cars because it hurts competition.

Government contracts I am more vague on. I mean for things like aircraft they hold competitions to see who comes up with a better design. Now sometimes the better design is the one that had less issues during the trials. But not the plane that is easier to build. But that can be said for any test. If an over engineered Ford can do all the road tests the day it arrives. But Chevy has to take the bumpers off to do hill climbs then Chevy kinda loses. Even if they did have the more reliable vehicle.

I cannot address your third point without clarification. What did you mean by, there's a lot of profit motive based decisions that are hugely unethical for reasons unrelated to user satisfaction.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:12 am If you're a monopoly, user satisfaction doesn't matter.
See the famous example of "Ma Bell" for a refutation of that argument. Although it's really not necessary - your argument would hold water only if the users' survival depended on the monopoly's service or product.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

This thread keeps getting me offguard. How completely down is/was Facebook? I never noticed anything.
Power laces... alright.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:09 am This thread keeps getting me offguard. How completely down is/was Facebook? I never noticed anything.
No new posts and it stayed frozen for several hours. So you would see the same exact posts during that time. Or at least that's how it looked to me.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:09 am This thread keeps getting me offguard. How completely down is/was Facebook? I never noticed anything.
For about six hours, any attempts to access anything tied to Facebook's systems (Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram, Login with Facebook, they're own internal door locks...) returned a connection error or a 404 page. Given that most of the planet uses one of those three apps in some capacity multiple times a days...