JK Rowling Backlash

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Re: JK Rowling Backlash

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:59 pm
@kat_blaque
·
4h
JK Rowling is more powerful, famous and well known than probably all of the trans folks you've ever met, combined. Yet, she wants to frame herself as a person being bullied into feeling a certain way.
Logically, one does not contradict the other. Trans people have allies, do they not?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

@mattdpearce
·
12h
Open letter: The real cancel culture is hundreds of thousands of employers being able to cancel your job (and your healthcare) for any reason they want, including thinking wrong thoughts. That’s a long-standing labor policy consensus moreso than a new culture war. Signed, me.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:20 pm
@mattdpearce
·
12h
Open letter: The real cancel culture is hundreds of thousands of employers being able to cancel your job (and your healthcare) for any reason they want, including thinking wrong thoughts. That’s a long-standing labor policy consensus moreso than a new culture war. Signed, me.
And it was only wrong when the weapon was used by your enemies instead of yourself.

I see how it is
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Antiboyscout wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:12 pm
@mattdpearce
·
12h
And it was only wrong when the weapon was used by your enemies instead of yourself.

I see how it is
I that's why a long existing political weapon suddenly got a new name and a huge backlash, it started to be used on conservatives rather than just by them.
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

Draco Dracul wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:48 pm
@mattdpearce
·
12h

I see how it is
I that's why a long existing political weapon suddenly got a new name and a huge backlash, it started to be used on conservatives rather than just by them.
Pretty sure, getting fired for being black or a communist has been illegal since the 60's. The hatchet was buried. Why'd you have to go dig it up again?
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

People who get to complain about "cancel culture":

Sinead O'Connor
The [s]Dixie[/s] Chicks
Monica Lewinsky
Small-time Tumblr artist chased away for lewds

People who do not get to complain about "cancel culture":

Sex offenders
Bigots
Dipshits who print a call for executing civilians in the streets from a sitting senator without even fucking reading it
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

The difference is that the employers can fire you on a whim, whereas no amount of people saying "yeah she sucks" and deciding to stop buying Harry Potter merch will have the slightest effect on J K R's well-being.

One is "you can lose your audience and popularity for saying bad things", one is "you lose your job". It's that all the people complaining about the "dangers" of cancel culture have jack shit to say about people who get fired for complaining about their employers on off hours.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Antiboyscout wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:24 am
Draco Dracul wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:48 pm
@mattdpearce
·
12h

I see how it is
Pretty sure, getting fired for being black or a communist has been illegal since the 60's. The hatchet was buried. Why'd you have to go dig it up again?
One, you can still be fired for being a communist most places as political ideology is not a protected class. Two, that's not actually relevant as the kind of public shaming of celebrities to kill their careers was a thing when I was a kid back in the late 90s/early 2000s with the biggest example being The Dixie Chicks get drummed out of the music industry for over 15 years for calling Bush II a moron.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

CmdrKing wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:02 am People who get to complain about "cancel culture":

Sinead O'Connor
The [s]Dixie[/s] Chicks
Monica Lewinsky
Small-time Tumblr artist chased away for lewds

People who do not get to complain about "cancel culture":

Sex offenders
Bigots
Dipshits who print a call for executing civilians in the streets from a sitting senator without even fucking reading it
Since you've said that white men are evil, are you in the second group?
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:14 am The difference is that the employers can fire you on a whim, whereas no amount of people saying "yeah she sucks" and deciding to stop buying Harry Potter merch will have the slightest effect on J K R's well-being.

One is "you can lose your audience and popularity for saying bad things", one is "you lose your job". It's that all the people complaining about the "dangers" of cancel culture have jack shit to say about people who get fired for complaining about their employers on off hours.
Goya food boycott? Someone fired from Google for questioning their "diversity" policies?