Brexit Rambles

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Re: Brexit Rambles

Post by Karha of Honor »

PerrySimm wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:46 pm The EU is not making "an example" out of Britain. The consistent European position has been that
1) Britain is encouraged to change its mind and stay in the EU.
2) If Britain leaves the EU, then it is not in the EU!

Countries that are not in the EU have to negotiate and sign treaties to participate in those EU programs that are open to piecemeal participation. And it's not like the EU writes these treaties in a "take it or leave it" manner - everything in the EU system has always been pliable, negotiable, and subject to special consideration.

Britain's negotiations have had the benefit of this cushion of European diplomacy and a general willingness to work together toward tolerance, mutual understanding, and cooperation. But if the idea was ever seriously advanced that Britain would be able to write the entire script on its departure from the EU - that was foolish at best.
Yeah 2 Lisbon treaty votes...

Very flexible...
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

clearspira wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:26 pm *Sigh* Traitors in Parliament. Said it before, say it again: referendum or election coming - and I would not automatically assume Tory or Labour to dominate that election. Keep your eye on UKIP. I think they'll do an SNP and carve a nice wedge for themselves.
Well, the SNP do have the advantage of being located primarily in Scotland, while UKIP is all over Britain (Maxim 1: In FPTP, regional parties overperform). Add that UKIP will likely face competition from the Brexit Party, Labour and Tories may not be as disadvantaged (which would probably only be indicated if they held about the same number of pro-Brexit voters).
--
Here's a helpful diagram that explains "where next" https://jonworth.eu/brexit-where-now-the-flow-diagrams/
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Kicking the can down the road doesn't help anything.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Well, Britain wanted a Backstop, but didn't want the Backstop, so the EU agreed to a Backstop that isn't the Backstop, but still is a Backstop.

Honestly, I am amazed how readily and willingly the EU still takes the UK's bullshit at this point. I see the impact a NoDeal-BrExit would have on the EU economy, but I also see the damage this ongoing "Affentheater" (theater of apes, there is not really an english word that accurately translates what this means in german) is having on both the EU and UK. The UK needs to finally make a decission for what they want. They needed to do that 2 years ago already. An extension till october will not change the indecission and deadlock that the UK parliament is suffering from, thanks to the ongoing powerplay of literally every fucking politician on that damned island, at the cost of the people on both the island and the continent.
Last edited by Madner Kami on Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

UK did make a decision. Therese reMayn + Establishment + Parliament etc have been blocking that decision ever since. The whole Affentheater is different factions of remoaners squabbling among themselves.

UK never wanted Backstop, we voted Brexit. Brexstop is designed to stop Brexit ever happening. Even regular remainers thing Brexstop is way TOO remainy.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

They're just trying to work out a way to back out of it without being too obvious, I'm guessing. Parliament is packed with Remainers, and they took "no deal" off the table, with the full knowledge they'd never get a better deal that the serfdom the EU offered up as a "deal." At least they aren't dumb enough to vote for that. :roll:
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Did you see what that Korena troll posted in the other sections? Jeez, it's horrible. Why is this site such a target for them?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Pretty much all forums are. That's why I just closed registration on my board since it seemed pretty obvious I wasn't going to be getting any legit random new people.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

IIRC this only happened once on the Screwattack forums, and that was around September, 2015 - probably in revenge for GVS2.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords