Both sides are bad....

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Re: Both sides are bad....

Post by Karha of Honor »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Oh. I'm surprised you haven't see the picture. Its been plastered all over the news the last couple days. Which strikes me as kind of strange, now that I think about it. I mean, I suppose its good to have the proof out there, but I wonder how the victim feels about a few million more people seeing an image of them being degraded. Unless she wants it out there as evidence, of course.

But if verbal confirmation "doesn't work", what would work better? Verbal confirmation is sure as hell less likely to lead to "misunderstandings" (or deliberate exploitation) than "I thought they looked/sounded like they wanted it."

I mean, why is it such a huge burden to get to know someone, and then ask them what they're comfortable with? Why is that such a huge burden, such a great injustice, that you feel that it is better to risk violating someone? Or perhaps I should ask why you feel that this is such a burden that imposing it is a greater injustice than assuming consent is to the victims?

And if you say it won't work, then why do you say it won't work? Justify your position, or concede that it is motivated by selfishness and inertia, nothing more.

Edit: And I'd define the Alt-Right, or Alt-Reich, as, I suppose "A loose affiliation of reactionary Right-wing factions and ideologies, generally motivated by hostility to the status quo, fear and hatred of an "other" who is blamed for said status quo, and a misplaced sense of persecution."
You want one for every step? Why not record everything and write a contract?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urS8GmwmeWQ
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Agent Vinod wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Oh. I'm surprised you haven't see the picture. Its been plastered all over the news the last couple days. Which strikes me as kind of strange, now that I think about it. I mean, I suppose its good to have the proof out there, but I wonder how the victim feels about a few million more people seeing an image of them being degraded. Unless she wants it out there as evidence, of course.

But if verbal confirmation "doesn't work", what would work better? Verbal confirmation is sure as hell less likely to lead to "misunderstandings" (or deliberate exploitation) than "I thought they looked/sounded like they wanted it."

I mean, why is it such a huge burden to get to know someone, and then ask them what they're comfortable with? Why is that such a huge burden, such a great injustice, that you feel that it is better to risk violating someone? Or perhaps I should ask why you feel that this is such a burden that imposing it is a greater injustice than assuming consent is to the victims?

And if you say it won't work, then why do you say it won't work? Justify your position, or concede that it is motivated by selfishness and inertia, nothing more.

Edit: And I'd define the Alt-Right, or Alt-Reich, as, I suppose "A loose affiliation of reactionary Right-wing factions and ideologies, generally motivated by hostility to the status quo, fear and hatred of an "other" who is blamed for said status quo, and a misplaced sense of persecution."

What is so hard about asking "may I squeeze your boobs" before squeezing a stranger's tits?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote:

What is so hard about asking "may I squeeze your boobs" before squeezing a stranger's tits?
Ruins the moment. I guess you want mass prostitution with 0 real flirting.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Ruins the moment WITH A STRANGER?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Agent Vinod wrote:
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote:

Ruins the moment. I guess you want mass prostitution with 0 real flirting.
Try to imagine how you would feel if we were both, say, watching a movie or dining at a cafe. We're laughing at a shared joke, and I decide to slide my hand down your pants because asking to see if I was getting the right signals would "ruin the mood".
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:Ruins the moment WITH A STRANGER?
It could ruin the moment even with a hooker that is into his john. People do not work like that.

kind of strange, now that I think about it. I mean, I suppose its good to have the proof out there, but I wonder how the victim feels about a few million more people seeing an image of them being degraded. Unless she wants it out there as evidence, of course.

Edit: And I'd define the Alt-Right, or Alt-Reich, as, I suppose "A loose affiliation of reactionary Right-wing factions and ideologies, generally motivated by hostility to the status quo, fear and hatred of an "other" who is blamed for said status quo, and a misplaced sense of persecution."[/quote]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urS8GmwmeWQ[/quote]

What is so hard about asking "may I squeeze your boobs" before squeezing a stranger's tits?[/quote]
Ruins the moment. I guess you want mass prostitution with 0 real flirting.[/quote]

Try to imagine how you would feel if we were both, say, watching a movie or dining at a cafe. We're laughing at a shared joke, and I decide to slide my hand down your pants because asking to see if I was getting the right signals would "ruin the mood".[/quote]

I am a male i doubt it would register the same way as if i was a women. I cannot answer.
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:Ruins the moment WITH A STRANGER?
Yes.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Agent Vinod wrote:I mean, why is it such a huge burden to get to know someone, and then ask them what they're comfortable with? Why is that such a huge burden, such a great injustice, that you feel that it is better to risk violating someone? Or perhaps I should ask why you feel that this is such a burden that imposing it is a greater injustice than assuming consent is to the victims?
It's not a burden, it's pretending that body language does not exist, which is stupid. A lot of things can be said and need to be said without words. Have you ever done anything romantic for a woman or man? If yes, did you ask for consent? No? Why not?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Agent Vinod wrote:

Reductio ad absurdum fallacy.
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Madner Kami wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote:I mean, why is it such a huge burden to get to know someone, and then ask them what they're comfortable with? Why is that such a huge burden, such a great injustice, that you feel that it is better to risk violating someone? Or perhaps I should ask why you feel that this is such a burden that imposing it is a greater injustice than assuming consent is to the victims?
It's not a burden, it's pretending that body language does not exist, which is stupid. A lot of things can be said and need to be said without words. Have you ever done anything romantic for a woman or man? If yes, did you ask for consent? No? Why not?
1. This is me you're quoting, not Agent Vinod.

2. You are misrepresenting my argument. Of course I'm not denying that body language exists, or that it plays a role in sexual relations (this is another example of reduction ad absurdum, I'd say). Do I expect a couple in a relationship to ask permission for every romantic act? Of course not. And since I'm pretty sure that nothing I said would reasonably lead to that conclusion, I can only conclude that you and Agent Vinod are most likely deliberately straw-manning me to avoid addressing my actual point, or else reacting with knee-jerk hostility rather than responding to what I am actually saying. Which is that you should not initiate a sexual act, or come on to/make romantic or sexual advances towards someone you do not know well or are not in an established relationship with, without taking the time to clarify that you and they are on the same page.

And if you find that an undue burden, well, its a hell of a lot smaller a burden than being the victim of a sexual assault or harassment. Or than going to prison/being sued for sexual assault/harassment, come to that.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote:

Reductio ad absurdum fallacy.
We already went there with for example people calling the police on kids who can handle themselves in public alone...