JK Rowling Backlash

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Re: JK Rowling Backlash

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Draco Dracul wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:27 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:45 pm
Draco Dracul wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:58 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:33 pm
Draco Dracul wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:13 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:31 pm
Draco Dracul wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:25 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:09 am
CmdrKing wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:04 am Well no shit. Fan sites and the stars of the Wizarding franchise have a vested interest in the franchise continuing to thrive, and that will quickly stop being true if the franchise about self-acceptance, embracing the misfits of society, and standing in the face of bigotry and fascism has an openly bigoted creator controlling it. Creating the perception of distance is a stopgap while people figure out if she can be disentangled from it.
But you said that it's OK to say discriminatory things if nobody gets hurt.
Nobody gets hurt and demeaning/delegitimizing trans people are things that very rarely go hand in hand.
She's not demeaning, she's saying that transwomen aren't biologically women. She's not arguing for transwomen having any inferior treatment at all AFAIK.
You can take that as delegitimizing if you want, and that's fine; you have the same right to your opinion that she does, and I'll defend your right to your opinion just as much. But if you can trace any violence to Rowling's opinion I'd be very much surprised. Impressed, too.
She literally came out in favor of not allowing trans women into the majority of domestic violence shelters.
I assume the ones that are women-only? I don't think that's calling for inferior treatment of trans-women there.

If you don't want men in those shelters, are you for inferior treatment of men? I'm not saying that trans-women are (or aren't) men (again, I think it's semantics), but that's not trying to get inferior treatment of trans-women unless men are getting inferior treatment too.

Arguably men are getting inferior treatment (I'm not saying they are or aren't), but I'll assume that's not your argument.
Banning trans women from women's shelters is massively transphobic and is out right saying that they are not women. While the horrific lack of men's shelters for domestic violence is a major issue, it's also irrelevant the issue at hand. In a world where men had domestically violence shelters of equal number and quality to women's shelters banning trans women into those shelters would result in inferior care because they would be specialized in helping with men's issues.
I'm going to leave aside the relative lack of domestic violence services for me, if that's OK with you. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you on it; it's just that that's a whole 'nuther can of worms.

How is it saying trans-women are not women? In all honesty, you could consider those shelters to be for biological women, couldn't you?

Look at it this way, if you would -- why are men kept out of women's domestic violence shelters? If the "It's ma'am" trans-woman of (perhaps not completely fair) YouTube infamy (I'm sure I can find it if you don't know who I mean) said she wanted into a shelter, would the biological women feel safer than if a man of the same size and strength were allowed in?

While it's true that some women are substantially bigger and/or stronger than others, the difference between biological women and trans-women is going to be pretty close to the difference between biological men and biological women unless hrt is being done, and even then the difference can be significant.
To be blunt if you allow that arguement it will not be long before you see certain shelters effectively putting blanket bans on black women who have historically been viewed as more masculine and less feminine than white or Asian women.
That's not only being blunt, but it's also using a slippery slope fallacy. I've seen your posts; you're generally intelligent, thoughtful, and honest. I think you're better than this particular argument.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

@kat_blaque
·
4h
JK Rowling is more powerful, famous and well known than probably all of the trans folks you've ever met, combined. Yet, she wants to frame herself as a person being bullied into feeling a certain way.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:59 pm
@kat_blaque
·
4h
JK Rowling is more powerful, famous and well known than probably all of the trans folks you've ever met, combined. Yet, she wants to frame herself as a person being bullied into feeling a certain way.
Caitlyn Jenner, all tho they haven't been in the spotlight as much any more. Likely do to Caitlyn going on twitter and having one too many conservative opinions.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

@RottenInDenmark
·
17h
One of the key elements of the "cancel culture" moral panic is the assertion that random people are being fired simply for stating politically incorrect opinions. Yet every time JK Rowling says something transphobic, thousands of people publicly support her without consequences.
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:41 pm
@RottenInDenmark
·
17h
One of the key elements of the "cancel culture" moral panic is the assertion that random people are being fired simply for stating politically incorrect opinions. Yet every time JK Rowling says something transphobic, thousands of people publicly support her without consequences.
Care to prove there are no consequences? How many have to support JK anonymously?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NViZYL-U8s0

youtu.be/NViZYL-U8s0
..What mirror universe?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

A short bird site thread: https://twitter.com/sacha_coward/status/1280415154291838977

And yeah, that's a nice sequel. Loved the first one.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I lol'ed when she talked about how people received the first one. In one of her other videos i mean.
..What mirror universe?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

@AbeGoldfarb
·
5h
“Woke culture is silencing dissident voices!!!”

- people whose voices i could only avoid by destroying my phone and living in a fucking bunker
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

It's great poking through that letter and realizing about half of the unnamed incidents they refer to are indeed TERF talking points, and one of the professional transphobes that signed the letter was probably the main author (my money would be on Singal).