Hamas Attacks Israel

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Hamas Attacks Israel

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:35 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:56 am Yeah, that's despicable.
So why do you defend them when arguing with clearspira?
I don't. I defend the human rights of Palestinians whom Israel is exterminating. Like Chuck said, you don't automatically become the good guys by opposing the bad guys. You become the good guys by trying not to do evil things. Hamas and Israel are both doing a lot of evil things.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:37 pm
I don't. I defend the human rights of Palestinians whom Israel is exterminating. Like Chuck said, you don't automatically become the good guys by opposing the bad guys. You become the good guys by trying not to do evil things. Hamas and Israel are both doing a lot of evil things.
The Israeli Military don't seem to be making much of a distinction between Hamas and the Palestinian people. Which is why I say 'Israel is flirting with fascism.' Whether they have crossed the line is open to debate, I think it's clear they are getting close.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

phantom000 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:54 pm
The Israeli Military don't seem to be making much of a distinction between Hamas and the Palestinian people. Which is why I say 'Israel is flirting with fascism.' Whether they have crossed the line is open to debate, I think it's clear they are getting close.
No political ideology is good or bad, it is merely how it is applied. Just as the gun is not automatically good or bad. In the right hands it is a tool of defence or liberation, in the wrong hands, it is the devil's right hand, used to oppress, to cause pain, to dominate.

To "flirt with fascism" is not automatically a bad thing. In fact, I would argue that a completely benevolent man with 100% of the power would create a better country for you and your family to live in than a democratic one that you have voted in that is full of incompetent tosspots. Surely "flirting with Donald Trump" should have demonstrated this.

Ultimately the problem with fascism is that there are no checks and balances on who comes next. An Augustus can become a Nero very quickly indeed.

TL;DR, what you meant to say here is, "Israel is flirting with negative fascism" and to that I agree. Israel has decided to drop an atom bomb upon the moral high ground by ending that ceasefire so quickly. I am not blind to this.

Speaking of Trump, I think Israel is going to be an anchor around Biden's neck at the next election. An objective analysis of this situation has led me to conclude Biden has let Israel get away with ten times more shit than Russia did with Ukraine before he sanctioned the former. There are double standards here. Biden is not a racist and i am not going to call him one... but nevertheless it does look bad that a country full of white people gets more sympathy from him than a country full of people with darker skin.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Facism is always bad. The notion that theoretically a benevolant leader could come up is, frankly, idiotic. Anyone who rises to power in such a system has a support-group of his own, which doesn't get where they are, by being nice people. That's not how humans or human societies work. Heck, it's bold enough to claim, that people would even vote someone into an office of dictator, who's a benevolent leader, over someone who promises them the heavens and the earth and predictably will neither deliver nor care for any of his promises.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

clearspira wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:05 pm
phantom000 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:54 pm
No political ideology is good or bad, it is merely how it is applied. Just as the gun is not automatically good or bad. In the right hands it is a tool of defence or liberation, in the wrong hands, it is the devil's right hand, used to oppress, to cause pain, to dominate.

To "flirt with fascism" is not automatically a bad thing. In fact, I would argue that a completely benevolent man with 100% of the power would create a better country for you and your family to live in than a democratic one that you have voted in that is full of incompetent tosspots. Surely "flirting with Donald Trump" should have demonstrated this.

Ultimately the problem with fascism is that there are no checks and balances on who comes next. An Augustus can become a Nero very quickly indeed.

TL;DR, what you meant to say here is, "Israel is flirting with negative fascism" and to that I agree. Israel has decided to drop an atom bomb upon the moral high ground by ending that ceasefire so quickly. I am not blind to this.

Speaking of Trump, I think Israel is going to be an anchor around Biden's neck at the next election. An objective analysis of this situation has led me to conclude Biden has let Israel get away with ten times more shit than Russia did with Ukraine before he sanctioned the former. There are double standards here. Biden is not a racist and i am not going to call him one... but nevertheless it does look bad that a country full of white people gets more sympathy from him than a country full of people with darker skin.

I heavily disagree with your argument because, as flawed as democracy very much is, how can one EVER argue one person is right 24/7? Even if Jesus Christ himself said he wanted to be in charge... well I'd ask why a carpenter would wanna run society but second, even I would balk at such an idea because power corrupts. Look at US senators, who are ELECTED into power and they go mad FAST with it. 92 year olds who refuse to let go of power. Now imagine a power structure built to make sure this person NEVER LEAVES, and it will ALWAYS go to their head. Kind fascism NEVER exists, because fascism is in the end, not a dictatorship. Fascism is a network to stay in power forever and CRUSH opposition. As in... anyone who doesn't BOW.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

There are no good guys in this fight
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

That why I chose not to stand with anyone.
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:18 am That why I chose not to stand with anyone.
Those children? Bad guys.

I GET WHAT YOU MEAN JUST HAD TO MAKE THE JOKE!
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

clearspira wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:05 pm
To "flirt with fascism" is not automatically a bad thing.
Yes it is. What the fuck, dude?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Road to hell is paved with good intentions. A Facist government with the leader doing things with the best intentions most likely will lead to that leader doing things that he thinks is good for society when in reality it isn't. Check and balances.

Besides do we even have an example of a 'good facist'?
I got nothing to say here.