Democratic Primary News Thread

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Democratic Primary News Thread

Post by Yukaphile »

:roll:
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

CmdrKing wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:13 pmThe question "how are we going to pay for it" is rhetorical bad faith. If you're asking that, it's because you just don't want to acknowledge the problem under discussion.

The secret is that the government, despite keeping track of numbers, does not actually have a budget it must adhere to. So in terms of legislation, deciding on a course of action, then finding means by which to make it work feasibly, including budget, later is the correct way to conduct things.
Bad faith is argueing, that you could just print the money to finance a different public insurance system. Inflation is a thing, you know.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Well I think the US is more in the habit of borrowing money via the fed and US bonds. Two different sides of the same coin as far as monetary issues, though inflation is much more controllable with open market operations.
Power laces... alright.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:04 am To play Devil's Advocate, Vox was heavily on Sanders' side in the 2016 primaries, to the point like most MSM, they didn't report on his scandals. As far as I know. So maybe you shouldn't trust them?
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/vox/
Power laces... alright.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Ah, bad faith in action. Thanks for volunteering.

So for example you would claim this:
Madner Kami wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:41 pm Bad faith is argueing, that you could just print the money to finance a different public insurance system. Inflation is a thing, you know.
Whilst quoting an argument that says
So in terms of legislation, deciding on a course of action, then finding means by which to make it work feasibly, including budget, later is the correct way to conduct things.
The entire scope of my statement is "no, we need single payer, so we draft legislation for that then as part of that process we allocate funds and raise new revenue as needed". The conservative response is to lie "if you just print money you're gonna cause inflation", as a means to prevent discussion of how to draft the legislation.

And we know it's bad faith and not merely ignorance because these discussions are muted and less public once "priorities" like inefficient military spending or corporate welfare are raised.

So if centrists have some solution to the problem besides "millions of people a year deserve to choose between inescapable debt and death due to our nation's shitty insurance system", by all means let them lay out proposals. But this cannot continue and pretending it can to spite the only ones proposing anything (which is very much what "Why not take a stand against [Sanders] and his voters?" is, spite) is going to get people killed.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Yeah I was gonna say, you make a decisive declaration at the end about us needing single payer. Government finds money pretty easily.

It is a pretty normative statement in that there are untold ramifications to doing this sort of thing, but I don't see funding as really an issue, and inflation isn't so much an inevitably dire circumstance.
Power laces... alright.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

So you link the Vox media fact-checker? LOL.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:13 pm So you link the Vox media fact-checker? LOL.
Yes I did.
Power laces... alright.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:04 am To play Devil's Advocate,
Hell is Full. The Devil has enough advocates. When you advocate for him, you speak with his forked tongue.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:30 pm:roll:
No, he's right. If you don't support single payer, you are saying "I'm okay with the more expensive-to-treat people and low-income diabetics dying. They are weak. "
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville