Brexit Rambles

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Brexit Rambles

Post by Madner Kami »

After taking a Yukaish Detour, let's try to get this back on topic. I found this on Imgur.com:

Gave me a good laugh as it feels pretty accurate. Sigh. I miss Lord Buckethead.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

TGLS wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:30 pm
clearspira wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:26 pm *Sigh* Traitors in Parliament. Said it before, say it again: referendum or election coming - and I would not automatically assume Tory or Labour to dominate that election. Keep your eye on UKIP. I think they'll do an SNP and carve a nice wedge for themselves.
Well, the SNP do have the advantage of being located primarily in Scotland, while UKIP is all over Britain (Maxim 1: In FPTP, regional parties overperform). Add that UKIP will likely face competition from the Brexit Party, Labour and Tories may not be as disadvantaged (which would probably only be indicated if they held about the same number of pro-Brexit voters).
--
Here's a helpful diagram that explains "where next" https://jonworth.eu/brexit-where-now-the-flow-diagrams/
I suspect that the EU parliamentary elections, where as I understand it representation is proportional, will be a chance for the Brexit Party and UKIP to see who is the stronger horse while not actually spoiling each other. Whichever does the best will probably absorb the other before the next UK election (see Dutch Freedom Party vs. Forum for Democracy).
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
Cylus
Redshirt

Post by Cylus »

I feel bad about the people who are suffering or who will suffer the consequences of this, but the whole mess confirms that chaos provides great material for comedy.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:22 pm Image
The Federation probably only allows enlightenned immigrants in...
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Duuuuuuuuuude... they got the pic wrong! That should be 2267. Not 2387. It should be the Enterprise-E. Did the creator of the pic know anything about Trek past what he vaguely half-remembers from childhood nostalgia? SMH
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Well, there we go. The gift that keeps on giving, gave again. Theresa May finally resigned and this just one week before her re-"newed" Deal is set to be voted upon again. I haven't been following BrExit all too much in the last couple of weeks, so I am not sure on the implications, but last time I was watching, she offered resignation if her deal gets broad support from Labour, so I have to assume that this is linked and that her deal may actually get through this time, though I'd take that with a grain of salt.

The true beauty is the Diadochi-War that is now going to get really hot. I am genuinely sorry for her though, given she was tasked with the impossible, to do something that she was against, by the very same people who set light to the fuse of BrExit and then ran away like Zoidberg (the Futurama-character, not the Forum-member). Her starting to cry at the end of her speech was heart-wrenching, although I don't really feel she did the right things, because this woman got pushed around and tripped on every step of her way. She's truely defeated and I wish her the best, as well as the citizens of the UK, because right now, I don't really see any viable candidate with a broader appeal to replace her, as all the big names are a bunch of ultra-capitalist nationalists, power-hungry morons and completely unsymphathetic scare-mongers readying up for succession.
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Madner Kami wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:41 pm Well, there we go. The gift that keeps on giving, gave again. Theresa May finally resigned and this just one week before her re-"newed" Deal is set to be voted upon again. I haven't been following BrExit all too much in the last couple of weeks, so I am not sure on the implications, but last time I was watching, she offered resignation if her deal gets broad support from Labour, so I have to assume that this is linked and that her deal may actually get through this time, though I'd take that with a grain of salt.

The true beauty is the Diadochi-War that is now going to get really hot. I am genuinely sorry for her though, given she was tasked with the impossible, to do something that she was against, by the very same people who set light to the fuse of BrExit and then ran away like Zoidberg (the Futurama-character, not the Forum-member). Her starting to cry at the end of her speech was heart-wrenching, although I don't really feel she did the right things, because this woman got pushed around and tripped on every step of her way. She's truely defeated and I wish her the best, as well as the citizens of the UK, because right now, I don't really see any viable candidate with a broader appeal to replace her, as all the big names are a bunch of ultra-capitalist nationalists, power-hungry morons and completely unsymphathetic scare-mongers readying up for succession.
I'm not the Joker. I have never laughed at someone else's downfall or their tears - and anyone who did needs a good long look at themselves. But this woman has been a disaster for the country and her party, so much so that the conspiracy theories about how she was always intending to sacrifice herself to cripple Brexit are everywhere. At least she has proven magnificently that both men and women can make crap leaders.

As to her replacement, there are really two questions here: who SHOULD and who MUST replace her. Because who should replace her imo should be a moderate who can unite and compromise both sides of the House and begin to heal the country. Who must replace her however is Boris Johnson because right now there simply is not a moderate who has any popularity at all. If the Tories want to win the next election, or at least not lose horribly, then they did someone who can combat the charisma of Nigel Farage and Jeremy Corbyn. I think they will sign their own death warrant if anyone else becomes PM. Is it ironic that another right wing blonde guy with bad hair and questionable views is widely regarded to be on the way? Yes. Yes it is.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

I haven't paid attention that much, and my ignorance of the facts helpfully means I don't have much to go over before offering my conclusion. From what I can tell:
1) May was in a tough spot, with Brexit supposed to happen but with the EU and the UK immovably opposed as to the conditions.
2) Elections and polls suggest Brexit might happen after all.
3) If Emilia Clarke becomes the new PM, it might make more people happy than any other occupant of that position would.

I might be off on either of the first two, though.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

... was that a shot? That was a shot, wasn't it?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords