San Francisco to allow police 'killer robots'

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Frustration
Captain

Re: San Francisco to allow police 'killer robots'

Post by Frustration »

It's quite simple: people want the police to utterly prevent crime, and do it without tools of any kind.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:11 pm SWAT isn't considered police?
The idea, to my mind, would be that SWAT must be more separate from the police, and harder for traditional police to utilize resources from, before such easily-abused tools should be granted to SWAT. To be sure society, at least any foreseeable time into the future, does need something like SWAT to respond to certain kinds of major crimes, but the equipment and personnel of that organization needs to have a harder separation from standard police departments to maintain their proper function. Someone trained to deal with situations where someone will, more or less by definition, be shooting back is not well suited at all for situations where weapons should never be drawn. The skillset and mentality involved are extremely different with little overlap.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Frustration wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:38 pm It's quite simple: people want the police to utterly prevent crime, and do it without tools of any kind.
My guy we're literally talking about exploding murder robots. How the fuck are expliding murder robots useful for preventing crime?
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

It would help matters if you'd stop willfully indulging hysteria. The police are not developing "murder robots". There are plenty of aspects of the actual situation, stated neutrally instead of with loaded language, that are viable targets for criticism and concern. Why not talk about them?
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

And if these robots can stop crime wile eliminating the risk of the officers controlling them, why would you not want them used? Unless you just want dead cops.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

You know I was planning on making a joke you atleast we can have this conversation without you showing up, and this is why we can't have nice things.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Thebestoftherest wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:33 am You know I was planning on making a joke you atleast we can have this conversation without you showing up, and this is why we can't have nice things.
I just don't know if people are not on board with this, at least, in theory because I am assuming they don't want cops to actively put their lives at risk if they don't have to.
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:22 am And if these robots can stop crime wile eliminating the risk of the officers controlling them, why would you not want them used? Unless you just want dead cops.
Because of the high probability of them being used on people who aren't criminals plus the likelihood of collateral damage.

Given how often they get wrong addresses when serving no-knock warrants, I'd be very hesitant to use that same system to provide locations for explosive drone use.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

pilight wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:06 am
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:22 am And if these robots can stop crime wile eliminating the risk of the officers controlling them, why would you not want them used? Unless you just want dead cops.
Because of the high probability of them being used on people who aren't criminals plus the likelihood of collateral damage.

Given how often they get wrong addresses when serving no-knock warrants, I'd be very hesitant to use that same system to provide locations for explosive drone use.
I get that concern but why would a cop not be less likely to use the robots to kill if they obviously, won't fear for their lives wile operating it?
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

You've also got to consider malfunctions, where suddenly an explosive drone is flying around uncontrolled until it hits a house or a school or a hospital or something. Also it could get hacked. Cops aren't known for their tech savvy. Some loser could take control of it and blow up a gun shop or an abortion clinic.
I get that concern but why would a cop not be less likely to use the robots to kill if they obviously, won't fear for their lives wile operating it?
The cops will find some other acceptable excuse. I wasn't that long ago that a cop choked an unarmed man to death as three of his buddies looked on while responding to a call about a counterfeit $20 bill.