Yet Another School Shooting in America

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
sayla0079
Captain

Re: Yet Another School Shooting in America

Post by sayla0079 »

you have got to be !@#$%^& kidding me, this happens and they still act petty.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/senate-gop-b ... 26802.html
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

AP is reporting that armed police were on the scene for at least 40 minutes before actually going in, and instead of making any attempt to save the children they just kept concerned parents from attempting it themselves.

edit: rant deleted.

https://apnews.com/article/uvalde-texas ... 83df6e4683
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

I feel that every single officer involved with this response should be tried for capital murder and receive lethal injection as the response was so disastrous as to make them all active accomplices to the murder. Having literally no police response would have been better
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

pilight wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:21 pm Lots of people think there's some easy political panacea that will prevent this from happening again but there's not. It's a complicated problem involving many deep rooted cultural beliefs. It can't be solved by a simple pen stroke.
There are lots of solutions, but only one party is interested in offering up more than thoughts and prayers, because the NRA owns their souls.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Draco Dracul wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:19 pm I feel that every single officer involved with this response should be tried for capital murder and receive lethal injection as the response was so disastrous as to make them all active accomplices to the murder. Having literally no police response would have been better
What's frustrating is that you will still find bootlickers coming to the defense of the officers in question.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Frustration wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:55 pm School shootings go back to the earliest days of America.
Source? This is the first I've heard of it.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:08 pm
Frustration wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:55 pm School shootings go back to the earliest days of America.
Source? This is the first I've heard of it.
Wikipedia has a list going back to mid nineteenth century. Lots of attacks with one or two dead. Some as many as 6 or 7. First on this kind of scale was Columbine in 1998.

There was a bombing in 1927 killed a lot of people.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

pilight wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:21 pm Lots of people think there's some easy political panacea that will prevent this from happening again but there's not. It's a complicated problem involving many deep rooted cultural beliefs. It can't be solved by a simple pen stroke.
I'm not really sure as to how pertinent this is supposed to be. The root cause for concern is stopping such acts of gun violence, and not trying to make people's lives more difficult by furthering people from guns to some capacity by use of inert regulation.

I understand both the social and political complexity of the matter, each of them in consideration complicated by the other. I don't ever hear anything on the right about the issue of school shootings; I'm mostly familiar with people taking a reactionary stance to the progressives themselves. I personally agree that there's no burden of responsibility that gun owners/advocates have for arguing on behalf of the second amendment, but that tends to be the only discourse that takes place on the matter.

Like the specific issue of school shootings shouldn't be reciprocated by an ulterior/blunt response of fundamental individualism which gun rights entail. So I mean like yeah, I think there's room to not scratch at the 2nd amendment in that case, but I guess it turns the fire up under the water or something.
..What mirror universe? ;/
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:40 am
I'm not really sure as to how pertinent this is supposed to be. The root cause for concern is stopping such acts of gun violence, and not trying to make people's lives more difficult by furthering people from guns to some capacity by use of inert regulation.

I understand both the social and political complexity of the matter, each of them in consideration complicated by the other. I don't ever hear anything on the right about the issue of school shootings; I'm mostly familiar with people taking a reactionary stance to the progressives themselves. I personally agree that there's no burden of responsibility that gun owners/advocates have for arguing on behalf of the second amendment, but that tends to be the only discourse that takes place on the matter.

Like the specific issue of school shootings shouldn't be reciprocated by an ulterior/blunt response of fundamental individualism which gun rights entail. So I mean like yeah, I think there's room to not scratch at the 2nd amendment in that case, but I guess it turns the fire up under the water or something.
One of the main arguments about these shootings from the right is its a not a gun issue but a mental health issue. As far as I know there hasn't been even a attempt to address this in any form by the right though.
I got nothing to say here.